LCD screens & gaming

F

fd9

For anyone who uses an LCD monitor out there, I just bought my first LCD (w00t) hoping that my gaming experince would get better, only to find just the opposite. The so called "ghosting" that appears is horrible and just ruins the game. I read about how refresh rates on LCD's are not nearly as good as CRT's, but I never expected such a disappointment. This is sad because I'd rather now play my games on my old bulky 17" POS monitor rather then this new $400 19" flat panel.

Anyone out there feel my pain as well?

the refresh rates are different on a lcd than a crt. and i know of 2 lcd's that have a nice response time of 12ms. the lg 1730 and the sony xbrite 19", cant remeber the model number. i also think there are good ones out there by nec and samsung

fd9 said:

not really...well..,maybe a little but had u done ur homework on monitors, u would know LCD's are not great for gaming unless u are getting one of those very expensive ones with a good refresh rate.

anyway...my advice would be to try and get it exhanged or returned.
good luck.

i have a great 17" sony TFT. Always get a tft, not lcd, they are slightly different... always get a screen that is equal to or below 16ms in responce time and you'll be alright.

LCD means Liquid Crystal Display TFT means Thin Filter Technology wich is one of the technologies that makes LCD... So all the thin screens are both LCD and TFT.

Im pretty sure no TFT screens are still as good at gaming as a good CRT, but yes everything under 16 ms is good enough for most ppl but not the enthustiasts

If you want you can use the program to check how good/bad your screen is: TFT-test.exe
http://www.google.com/search?source...&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-51,GGLD:en&q=tft-test.exe

fd9 said:
For anyone who uses an LCD monitor out there, I just bought my first LCD (w00t) hoping that my gaming experince would get better, only to find just the opposite. The so called "ghosting" that appears is horrible and just ruins the game. I read about how refresh rates on LCD's are not nearly as good as CRT's, but I never expected such a disappointment. This is sad because I'd rather now play my games on my old bulky 17" POS monitor rather then this new $400 19" flat panel.

This is why you don't buy lcds!

I have an LCD and I love it. I have no idea what refresh rates do. What's the difference between 60 and 75? Could someone explain it?

It dosent matter for LCD's the refresh rate.

To gauge how good a TFT is use response times the lower the better.

A refresh rate is how manytimes an image can get put on the screen a second, in CRT terms the lower means the less images and the more work your brain has to work to make up for it which gives you screen ache.

LCD's work differently to CRT's so it dosent matter.

Anyway I have a hyundai L70S+ And tis amazing has no ghosting whatsoever and soooo much easier on the eyes and a more vibrant image quality to boot.

Because with CRT's all it felt like to me was looking into a lightbulb that spews particles at your eyes.

i bought a 19" L1915S from LG about a month ago. it's got a 12ms response time. displays colours perfectly during the day and night. can't even notice the difference between this and my Iiyama CRT. only thing, it doesn't have a DVI plug, and don't let the sun shine directly onto it otherwise everything becomes cloudy (guess thats not a problem for me here since i'm in sunny old england :rolleyes: )

but it's a decent LCD, meets my work and gaming needs effortlessly. got it for just under £300.

fd9 said:

Regarding the ghosting:
New LCDs keep this at a minimum... 16ms or less is a neccessity. It HIGHLY depends on the game though, when you start getting those "bad" colors that take longer to update, even a 16ms screen cant keep up. But even though I've had my LCD for like 7 months now (my old 21" CRT went weird on me and then died), I havent really seen this. Take a recent example, Half-Life 2. I have no ghosting whatsoever on my 16ms LG1710B.

Regarding the refresh rates:
If you run DVI, you only get 60hz, no other option. Bad says you? No its not, says I. HERTZ DONT MATTER ON AN LCD!!! The way they update is completely different from a CRT. It DOES however tear quite a bit worse than my CRT, but this can be solved by turning on v-sync.

My overall experience:
I was as negative as you at first. The colors are *STUNNING* in comparison with a CRT, but I did "see" the flaws of the LCD instantly... And I hated it. I got dizzy using it at first. A few months later however, I was actually glad I kept it. One get used to it, simple as that. Or at least I did, dont know if all does that of course.

i knew this wud lead to problems ...
like when i was trying to work on a project at my friends place the graphics looked totaly diff from on my home computer ...
lcds arent great they just look nice the ghosting effect is terrible the images look diff from all angels..
and this dude had one with a wide viewing angel
i sugest u auction it off or return it .

I have a 17" Samsung and I love it. Sooo much clearer than this POS crt im on right now. Besides if I look at CRTs too long my eyes hurt, I could stare at my lcd all day and night and my eyes would still be fine.

AzzMan said:
I have a 17" Samsung and I love it. Sooo much clearer than this POS crt im on right now. Besides if I look at CRTs too long my eyes hurt, I could stare at my lcd all day and night and my eyes would still be fine.
azzman, i'd be interested to know what 17" samsung you just got? i just got a 17" TFT by samsung myself and it has massive contrast and viewing angle (like 180 degrees) but i have yet to test the response time, it runs all the demo .exe files fine with no ghosting but i'm not sure if that gives any relation to the actual in game frames:)

according to a tomshardware article I just read a few minutes ago, most TFT's that have fast response time have narrow viewing agles, as a result of the technology that is used. I dunno about your model of course.

