Mappers who can make use of...

Canuck

Reaction score

Hey :), I am the programmer and team lead for the Dreamscape : Pin Point Blank mod. I am looking for mappers who can make use of our cool features like Stealth, Parallax mapping, Swaying Grass, cool post-processing shader effects and more.

A lot of the stuff we are developing has not been made public yet, but I will show you our stealth system in effect, which is a lot like Splinter Cell.

stealth04ap.jpg

stealth17ce.jpg

Here's a shot of our parallax mapping feature:

We have completed a lot of stuff, but we are not ready to show it yet. Once our new website is up we will start to post some more updated material. If you want further information about features or anything else, please e-mail me.

We are looking for good mappers only. You will need a DirectX 9.0 video card to take advantage of some of these features.

If you are interested or want to know more, please e-mail me at [email protected]. My msn is [email protected] .

If you have any general questions, just reply here. Thanks.

And to sum up, we are looking for skilled MAPPERS. Thanks a lot! :)

Wow brilliant stuff. Does parallax mapping require a lot of RAM?
Do you have it just applied to certain textures or are all your decals utilizing it?
I'd love to see it in action as it looks awesome. It gives a sort of depth that bump mapping could only dream of :p. I see why they call it virtual displacement mapping.
I am already a mapper on another mod but I wish our mod had that :(

Adding parallax mapping has almost 0 cost to performace. It is only a small tweak to the existing shaders with a few lines of code added.

To use parallax mapped textures in-game, you must create a height map, a normal map, and the regular texture map and then reference our custom shader in your material file.

If you do not want to manually create a normal map + a height map, you can use some tools that will automatically generate them for you.

And we have a lot of other goodies besides parallax mapping which we have not made public yet!

But we have made this public: (It's our cool swaying grass effect)
http://moddb.com/images/cache/mods/55/5569/gallery/water_36367.jpg

And it can be in your maps! Imagine that!

I'm still looking for a good mapper! Thanks ;)

so it's true that parralax is implemented but disabled? or just really easy to do?

I'm not giving it away. If you're a skilled mapper, just join our team. That's the easy way to get access to parallax mapping. :)

dont worry someone will write a tutorial for it soon enough.

Canuck said:
I'm not giving it away. If you're a skilled mapper, just join our team. That's the easy way to get access to parallax mapping. :)

there's like 2 other mod teams with parallax mapping already....

Wow, a non-profit mod not sharing help and tips to other non-profit mods...so much for the HL2 'community'...

Calm down guys, he probably could have worded that a bit better.

Bit of an odd statement, "Mappers who can use Parallax mapping". I'd assume anyone can slap down a texture into a map :p

-Angry Lawyer

Maybe he intended to phrase it "Mappers who can utilize parallax mapping well"

Then again I don't even know what parallax mapping is.

Here is a comparison between normal mapping and parallax mapping:
Parallax Map
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/1104/testb00032qr.jpg

Normal Map
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7821/testb00058eu.jpg

The method of implementing parallax mapping has been described many times in the hlcoding mailing list and the chatbear forums. Greg, from the Valandil mod, was the first one to implement it, but he did not give us a step-by-step tutorial, he simply said that it was a matter of tweaking the shader source and enabling it.

If you have an understanding of HLSL and C++, this is a very easy task. I was able to implement it in a day or so.

MISSION: To exterminate every son of a bitch

Wait, wait, how do we tell?

Sprite said:
Wow, a non-profit mod not sharing help and tips to other non-profit mods...so much for the HL2 'community'...

i'm sure he (and like every other mod out there) would rather release his mod first, THEN show off code, rather than the other way around... thats if he wanted to show off the actual code :)

can you show us that grass feature? :)

btw, that comparison of paralax and normal mapping, isnt that Bump mapping your talking about?

he showed the grass in a screeny.

I'd assume anyone can slap down a texture into a map

what about blind people? or people with no hands.

he meens that they meen bump not normal. crikey that relief mapping is insane.

am i right to look in imageloader.cpp or have i got the complete wrong end of the stick.

Relief Mapping only works on the very newest line of cards, and unlike parallax mapping, you need a highend pc to be able to run it at acceptable fps. So thus personaly I doubt it would be worth spending the effort to implement.

Of course, there are several versions of Parallax Mapping, some which actually get pretty close to relief mapping.

Best of luck Canuck on finding your level designer. Knowing what you stand for, I can highly recommend Dreamscape for any tallented mapper looking for a team. It's one of those mods that actually will be released, without doubt, and has interesting gameplay features along with it.

i noticed in the model view it actualy has a selection box for parallax mapping. when i did a search for it in visual studio i found nothing though.

I'm guessing it's a hell of a lot simple than it looks... wouldn't be surprised if Valve show us how before long.

If I find the relevant code needed to do it, I'll make it publicly available, just so you can all stop panicking ;)

-Angry Lawyer

I havn't even heard of parallex mapping before, so i am useless :D

it's just another way of rendering a bump map, ,,, dont worry about having to learna gang of new stuff like normal mapping

Is tehre a place I could download or get the programme so i could give it a try?

Thanks allot :)
It doesn't tell you how you get it to work :|

Those relief mapping videos are impressive. I particularly like the one where they modify the shaders in Doom 3 and Quake 4 to use it.

Canuck said:
Adding parallax mapping has almost 0 cost to performace.

parallel mapping can be done even in doom3 engine also.but it takes toll on machine's performance.

Back