Lighting and Leaf Help

Mapster

Reaction score
I've been working on a map for Zombie Master which is a half-life 2 mod. My map started off really good but now my lighting isn't working right, It doesn't bounce off walls and light up other areas of the area so it only lights up certain parts of the map.

Here is a picture of what it looked like when everything as going well.
zmorangexv6.png

Here is a picture of the map before the lighting stopped bouncing (i added in bloom after this happened)
zmorange01yv6.png

Also in the map only has 1 visleaf in it even after i place in some visleaf brushes so the map always displays the entire map where i want it to have visleafs all over the map to break the map up.

Anyone have an idea of what is going on?

Cheers,
Mapster

EDIT:
Okay i fixed the leaf problem, found heaps of leaks in my map by lookign in the .txt, but it it's still showing the rooms which are in different vis leafs and are not in-sight of the player.

Your compile seems to fail. Please post the compile log.

The .txt is too long to post in 1 post... there is this line though:
Leaf 325 (portal 989) with too many portals. Use vbsp -glview to compile, then glview -portal -portalhighlight X or -leafhighlight L to view the problem.

There is this error as well and i can't see how the entity which the co-ordinates point to is causing a leak.

materialPath: e:\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\zombie_master\materials
Loading E:\vmfs\Zombie Master\zm_orange\zm_orange_14.vmf
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10**** leaked ****
Entity info_target (-632.00 -1188.00 80.00) leaked!

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1896.0, 0.0, 504.0)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
Leaf 1 contents:
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1484.0, 0.0, -8.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1644.0, 0.0, -8.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1416.0, 0.0, -8.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1348.0, 0.0, -8.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1212.0, 0.0, -8.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1120.0, 0.0, -8.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1424.0, 0.0, -32.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

*** Suppressing further FindPortalSide errors.... ***
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 48 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (2)

Leaf 325 (portal 989)

This probably means that you haven't been using func_details like you should. Causes VIS and RAD to fail and thus you get only direct (not so good) lighting.

Loaf up the pointfile in hammer to find the leak.

The leak is an env_target which is inside the map, i can't see any reason why it's leaking.
The map which is leaking has heaps of brush work but i have made everything so that they can't use func_brush's. Do i have to add a back to the brushwork and make them all an entity?

Back