Mario 64 vs HL2...structurally similar?

shaggy2039

Reaction score
As you all have probably read, Mario 64 is one of gabe's favorite games, as it should be, it was a masterpiece for it's time...
However, I'm thinking the actual structure of HL2 might end up very similar to Mario 64 in terms of advancing thru the various locations in HL2...I've read in a few interviews with doug lombardi regarding the trainstation video, that the player will not be able to advance to other areas of the trainstation until certain tasks are met....very interesting because in mario 64, you had a massive wide open outdoor area which could be compared to city 17 in terms of being the "hub" of the game....I'm thinking that as you progress thru the game and return to the central "hub", that things will gradually deteriorate over the course of the game within city 17 and be visually noticeable....

any thoughts?

Interesting theory. I think that HL2 is still going the route of a traditional FPS, level after level after level. You may revisit certain areas, but I doubt it is going to be like Mario 64.

do we get to jump through enormous pictures in half life 2?

shaggy2039 said:
As you all have probably read, Mario 64 is one of gabe's favorite games, as it should be, it was a masterpiece for it's time...
However, I'm thinking the actual structure of HL2 might end up very similar to Mario 64 in terms of advancing thru the various locations in HL2...I've read in a few interviews with doug lombardi regarding the trainstation video, that the player will not be able to advance to other areas of the trainstation until certain tasks are met....very interesting because in mario 64, you had a massive wide open outdoor area which could be compared to city 17 in terms of being the "hub" of the game....I'm thinking that as you progress thru the game and return to the central "hub", that things will gradually deteriorate over the course of the game within city 17 and be visually noticeable....

any thoughts?

Lots of games are like that, and what's really crazy is games with those features are some of my favorites:

* Theif 3: Deadly Shadows - City
* Beyond Good & Evil - Island City
* Mario 64 - Castle
* Zelda: Wind Waker - Sea

Pretty cool.

SubKamran said:
Lots of games are like that, and what's really crazy is games with those features are some of my favorites:

* Mario 64 - Castle

Pretty cool.

yep...me too...I love those games...I think it'd be an amazing way to segway between the various locations in half life 2, due to how varied the locations are...it makes sense that they would use City 17 as a "hub" for tha game, and don't forget, they've said many times that you could get lost in city 17 for hours...
that's alot like the games u mentioned...

"Eeetsa me, Gordon! Heeere we goooo!"

Just like Hyrule in my all-time favorite game, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

They did say you roam around city 17 allot trying to figure things out, doing your own thing. This is going to be a great action/adventure game.

they've said many times that you could get lost in city 17 for hours...
did they actually say that? because its not possible to build maps that big...

CreamOfetus said:

Um, yes it is. Ever played De_walmart is CS?

CreamOfetus said:

can't remember the exact interview, but they did say that...

oh but if u have say 4-5 maps that make up city 17 than it could b posilble....

hopefully gordon will exclaim "WAAHHOOOOO" everytime he jumps

I think it's very possible...I also think that with the physics based things in city 17 that you could find and mess around with, it'll definitely be that long...playing with cranes, trashing cars, etc...
and I also thought they said there were multiple ways of entry to certain areas...

noones probably ever heard of this map.

it was called es_losangeles

it was the biggest map of all time for cs. it was an escape map. me and like 3 friends played on it, and we never saw each other. the map was so ****ing enormous, it took 7 minutes at least to get from one side of the map to the other. not to mention the huge building @ one side that has like 8 enterable floors. it was so enormous.

It's a good theory but I really doubt it. Valve have emphasized that the plot and narrative in the game are very important and that it will be relatively linear (though the combat will be open and characters will respond slightly different depending on how you play). Chances are the events in the game are designed to be presented in a certain way that Valve feel is most exciting/dramatic/etc.

Shouldn't this thread belong in the Speculation Forum?

where did you find out mario 64 was one of his favorite games? first his knives, now this, we are learning alot about the man lately :)

Thadius Dean said:
where did you find out mario 64 was one of his favorite games? first his knives, now this, we are learning alot about the man lately :)
It was in some interview. BTW, it's pretty much an industry standard:

If you're a developer... Shigeru Miyamoto is your god.

SubKamran said:

* Mario 64 - Castle

Pretty cool.

Don't forget Deus EX

OCybrManO said:
If you're a developer... Shigeru Miyamoto is your god.

he is the creator of mario or the founder of Nintendo?

<RJMC> said:
he is the creator of mario or the founder of Nintendo?

Yep.

It's easy o assume from the videos that you do leave City 17 at some point in time. I wouldn't be surprised if you return at least once.

When Shigeru Miyamoto was hired Nintendo was just mediocre in the video games department. He was hired as Nintendo's first staff artist (they didn't really need one at the time, but his father was a good friend of Hiroshi Yamauchi, the head of Nintendo of Japan). He made Donkey Kong with no prior programming experience, and he did the music himself on a small keyboard. He is most famous for the Mario games and the Legend of Zelda series, but he has worked on tons of Nintendo games.

He was ranked #1 on GameSpy's "30 Most Influential People in Gaming" list.

He was also the first inductee in the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences' Hall of Fame.

Miyamoto, it was soon apparent, had the same talent for video games as the Beatles had for music. It's impossible to calculate Miyamoto's value to Nintendo, and it's not unreasonable to question whether Nintendo would have succeeded without him.
On a semi-related note: While touring Japan, Paul McCartny turned down Mount Fuji to go see Shigeru Miyamoto instead.

Heh, now you guys have gotten me all excited about expecting to find a giant rubber face of Gordon before the main menu that you can twist with the cursor. :p

I can't wait to see what I can do with his glasses. :p

Miyamoto is the closest thing the gaming community has to being a god...I don't care what anyone thinks of nintendo, he's made some of the best games we'll ever play...If Gabe's influence invovles any miyamoto games, we're all better off for it...

can we pick dead combines' pockets to save up for extra lives??? lol

Back