Looking to upgrade for next gen gaming.

Pain86

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade for next gen pc gaming. Can you guys suggest on parts i should upgrade?

My current system. Pc was bought in Dec 2003.

Processor: AMD Athlon?„? XP Processor 3200+
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe NVIDIA® nForce2?„? SPP Motherboard DDR
Memory: 1GB Corsair XMS DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 2x512MB
Video Card: ATI RADEON?„? 9800 XT 256MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video
Hard Drive: 160GB Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA 7200rpm w/ 8MB Cache
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 6.1
Network Card: NVIDIA® Integrated 100Mb Ethernet Modem: US Robotics 56K Voice Modem PCI
Optical Drive One: Plextor Plexwriter Premium 52x32x52 CD-RW
Optical Drive Two: Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD±R/W Drive

I just bought a new monitor ( Samsung SM-226BW 22")

What else should i upgrade? Budget = 1 million $.

Thanks.

I'm thinking of upgrading proper too (my computer's older than yours :p), and I was definately thinking of getting that same monitor. when you've had a look at it, tell me what it's like.

i would recommend doing a full pc overhaul if you want a true next gen gaming pc. Upgrading will only cause future upgrade to be a problem later on.

i would recommend doing a full pc overhaul if you want a true next gen gaming pc. Upgrading will only cause future upgrade to be a problem later on.

So you say i need to upgrade but its not worth it because i'll just have to upgrade again later on?

So you say i need to upgrade but its not worth it because i'll just have to upgrade again later on?

Yes like Giant said, if you're upgrading, better do the whole paste and not be cheap about it. Upgrade for the next 3-4 years. Get the nForce 680i for Intel CPUs or nForce 590 for AMD CPUs to get the benefit of full x16 by x16 SLI-mode instead of the standard x8 by x8 SLI-mode MOBO, You dont have to dual-card now but the door is open for you.

Good Luck.

What form of currency is that? Euro or Pounds?

Trying to see how much it will be if I want to get it.

I'm looking to upgrade for next gen pc gaming. Can you guys suggest on parts i should upgrade?

My current system. Pc was bought in Dec 2003.

Processor: AMD Athlon??? XP Processor 3200+
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe NVIDIA® nForce2??? SPP Motherboard DDR
Memory: 1GB Corsair XMS DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 2x512MB
Video Card: ATI RADEON??? 9800 XT 256MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video
Hard Drive: 160GB Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA 7200rpm w/ 8MB Cache
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 6.1
Network Card: NVIDIA® Integrated 100Mb Ethernet Modem: US Robotics 56K Voice Modem PCI
Optical Drive One: Plextor Plexwriter Premium 52x32x52 CD-RW
Optical Drive Two: Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD±R/W Drive

I just bought a new monitor ( Samsung SM-226BW 22")

What else should i upgrade? Budget = 1 million $.

Thanks.

Al say; Upgrade everything except HDD, Sound Card, CD ROM and Monitor.
Decent components, good for up to 6yrs would cost you about $2500.00 including dual card SLI. (At least that's my price range).

tis technology, you can buy the latest and greatest stuff out right now then a few months from now there will be better jazz out on the market like quad cores.

tis technology, you can buy the latest and greatest stuff out right now then a few months from now there will be better jazz out on the market like quad cores.

Then you buy quad-core compatible MB. You must always be looking ahead of technology. Sometime you like to upgrade and sometimes you must upgrade. Instincts will more surely advice you when it is the right time to upgrade. Remember the 7900? and then 7950? while my 6800GT (AGP) card was doing just fine? But now 8800 and DX10 is a must. Quad-core dependent programs are still way to come and too far away, we must go into full dual-core dependents, before we see the need and switch to quad-core.

One thing you must know is that; this is Chipset and dual-core era, the (x8) by (x8) SLI is yesterday's technology, today full (x16) by (x16) now rules, link-boost, graphic-card boost and dual-gigabit is what people admire.

Good Luck.

Back