Mass Effect 2 Is Coming To The PS3

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
With all the added content thrown on top.

Mass Effect 2 is coming to PlayStation 3.

BioWare CEO Ray Muzyka made the announcement today at Gamescom in Germany during Electronic Arts' press conference. No other details about the game were revealed.

The PlayStation 3 version contains the full Mass Effect 2 game and "hours of bonus content," though it is unclear at this time what that bonus content is.

"Mass Effect 2 is another great property coming to PS3 that will
compliment our PS3 line-up," Sony said in a statement.

EA set a release date for January, 2011. A company representative told IGN the publisher has "no plans" to bring Mass Effect 1 to PS3.

Microsoft has issued a response saying Mass Effect 1 will remain an Xbox 360 exclusive.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1113393p1.html

Here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biyk6yhqcFY

I dont know if this is a good or a bad thing, as trends may be set. Future exclusive releases coming to the other console may surely have an effect on console purchases. ''Why get a 360 and play the game now when I can get a PS3 and play it later'' and vica-versa.

Splinter Cell Conviction is supposedly coming to the PS3 too.

Of course it's a bad thing. Can you name one reason why it would be a good thing (for consumers)?

Seriously awesome news for PS3 gamers. Still REALLY weird because of the lack of the first one. How do all the "choices" you made in that game effect the story in 2 now?? It will be interesting to see how this is handled. I would also be excited for this if I didn't already get both of them on-sale on Steam. :)

Some people are apparently up in arms that the unspecified DLC will be bundled with the PS3 version, because some people are special like that. Hopefully, they'll make a more flexible system for creating a character backstory than a fresh game on either existing version currently allows. Or I don't care. Yeah that.

good for ps3 players and sony despite the first game not being there
bad for MS cos it is RAPIDLY losing 3rd party exclusives; after splinter cell conviction goes to ps3 thats pretty much it (and it will go to ps3)

As for relation to the first? they might just chuck in that ME1 recap vid that was in the ME2 demo and then just let you start a new character from there ala playing ME2 without a ME1 save

I figure it will probably just have all the DLC that's been released since the original launch included because... how else do you sell a game that came out eight months ago and expect people to buy all the old DLC as well? That's probably the "bonus content."

At least the handful of people that own only PS3s as their gaming platform can play a good game.

I figure it will probably just have all the DLC that's been released since the original launch included because... how else do you sell a game that came out eight months ago and expect people to buy all the old DLC as well? That's probably the "bonus content."
To an extent yes, but there's no need to bundle everything in there. Kasumi will almost certainly be in there. Overlord? Maybe. Shadow Broker? Doubt it. The first two are very much billed as bonuses, whereas the Shadow Broker smells like a proper expansion (and still isn't out). On a basic level, I love Mass Effect 2, but the Shadow Broker pack is the only additional content I've any interest in getting.
As for relation to the first? they might just chuck in that ME1 recap vid that was in the ME2 demo and then just let you start a new character from there ala playing ME2 without a ME1 save
Something already announced
Also:
Mass Effect 2 featured a save game import on PC and X360, how will this work on PS3?
Specific details regarding the PS3 version will be made at a later date.
The above line already appears in the FAQ on the official site, so I think this stuff will be configurable in some way. I have a friend who played the Steam version of ME1 on a lame laptop and was half-waiting for this announcement since he's a giant Sony lame. Perhaps there'll be some kind of cross-platform import utility.

I feel bad for ps3bros if they get the shaft and have Wrex start out dead, the Rachni dead, Feros being f*cked, that c*nt Ashley still being alive, the Council being dead with Udina running the show.

Owners of PS3s get to play it?
Well, no kidding. How about everyone else?

It's not good for [video game] consumers because not all [video game] consumers have a PS3. Wouldn't it be preferable for [video game] consumers if exclusive content didn't exist (because you might not have every single game system)?

Yeah, so that answers the question - it's not a good thing - at all - even for PS3 owners. Because if the shoe was on the other foot (Mass Effect [1]), then suddenly it's a bad thing again.

good for them. its a great game and I'm happy to see more gamers out there will be able to play.

