Massive 3d Wip!

tim8604

Reaction score
Okay, so I got bored with making wallpapers. ( if any of you noticed, I haven't put one out in a few weeks ) I decided to move onto bigger and better things, which are now... Recreating a scene of HL2 in pure 3D. Textured, Lighted, EVERYTHING. The reason I want to do this is so that anyone who wants to make a promotional item for HL2, whether it be a banner, or a background, will have an entire scene in which they can choose the exact camera angle to render an image from. I can't decide which scene to do. I want it to look almost exactly the same as the footage/screenshot from HL2 so I wont be doing any scenes with water :-/ as it would be tough to replicate the same style. So here is what I need from you guys:

-What scene do you want?
-A screenshot of this scene
-What "different" angle do you want it at, if any.

OR

-Links to prefabs that might come in handy
-Finished textures, or source images to make textures resembling those in HL2
-any special information

As of now, im thinking the jail type scene might be a good one... ?
ALSO if some of you more experienced guys could begin creating high rez textures that replicate those in the HL2 scenese, that would be great! Right now im working on the 'pole' texture from this scene:
HalfLife2_11.jpeg

ya i was just thinking the jail scene would be a good one

-merc

anyone know of a decent place to find grunge maps!?! ahhhh lol

Pole Completed

Hey, I just finished up the texture for the pole! :) The texture I made is 1024 x 768. Also, I forgot to turn off smoothing on the pole to make it look more HL2 ish. If you want to see a highrez of the texture, let me know... as im only including a low quality one for now! Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• pole.jpg
    pole.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 621
Wow, somebody should model that scene, well withought the characters of course.

Originally posted by nw909
Wow, somebody should model that scene, well withought the characters of course.

That's what im doing :)

btw, here is the pole without the LW7 smoothing, and at a higher res.

highpole.jpg

Now that I look at it again, I think it needs to be larger in diameter? And don't worry about the noticeable blockiness look of the pole, when put into the game the lighting will make this look better. I'm just too lazy to render with high radiosity :p

thats really cool tim, what are you using to do that?

-merc

Lightwave 7 and Adobe Photoshop 7. Like they say, 7 is a lucky number :).

Thingzorz to fixxor!:

1. That pole has too many rectangles
2. It needs to be bigger

:D

hmmmm, i just noticed how very basic that jail is. If u look at what its made up off then its so basic. Don't even look that good.

Yeah but it's still not a bad idea, it would be good to have it at a different angle.

If you finish this and it looks really good, i bet you could fool loads of people into thinking you have HL2 ;)

Cool. :)

Then we can take screenshots at different angles and say HL2 was leaked :)

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
Cool. :)

Then we can take screenshots at different angles and say HL2 was leaked :)

rofl, wouldn't that be great if we did that? at fooled a different HL2 site into posting 'leaked' hl2 screenshots. Haha, then halflife2.net could come back and be like.... uh no, we made those :)

This project is getting really big, I think I finish this faster if I recruited some help :). Mainly, I need people to help me make textures. If you are interested, let me know please! See, while I'm modeling, someone can be making the texture, then I can just slap it on. If you just want to help a little, and dont have much time, see if you can find a seemless high quality 'chain link fence' texture. This would be applied to the fence in the right side of the picture. Also, Anyone have any idea how the gates for the 'jail cells' attach to the walls?

One of the gates seen in the scene, as always comments and crits are welcome :).

gate.jpg

and yes, i know the wall is floating, just realized that.. but too lazy to re-render for now!

Starting to look great man.. your main problem is going to model the combine and the antlion i think

Originally posted by EVIL
Starting to look great man.. your main problem is going to model the combine and the antlion i think

For now, I'm not going to model them... I don't have enough time to make those. If someone else wants to make them, go right ahead! :) Someone please help me with textures or something at least! :(

Hey man, this is a cool little project you got going here. I cant wait to see the end result.

Originally posted by Cr@zY T3rr0r!$t
another screen shot for you
:cheese:
Also, notic the arched ceiling.

Hey thanks!. I'm actually rendering a new shot, including the walkway which will become the 'catwalk' that they are walking on. I still have to add the handrail though..

newroom.jpg

let me know how they look compared to eachother, the first one is mine.

hey tim, lookin good! maybe try to add a dirt map to the tile teaxture, it looks to new. other than that lookin good!!

Yeah.. add some loosen tiles and tiles with bulletholes etc. Let your imagination flow!

there should be 4 tiles from the edge of the catwalk to the edge of the wall, you have 5

Looks good so far. Maybe it's just me, but the tiles look more brown in the original.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
Looks good so far. Maybe it's just me, but the tiles look more brown in the original.

Its not just you ;)

Originally posted by Wraith
there should be 4 tiles from the edge of the catwalk to the edge of the wall, you have 5

hehe, changing it as we speak. That's why I need you guys, to pick up on the mundayne things I miss! Thanks.

On another note, I think the lighting might partly be the reason my tile doesn't look as 'dirty' because the lights in HL2 were more yellow tinted, which made the white look more dirty. At any rate though, im adding more dirt to the texture, and changing the light color. Anyone up for making a texture for the railing? Basically its just white paint ( I think ) with lots of it chipped off, and sorta rusted.

i dont know about texturing but i would be willing to do some unwrapping im too busy texturing guns.

this is sweeeeet keep making it! i dont know how to model only photoshop and even that not very well so i dont know if i can help you out too much... :( I wll help you spot things though!

-merc

The red line in your texture is too low compared with the one from the screenshot...

Sorry.. just thought i'd mention it!

Originally posted by mindless_moder
u have a bit of texture stretching there be careful bout that.

Ah, didn't catch that before... its fixed now! And i'm working on the red line now :)

nice so if u need unwrapping just pm me and email the file ill unwrap and if u want texture it.

Back