light_dynamic does not work.

Reaction score
I was working on the 'Dynamic Swinging Lights' technique. When I completed it, everything was fine except for the light_dynamic entity. It simply refuses to give off any light. I've worked with it for hours. So later I tested to see if it would work by replacing it with light_spot instead. It did. However, that makes it so the light doesn't move with the swinging lantern.

To make things more complicated the light radius seen in in the graphics window has now dissapeared. The yellow circle (to modify the radius) in the top view has dissapeared, as well.

Please save me from this misery! :) Much appreciation.

Well, did you try grouping the light_dynamic with your light_spot? Just an idea..

grouping has no effect outside of Hammer.

if the yellow radius helper has disappeared, check the radius settings in the entity window. you may find they're set too low. increase them until the radius helper extends beyond the room the light is in, to make sure you get a decent pool of light on floor and walls

I set the radius to various inches (20, 80, 10) to no avail :[.

I figured a screenshot might help....

scrshtdy4.jpg

(Remember that it wasn't working even before the radius wasn't showing up!)

For more reference, here's everything I parented to:
dyn_rope is keyframed to dyn_rope_end
dyn_spot, dyn_light, and dyn_rope_end are all parented to dyn_lightmodel

It's also interesting to observe that some of the lamp model is lighted up in the game (but nothing else). And it tends to be in a red light. I don't know if this helps or not but whatever works.
my.php

oh wait a minute, you said some of the lamp is lit up. this may be a vital clue

there's a weird glitch in hammer in which the light_dynamic light cone you see in the 3D window is drawn upside down, so it's pointing at the ceiling when in fact it's angled down in-game. try rotating the light_dynamic until the light cone in hammer is pointing at the ceiling

sounds like at the moment your light_dynamic is lighting up the inside of the lamp model and nothing beyond, because it's pointing upward from the lightbulb

I hardly ever use light_dynamic and here is a big reason why.

I think I followed the same tut as you and had no luck either. Then I downloaded the example map and that only lit up props but no brushes.

And throught the comments there were only W00ts and Yay!'s so I just put it down to my hardware not handling these lights very well.. Maybe I was wrong.

Maybe the fact that these lights do show in GMod should have got me thinking :S

oh wait a minute, you said some of the lamp is lit up. this may be a vital clue

there's a weird glitch in hammer in which the light_dynamic light cone you see in the 3D window is drawn upside down, so it's pointing at the ceiling when in fact it's angled down in-game. try rotating the light_dynamic until the light cone in hammer is pointing at the ceiling

sounds like at the moment your light_dynamic is lighting up the inside of the lamp model and nothing beyond, because it's pointing upward from the lightbulb

but then there would still be "light", wouldnt there? the game is saying there's no light at all. also, wouldnt some of the ceiling be lit up?

Back