Tempting, I'd like to know if they fix some major bugs with this release.

Well, no kidding. How about everyone else?

It's not good for [video game] consumers because not all [video game] consumers have a PS3. Wouldn't it be preferable for [video game] consumers if exclusive content didn't exist (because you might not have every single game system)?

Yeah, so that answers the question - it's not a good thing - at all - even for PS3 owners. Because if the shoe was on the other foot (Mass Effect [1]), then suddenly it's a bad thing again.

Wait are you thinking this is ME3? Mass effect 2 has been out on PC and XBox360 for like eight months now ya know... I feel like you're thinking it's Mass Effect 3 and it's only coming to PS3. Most of the people who wanted to play this already played it. The handful of PS3 owners who have not a PC of Xbox may have just bit the bullet and said "man I hope it comes to PS3." Now it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if the newest DLC came default with this as a selling point. I mean it would be a great way to sell more copies of a game that's price has already dropped to $30 or less on other platforms...

At least the handful of people that own only PS3s as their gaming platform can play a good game.

Guarantee this will be like a GOTY edition, where all the DLC up to that point gets thrown in for roughly the same price as a new game.

Like Arkham Asylum being released with the PS3 exclusive Joker.

Or Fallout 3 with all its' DLC areas.

As it stands there's only 2 DLCs released so far for ME2 no? I finished ME2 and found it hard to think of going back and playing it again, and the new DLC seems kinda short or am I just doing the whole arse-talking thing again.

Guess this means that ME3 will only take into account everything from ME2 and disregared ME1 in every way.

Guarantee this will be like a GOTY edition, where all the DLC up to that point gets thrown in for roughly the same price as a new game.

Like Arkham Asylum being released with the PS3 exclusive Joker.

Or Fallout 3 with all its' DLC areas.

As it stands there's only 2 DLCs released so far for ME2 no? I finished ME2 and found it hard to think of going back and playing it again, and the new DLC seems kinda short or am I just doing the whole arse-talking thing again.
Nah son, there's Zaeed, Kasumi's Stolen Memory, Firewalker, Overlord, and Shadow Broker/Liara related DLC coming up. Quite a bit of new material to work with.

I dont know if this is a good or a bad thing, as trends may be set. Future exclusive releases coming to the other console may surely have an effect on console purchases.

Of course [exclusive games/content] is a bad thing.

Cross-platform games are a bad thing?
No.

I can't be sure what he was talking about, but I'm talking about exclusive games and exclusive content. It's no good for gamers.

I don't get what you're talking about Virus, it's not exclusive... becouse it's coming to the PS3. So what's the problem?

Virus, Mass Effect 2 is already for the 360 and PC. EA is simply expanding it further to another console, not making it exclusive.

BONUS CONTENT. Speaking of exclusive bonus content.

Speak on it, man.

Oh, if you buy (so and so) game for PS3 you get mother****ing extra levels and shit, bro. Is that okay with you, when you have a 360? No, it's dirty balls.

Ah got ya. I don't think it's anyting exclusive though.

Its not exclusive. The only people that will be pissed off about this move are the 360 owners. They've just lost a 360-exclusive title, and PS3 gains an extra title, so now the 360 owners have lost an insult to the PS3 owners when they claim they have better games. This just leaves them with Halo (dies with laughter while pointing), Forza and Gears of War. Basically we're laughing all the way to our PS3s.

Personally I couldnt care less. ME2 was great, let it come to the PS3, give Bioware some more monies so they can make more great games.

ME3 will still be released on 360 and PC, doubt we will see a PS3 release along with it at the same time.

Although if this PS3 release does well, which it should and probably will, maybe they can see a multi-platform release encompassing the PS3 as being not such a bad move.

I do agree with Virus that in general, console-exclusive DLC is ****ing annoying and ridiculous. And this timed-exclusive bullshit is even more retarded. Anything made by 3rd parties nowadays should just be assumed to be coming to each platform. This industry must really think the worst of us gamers.

Back