Left 4 Dead Official System Requirements

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
We've just recieved an email from Valve's Doug Lombardi about the System Requirements for Left 4 Dead. A recent update emerged quoting incorrect system requirements on the yougamers.com website, Doug confirmed that they are incorrect. And attached the real system requirements from the actual box:

• CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)
  • RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
  • DISC DRIVE: DVD-ROM Drive
  • HARD DRIVE: At least 7.5 GB of free space
  • VIDEO: Direct X 9 compatible video card (Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0)
  • SOUND: Direct X9.0c compatible sound card

There you have it folks, Get ready.

Sounds about right to me, although 7.5 gigs is steep! Well I guess all those effects have to go somewhere.

That 7.5gb is indeed steep, Glenn. Would it be less if we already had the Source Engine etc. installed? I'd assume it would be less if we had the Orange Box.

Sweet! Guess you can delete my thread now. Be sure to look this Friday for Festival du Jeu Video in France: http://www.festivaldujeuvideo.com/. They might have intro video's on the story and maybe let the public play the Infected. Why not, eh? They had a preview, game is close to release, might as well let the public play that side.

Aw shit, don't tell me this won't run on my machine, my CPU's only a single core and it isn't 64 bit. DDDDDD:

That 7.5gb is indeed steep, Glenn. Would it be less if we already had the Source Engine etc. installed? I'd assume it would be less if we had the Orange Box.

The engine itself is tiny, the size comes from the creative assets, textures, maps, models, sounds, I would say most of that will be new stuff, however they may reuse the general source base cache files, which might shave a gig off that, not much more though, also I dare say alot of the space is taken up with speech.

As for the CPU requirement, I cant tell if they have listed 3 types there, or 2, it looks like its listing a 3.0 ghz P4 single core OR duel core OR AMD64X2

Aw shit, don't tell me this won't run on my machine, my CPU's only a single core and it isn't 64 bit. DDDDDD:
No it's for a P4 of 3.0GHz, or a dual core CPU or a AMD64X2 (or higher) CPU.

No need to be rude Lobster!

Damn, lucid. I had that processor like 4 or 5 years ago.

Source engine has always been sweet, fast and smooth. Let's see how this new, revamped version will behave. I see a lot of new processing effects and lights/shadows tricks, and the actors (survivors and infected) look very good.

Lots of harddrive. As pointed out. Yay for alchohol.

For a comparison, this is for Team Fortress 2:

Minimum System

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 1.7 MHz
Display Card: DirectX 8 compatible graphics card
Memory: 512MB
Free Disk Space: 5GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista

Recommended System

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0 MHz
Display Card: DirectX 9 compatible graphics card
Memory: 1MB
Free Disk Space: 5GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista

They have upped the requirements, but this is the most advanced thing that has come out of Valve yet. Think Lucid has to go for a whole new PC because AMD is no more. D: Just remember that $800 or even $500 can run this game on high quality. *Btw here is an ancient survey that Valve needs to update on the hardware of clients: http://steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Dude Clear Sky must be shockingly bad for you. :S I run a Q6600 and even I feel it jerk.

Clear Sky runs like a dream on medium for me, just has rather lengthy load times.

edit : Oh well, we'll see how I stack up against the demo.
I'm always behind on the technology when it comes to gaming, which is why I'm going to be quitting soon.

Valve like a lot of HDD. No wonder I've used half of my 250GB :(

I've got 3500+ at 2.21 GHz...it's 64 but on 32 windows..***ns everything fine so far...shouldn't be different this time...hopefully!

DAMN! 7.5 gigs required. The minimum required sounds fair. My current rig will run it, but I don't wanna run it at minimum and so a new rig sounds appropriate.

Sounds fine.

Although I'm worried about memory - I have 2GB (Vista), and it struggles to play TF2 on Ultra high. (Takes a lot of memory to load all those textures, I'm certain it's flowing out on the pagefile which is slow) Might be wise to get 4GB for this on Vista, and 3GB for XP? Or at least one more than recommended :)

I wonder if they've fixed the multithreading command and if they have then I hope they update the code for TF2!

Although I'm worried about memory - I have 2GB (Vista), and it struggles to play TF2 on Ultra high.

I got 4GB under Vista and TF2 runs on Ultra high, as well as everything else.
So yes, get yourself some more ram, it doesn't cost anything these days compared to what I had to pay for my old DDR1 ram :D

lol @ them dropping dx8 support.

Now if someone is getting hardcore issues with the game (which is inevitable), they won't be able to see if dx9 is the problematic.

edit : oh wait, I thought it was the minimum requirement, nvm.

That's equal or better than a P4 3GHz in most games. (there were also 3000+ and 3200+ versions that ran at 2GHz)

Well, that's reassuring I guess. :)

I was hoping VALVe wouldn't forget about their less fortunate customers just yet.

Sweet baby Jesus. I need to delete a whole lot of useless crap from c: if I want to install L4D.

maybe... I will get the specs from my (crappy) pc 4 u guys so u can tell me if it will run r not.

Oh wait just looked at the box at it says Mature 17+ which is usually a BBFO rating of 15.

Kay I'm not good with comps. Will it run fine on this?

2 gigs of ram

Radeon 2400 HD

Intel pentium dual 1.6 ghz

Back