Marc Laidlaw hates starwars!

Haha, Laidlaw agrees with the Samon: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2312556&postcount=7

The first Half-Life movie treatment pitched to us climaxed with a tearful reunion between enslaved Vortigaunts and their Vortiwives and children. The last one I saw had Black Mesa invaded by a cavalry unit, just so as to feature a scene of bullsquids tearing into armoured horses... Which I admit is sort of cool, but has nothing to do with Half-Life."

:LOL:

Laidlaw: Roughly the same as the odds of Conan the Barbarian becoming the governor of California.

Stern would love that. :p

I like Laidlaws approach to Sci-fi and Storytelling in general.

I think it's why the Combine use more interesting methods than big ol' star ships.

Laidlaw is a smart man. He knows the cliches and avoided them, and the result was HL.

And his view on Star Wars kicks ass. :D

He obviously likes big ol' starships though.

Well, this explains his anger against Gearbox (see Star Wars references in Gearbox games).

Well, this explains his anger against Gearbox (see Star Wars references in Gearbox games).
There are many Star Wars references in the original Half-Life. One of the most obvious examples would be Barney's line "I have a bad feeling about this," a very common Star Wars-ian thread. Therefore, you are wrong.

Your sig makes me want to punch myself in the face until it partially resembles goddamned Uwe Boll. Pro-Shephard...Pro-Cubbage...there is no god.

Nice avatar you got there, Samon!

Your sig makes me want to punch myself in the face until it partially resembles goddamned Uwe Boll. Pro-Shephard...Pro-Cubbage...there is no god.

Hear, hear...

Sounds like a troll to me.

Pro-Rosenberg? Omega, your sig's just gotta be trolling. No one can be Pro-Rosenberg.

And what'd I say about Race-X?! :flame:

Sounds like a troll to me.
Indeed. How dare that bastard up there have an opinion? Showing one's own partiality (or lack thereof) to a certain subject matter is a clear sign of trolling, just like if you said you didn't like Star Wars. That's trolling! Or, maybe if you said you do like Star Wars. That's trolling as well! The moral of the story: don't not never unlike no nothing.

He's not a troll. :p

Anti-Mossman is just completely unacceptable though.

I never like Star Wars either.

Edit: Why the hell do people (Even Laidlaw, it seems) think that a Half-Life film would need to have Gordon in it?

I like Star Wars. But does that mean I should hate Half-Life now?

Edit: Why the hell do people (Even Laidlaw, it seems) think that a Half-Life film would need to have Gordon in it?

What's the point of the movie if it isn't Gordon? You are hardly making a Half-life movie if there is no Gordon.

What's the point of the movie if it isn't Gordon? You are hardly making a Half-life movie if there is no Gordon.

Exactly

Oh and Omega1 I agree with the anti antlion, anti Alyx, anti Mossman and anti dog part of your sig :p

On topic, I don't hate Star Wars but I can't say I'm that fond of it either....
However I find the comparison made in an interview, that Episode 2 is going to be the equivalent of The Two Towers rather annoying.(yes I HATE LOTR with a passion)

edit: "PRO FISHERMAN" ROFL

I guess what he's saying is that the Black Mesa Incident could be portrayed from another POV.

Are you really saying what makes Half-Life Half-Life is Gordon? He's only useful for the player to project themselves onto. He's not a character.

Would it not be better to have a film from a different perspective (Where it would actually be possible to learn something new about the story, rather than just seeing what we've already seen in film form)?

Are you really saying what makes Half-Life Half-Life is Gordon? He's only useful for the player to project themselves onto. He's not a character.

The very narrative of Half-life is woven into the player and their role as Gordon Freeman. It's of no value to the argument if he is or isn't a character; all events focus on him and that, in itself, makes Half-life his story.

That's funny, because there was Star Wars Episode 2 in TV tonight and I played Half-Life 2... I quite like Star Wars universe but some parts of movies are relatively stupid. I prefer other sci-fi stories and movies.
Fortunately, Marc Laidlaw is influenced by style of Philip K. Dick (my favourite author) and H. P. Lovecraft, not by shitty Star Treks and random pop-culture "sci-fi".

Pro-Fisherman? Who isn't Pro-Fisherman? The guy was a legend!

On topic, I personally didn't mind Star-Wars, but I feel that they could have done so much more than what they did with the world in the movies. That said, all the other products focused around the movies are terrible anyway.

starwars was never my thing, now battletech, thats more to my liking.

at the moment though i'd say warhammer 40k is the best sci fi setting, simply because of 3 words. Orks in Space

I was only 4 when Star Wars came out. Mr. Laidlaw would've been 17 or so--old enough to make objective judgements about something many of us just unthinkingly accept as classic because it's been there with us since we were toddlers, embryos, etc.

I like some of the Star Wars films, but I wouldn't say they were good science fiction. If you think about it, they're more like intergalactic sword and sorcery--witness J.G. Ballard's famous panning of the films as being like "Hobbits in space."

I especially appreciate ML's none too diplomatic panning of other action sci-fi games, most of which only work on a Marvel Comics-level. With the HL games, on the other hand, people follow the story as they would with a movie franchise. So much of what is good about them comes from the characters and narrative.

Good old Laidlaw. I knew he was alright when I saw him wearing an "Eightball" t-shirt in an interview once.

WOOT! go Laidlaw!

Alright I like star wars but it is over rated :p

I think it would be good to have any Half-life film from a non-Gordon perspective.

If it was from someone else's PoV I think Laidlaw would be better able to resist pressure (****in Studios) to make it into some dumb Doom-like deathfest ignoring the brilliant stories the HL universe has to offer. Something I think none of us wants to happen.

Some action in the film = good. All action and no dialogue = bad. In my opinion a Children of Men-esque balance between action and plot would be ideal.

Oh, Piggy. And you're one of my favorite guys. You break my heart. ;(

*Punches Pig in the face*

Back