Lebanese Christian politician killed

Ome_Vince

Reaction score
SOURCE

BEIRUT, Lebanon (CNN) -- Lebanese Cabinet minister Pierre Gemayel -- a key member of the anti-Syrian majority in the Lebanese parliament -- has been shot dead in an assassination that raises tensions between opponents and allies of Syria.

Gemayel, Lebanon's industry minister and a member of the Phalange Party, had just left a church and was driving through a Christian neighborhood of Beirut on Tuesday when at least one vehicle rammed his car, security officials said.

Three gunmen then shot Gemayel at point-blank range with automatic weapons, security officials told The Associated Press.

Gemayel, who was in his 30s, was said to have been hit at least twice in the head and neck. He was taken to a hospital where he later died. Lebanese television broadcast video of the bullet-riddled car.

'Hands of Syria' cited

The Lebanese government is currently locked in a power struggle with pro-Syrian factions led by Hezbollah.

Six Hezbollah members of the 24-member Lebanese Cabinet have resigned from the panel and have called for the government to step down.

But Siniora has refused to resign, saying the Lebanese constitution allows the government to stand so long as two-thirds of its members remain in office. With the death of Gemayel, that majority has been reduced and the assassination or resignation of other ministers could cause the government to fall.

I guess Hezbollah and Syria might have some new plans of their own for Lebanon...
Bastards, i guess it doesnt stop with Hariri :(

I've seen this story a few times ...I fail to see why they have to mention he was christian ..what does that have to do with anything?

oh and bush condemning Syria is just hypocritical overload ..i mean the bush admin sends suspected terrorists to Syria to be tortured, surely complicity in a crime makes them just as responsible

Indeed, perhaps they do it because theres still tension between the Hezbollah, Syria sponsored-Islamic population, and the Christian + Moderate Muslim population-> as result of the Civil War.

Back