Lightning Problem

maveryck21

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm making a map of a forest i used some new models that i have created but when i try to give it a good light and shadows it do'nt work. In the first picture the tree and bush shadows aare disabled. In the others the shadows are enabled and the last picture is like a top view of the map. The shadows of my model don't seem right.

What do you tinhk i can do? Is there anyway for controlling the shadows of a model?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 164
Hey there,

As far as im aware it could be a number of things.
Im sorry if im partronising but be sure your compiling with fast/normal vis, that usually sorts out lighting with calculated radiosity etc, softening shadows.
Also try turning down the lightmap grid scale of the surfaces accepting shadows, this will drastically increase file size and compile time if you go over board.

Other than that, i dont see why there should be any problems..... how many light sources in the map? Maybe its something to do with that, it tends to be light related 99% of the time when i get errors or artifacts.

i dont remember bushes ever having shadows in the source engine anyways

you could always create the models as physics props, then motion-disable them. you'd get nice crisp shadows them. your fps might suffer though...

I think it's because you have poly's with alpha channels.
In source, if you point the flashlight to a model that is a plane (2 triangles) one side will light up, the other one wont. And I think judging from the screenshots, it's the same thing. One side of the tree looks nice, the other one, dark. So I think it has something to with that. Maybe try pointing the light_env straight down, just as a test, see if they light up all the way around that way (-90).

giant384 said:
i dont remember bushes ever having shadows in the source engine anyways
I'm thinking that most models have shadows disabled because model shadows are inherently low-quality. Of course, I have no substantiation for this; I'll have to check the SP maps...

Back