Letter to Irrational Games (System Shock 3)

H

Heleos

Hi, I am trying to get people to support my post on the Irrational Games message board concerning a sequel be made to System Shock 2, imo, the best game ever made. If you want to support this "cause" please reply to my post on the Irrational Games message board. Thanks! Here is the link:

http://www.irrationalgames.com/forum/topic.asp?id=763

System shock? wasn't that that game where you could like pick up anything and do anything... made by Eidos or something?

I'm actually busy already trying to get Black Isle and Interplay to develop Fallout 3 : )

Sorry one cause at a time.

System Shock 2 was brilliant, but the makers cannot be forced to make a sequel. If they have good ideas and they deem it viable to create (in terms of money/sales) then the game will be made. Otherwise it won't, no matter how many people start threads.

You can probably find it knocking about some store I bet. Didn't it use the same engine as Thief or something? I dunno. There was a demo though, I bet you can find that

ok found the demo for ya http://www.gamesdomain.com/demos/demo/883.html

play it late at night in the dark with the sound turned up.. enjoy ;)

Thanks. You're on my buddy list.:E

Woo, big file (for 56k). I'll download it later.

hehe I didn't think I'd be on anyone's buddy list :D

I just downloaded it, the game used to scare me trying to play it, haven't touched it since forever but think I'll take a look at it now. Bet I don't play for long before turning it off from a bad scare lol

Edit: oh I think the first one on the list is the fastest server btw

ah System Shock 2 :) Scariest game ever (makes Silent Hill look like a kiddies tv show)

At it's time SS2 was amazing \o/ and remains my fave pc game (it's aged alot now tho :/)

SS3 would own HL2 :D

System Shock 2 was certainly an awesome game, despite the now dated graphics anyone who hasn't tried this game ought to get it. I got a copy from www.half.com myself. Also, check Fileplanet.com for the hi-res texture update made by a crazed fan - makes many of the monsters look ten times better than the originals!
I'm headed home in two weeks for a long weekend, I'm definately bringing SS2 back with me! Should have known I would be waiting longer than Sept 30th....

Originally posted by )[eVo]( Para
I'm actually busy already trying to get Black Isle and Interplay to develop Fallout 3 : )

Sorry one cause at a time.

Erm, news for you... it's in developement, was announced in a magazine :p

nooooooooooooooo! I just tried installing the SS2 demo and it refuses to install on "WinNT because of some DirectX 6.1 limitation" ?? lol.. damn I didn't realise the game was so old, doesn't even realise its Win2k and DX9 damnit now what am I gonna do, I'll have to like, do some work or sometihng now argh! lol

ok sussed a work around if anyone else finds they get the same error

1) installed the latest winrar program
2) unpack the system2.exe manually with it
3) go to the shock directory and run shock2.exe

then it appears to work.. PHEW!

and damn is this game fast, last time I played it I must have been using a P200 or something haha much faster than I remember, neato :)

Edit: ok screw that, it'll play the first part without problems, couldn't move onto the actual proper game part of the demo without it quitting back to windows.. Well I guess I'll just have to get in line with everyone else hoping for a SS3 to be made

I swear I heard someone say its gone freewere, ah well...must of been dreaming.

Originally posted by simmo

The first one and hardly remembered SS is probably freeware by now, or atleast abandonware. But I have faint memories of it and I don't think it was very good :( I cuold be wrong though, my memory isn't what it used to be

Originally posted by simmo

It has. You can download it free and legally at home of the underdogs. And it has the co-op patch already installed.

Originally posted by mrBadger
Erm, news for you... it's in developement, was announced in a magazine :p

Well kinda, they're calling it Van Buren. The Fallout fanatics are convinced it's a fallout game but who knows ;)

Am I the only gamer that was too scared of SS2 to play it? It's been sat on the shelf for the last 2 year, but everytime there's a noise in the distance, I s**t myself, jump, and move the mouse so I end up looking at the ceiling.

I'm more scared of it than I am halflife :)

Originally posted by Mother
Am I the only gamer that was too scared of SS2 to play it? It's been sat on the shelf for the last 2 year, but everytime there's a noise in the distance, I s**t myself, jump, and move the mouse so I end up looking at the ceiling.

I'm more scared of it than I am halflife :)

Its the scariest game I've ever played. And also the only one I ever got motion sickness from. (I was watching someone else play for atleast 2 hours....oddly when i'm playing, there's no problem).

Originally posted by Brian Damage
Home of the Underdog? Link, anybody? It's not warez, is it? Hope not.

I think its abandonware.. thats a gray area at best as to it being legal or not though, seems to just cover very old games and those that would hardly bring any money in for the companies who made them now, most of the companies in question don't even exist these days or have long since been swallowed up by Sony

Unfortunately many of these old games just flat wont run on todays machines, most require DOS and probably weren't even around for Windows (maybe win3.1 though heh) Course there's a lot out there that the companies themselves have made public, Elite, Frontier and First Encounters are three I know of that are legally free to play now, buggers to try get running on win2k though, too much hassle dropping out to dual boot into win9x to play them heh

Originally posted by Fenric1138
Elite, Frontier and First Encounters are three I know of that are legally free to play now, buggers to try get running on win2k though, too much hassle dropping out to dual boot into win9x to play them heh

Got all three. If you don't want to have to dual boot (I assume you're doing that because 2k doesn't have that dos-emulator-ish thing) to play First Encounters, there's a version of the original source you can download that's recompiled to run under windows. You just download it off the web, install it in your FFE directory, and off you go playing in windows. And even IN a window. And it also fixes most of the old FFE bugs.

System Shock 2 was awesome, Well I only played the demo but I loved what I saw. Also in the demo you could use all cheats. :D

Must... resist buying... this game... only 7 gigs of HD space left... must preserve last bit of HD space... Ah screw it, I am going to get this game tonight!

Originally posted by Brian Damage
Got all three. If you don't want to have to dual boot (I assume you're doing that because 2k doesn't have that dos-emulator-ish thing) to play First Encounters, there's a version of the original source you can download that's recompiled to run under windows. You just download it off the web, install it in your FFE directory, and off you go playing in windows. And even IN a window. And it also fixes most of the old FFE bugs.

so FFE can run in win2k afterall then? YES!! thats a good few years or so of my life put aside to play that again, hmm add that to HL2, mods, HL3 yup I may aswell retire cause I can't see me working again this side of 50 :D

Yeah System shock 2 is defintely the creepiest game I've ever played. The atmosphere starts off bad and just gets darker and darker the more you go on as the story develops though your grisily discoveries.

The atmosphere never lets up either because of the fact that even when you access an interface the game never pauses and the mobs actively wander around the sections (which makes visiting even old areas uncomfortably tense).

The sounds and voice acting were awesome as well and really added to the tension and believability of the story. I'm not sure what was worse, the distant clicks and whirls of the alien midwifes when you were low on ammo, or listening to the desperate blair witch style voice recordings of the ships crew.

My download is off of a different site, but in any case its done in 30min. Cant wait to freak my self out.

Back