Phisionary said:
according to a tomshardware article I just read a few minutes ago, most TFT's that have fast response time have narrow viewing agles, as a result of the technology that is used. I dunno about your model of course.
But does it matter? Do you ever look at it from the side? Even if you do, its a TFT: Just turn it without breaking your back :E

no, of course. I don't look at my screen from more than 25degrees off of center, ever... I mean, if you wanted to show off your 1337 gaming skills to a crowd, in person, I guess it might. ...but otherwise...

I was just inferring that if the_lone_wolf's has a view angle of 180, it might be the slower type... Meh.

I switched from a 21" CRT to a 17" LiquidVideo LCD and I like the LCD much better... the ghosting is hardly noticeable (especially after you get used to it) and the colors are much brighter.

I have an LCD - the only game that it affects is something like Pro Evolution Soccer...Ghosting is fairly bad with this but you do adjust to it and its alright after a little while...

Lone_wolf, I have the 172n syncmaster right now, about a year old. Not sure of the specs, but I don't really notice ghosting in games. Maybe because my old crt was such a piece that I wouldnt notice it if it was occuring. I play mostly FPS (painkiller, doom3, hl2of course) and its never been a problem.

Seriously if u do ur homework u can pick up a really sweet LCD IMO they are so much better than CRT. No clutter, no ugliness, so much brighter and crisp. I have a Samsung 17" 172X 12ms response time. Absolutely no ghosting wat so ever. Seriously if u want good bang for buck get this monitor u wont regret it. Samsung have excelled themselves on this one.

Yeah the best TFT makes are Samsung, LG and Sony :)
With cheaper brands you are more likely to get dead pixels. I've never noticed any ghosting, even in mad games of ut04. I did get dizzy at first, i thought the screen was blurry but you quickly adjust to it.

LCD's have come a long way from what they used to be but I can still see ghosting on some of the newest ones out there. I guess it depends on the person.

Example, my friend has a LCD TFT which is 1-2yrs old by now and he claims there is no ghosting yet all I see is ghosting when I watch him play. It's bad enough watching my brother play on a CRT at 60Hz. Ahh headaches. :LOL:

Newer LCDs are better that his LCD by a long shot but I still see a bit of ghosting. I guess you can get used to that sort of thing if you havn't used a good performing CRT in a while.

AzzMan said:
Lone_wolf, I have the 172n syncmaster right now, about a year old. Not sure of the specs, but I don't really notice ghosting in games. Maybe because my old crt was such a piece that I wouldnt notice it if it was occuring. I play mostly FPS (painkiller, doom3, hl2of course) and its never been a problem.
cheers bro, i've got the "Samtron 73v" (yeah i know sounds like a dodgy movie bad guy) because it was cheap and so far have been uber impressed, i have yet to run HL2 on it but like i said it has no colour distortion at massive viewing angles, awesome brightness and contrast, plus i have yet to see any ghosting in any movies i've played through it, fingers crossed for tomorrow:D

12ms or 16ms

Hi about lcd monitors , i really want to get a 17 inch lcd. Ive seen a really good price with 16ms response time. Will 16ms be safe from ghosting? ty anyone. - o and also whats a good ratio. ive seen 450:1 , 500:1 , and 400:1

Ratio isn't such a big deal. 400:1 is fine.
Brightness is more of a consern. 300 (cd/M2) is the lowest I'd get.

12ms would be better but not all response times are created equal. ;)
Basicly they measure change time from grey-to-black-to-grey, I believe. They don't measure green-to-blue or yellow-to-black etc.

Basicly you only know the rating for one color change and you don't know how the LCD does for other color changes compared to other LCD from the response time rating. The best way is to check out the screen in person and test it. Just see which one looks and responds best.

Although I will add they are getting better at it. ;)

Buy one of the top pick LCDs (with 16ms response or better) then hook up dual monitor with your old CRT (wait to sell it untill you do this) and you will clearly see the difference - does anybody honestly think CRTs have any future?

I have one of the Dell 20 inchers (panel is by LG) and compared it side by side to my old Samsung 955df - my sister now has the sammy ;)

How about those nice widescreen Apple Cinema Displays...oh yeah...*drools* I'd love to have one of those!
I have a 17" NEC LCD and it works like a charm. At first I didn't like it because the very darks are not a clearly definable as in a CRT, but it's not too bad.
The only thing that I don't like about LCDs is that they have a "native" resolution, and when you use one other than that the picture gets blurred. This causes problems for people who's hardware isn't always up to the task of running all programs at that resolution.
(Such as I, with a native res of 1280 and only a GF4 Ti4200, am obliged to play most of the recent games that demand video card excellence[like our very own HL2!] in a window to get the best picture quality.)
All in all though I love my LCD. It's light, power efficient, has great contrast, and afiak no ghosting.

Back