memory failier explanation

ben5015se

Reaction score
ok since alot of you dont understand why this is happening i will explain.

when you first run half-life2 it wants to make a sound cache (dont ask me why) so it may look like the screen is frozen, but its not, its loading all the sounds files from the .gfc file.

there may also be a problem becouse of what programs u have open. if u have a 512 ram (like me) and have several applications and if most of them equil out to about 512 then you should close some of the big ones such as (limewire, edonkey, and other fileshareing applications becouse they take more ram than anything else that is a regular application) so if you have to many apps open and try to run half-life2 it wonr workl becouse it doesnt have enough ram.

to get past the crashing about the memory failier go to the steam then go to play game then right click half-life2 or hl2 dm or cs:s then go to properties then go to launch options then past this in it:
+mat_forcehardwaresync 0 +snd_async_prefetch_priority 1

it may seem like the screen froze. it didnt so dont worry it took me about 12-15 minuts for it to start.

after that works then go to options and got to vidiop and make it windowd so if it crashes you can still get to your desktop.

after it works ... the +mat_forcehardwaresync 0 +snd_async_prefetch_priority 1 drops alot of fps so then go back to launch options and copy this in
+mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware 0

then it should work.

if it say missing files then post here saying what it is missing and ill get it for you.

also the stuff you cant see in taxk manager, such as some adware spyware and remote access (aka trojans)

those take away alot of ram and can be hidden infact making programs that dont show up on taskmanager is very easy. so run sumthing like spyware doctor or adaware or spybot search and destroy (i have a crack for spyware doctor pm me if u want it)

and people say reinstalling hl2 works, it doesnt becouse evne if you reinstall it whats going to be diffrent then the last time? thats right, nothing. so when people say that, they are a load of crap :-P just do what the first post says and it should work

You said if files are missing you will get them for whoever.

Well that is illegal, and that is why people would redownload the sound cache files, or anything else that is needed.

how it is illegal?

it wouldnt be, if i gave the whole game, giving missing files isnty illegal :sniper: . if giving missing files out is illegal, over 50 other sites would be under investigation, tard.

You might already know this but another way to free up memory is too make sure msconfig is clear of all the un-wanted crap in the startup tab...

for those that don't know msconfig...

click start>then run>type in msconfig>click ok>click on the sartup tab (usually top right-hand side) and untick all the crap.

You can use www.sysinfo.org as a reference to what the startup items are.

Remember to apply before closing msconfig ;)

This will stop useless utitlities that you never use starting up and will often stop spyware loading up as well which means less pop ups. Alot of viruses are notorious for getting in here as well.

Hope this helps :)

Usefull thread......when I do have the problem,hope not.

yay :-D, my hard drive is broken... so i wont post other fixing stuff. so yea...

Will save this link and paste it to anyone (understandable) whining about this problem. :) sall good

Does validate steam files do the same (or some of it) by any chance?

i guess the validate, gives you missing files.... i havnt tried it. (of course i cant now *starts to cry* i dont have a computer)

well since im on banned, i think ill update this a little.
and here is a tip READ THE FIXING ARTICLES that may help it just might.
if u dont understand this or have questions i.m. me
msn:[email protected]
aim:ben5015s3

if you people dont even look for an answer, why do you post? sounds pretty ignorint to me.

i am using fedoracore 3 linux yet again but this time withy cedega installed ^_^ and no problems at all .

Ever heard of the EDIT button? You've got like 10 post already on this thread and many of them are consecutive.

OmegaX said:
Ever heard of the EDIT button? You've got like 10 post already on this thread and many of them are consecutive.

no...no...never, never heard or seen of it.

and i couldnt edit thsoe it didint have the button, and i poist becouse it keeps teh topic up, then people will stop complaining about the crash problem, becouse it seems there alwas want the answer to come to them, but they dont realize there are posts like this to help so they just keep complaining

ignore that plz

anyway it says:

the instruction at "X" referenced memory at "X". the memory could not be read. click OK to terminate the program.

it does this every half hour or so.

gmod does that to em alot...but for some reason i dont ened this any more

YOU PEOPLE ARE NO HELP AT ALL!!
youw ant help and heer it is but no alwas gota complain and to lazy to look
well
it also would help if a mod would make this a sticky

Back