Minecraft Creator in Talks with Valve

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
It's no secret that Valve has succumbed to Minecraft addiction, a sandbox game from the creator of Left4KDead Markus 'Notch' Persson, who's flying to Bellevue tomorrow to have a meeting with Valve for an undisclosed purpose.[br]

Persson mentioned on his blog a while ago that while he would welcome an injection of venture capital, he intends to retain his independence over his game.

I would love to hire some people and set up a small development studio in Stockholm. This would include additional programmers, and someone in charge of the website and community features. And an artist that can make a nicer glass texture.[br]
I am not interested in changing the openness of how minecraft is developed, nor do I have any intention of selling the product to anyone else; I want to be the one developing it.[br]

My development speed has gone down lately because of all this crazy cool but scary stuff happening, but I promise you it will go up again soon, regardless of what happens.

For more info on Minecraft, click here.

Valve is like the talent agency for gaming.

it's huge for him, but i think there's some charm in the fact that he did it all by himself.

flying tomorrow to Bellevue tomorrow

Redundant 'tomorrow' in there. Sorry, but minor things like that annoy me.

-

Good news, I still haven't checked out Minecraft, but VALVe expanding is certainly good news.

EDIT:
Good news, I still haven't checked out Minecraft, but VALVe expanding is certainly good news.

WOW. Aren't I the bitch complaining about redundancy? I think I'm gonna *facepalm* myself on that one.

imagine what this guy could do with a full-fledged budget.

Redundant 'tomorrow' in there. Sorry, but minor things like that annoy me.

-

EDIT:

WOW. Aren't I the bitch complaining about redundancy? I think I'm gonna *facepalm* myself on that one.

lol'd

Anyways, I don't understand what Minecraft is. I played the demo or whatever and didn't get it.

Thank you, Sir.

Wow, that looks horrible.

GET OUT! NOAWWWWWW!

lol jk I had the same reaction. the game is like crack and its very easy to play, and time consuming and hilarious all rolled into one giant trip back to childhood lane

o_O for once I posted news before the site itself!

Maybe Minecraft on Steam? That sounds pretty cool.

Looks like an addicting little game. I'd play it on source >_>

Minecraft is the most interesting game I have tried in years.

Me and a few friend's have a survival multiplayer server that has been running persistently for a week or two now. It is fascinating to watch a single area change so dramatically over time, and see creations from day one, remain to this day, dwarfed by new and crazy stuff people keep building.

Just yesterday I decided to start building on a nearby island, and found one of my friend's had already been there and built a series of towers I had no knowledge of, it was a weird and unexpected discovery I can't liken to any other game.

It doesn't matter if you hate the visuals, the fundamental idea and mechanics of the game are really exciting. It would be awesome to see this guy get some help to push the idea forward.

The naïve idea of retaining the independence of one's company while accepting venture capital made me snort into my cup of coffee.

I've played Minecraft a while ago and I didn't come away with the impression of having played a game that has what I'd expect from one that's eventually going to be sold commercially. Despite having had a fun time exploring its quirky sandbox world with a few friends, its novelty wore off soon and it left me feeling burned out and aimless.

Now, I wasn't able to play the pre-order version, which supposedly has more block types and a few other gimmicks, but, overall, the free-to-play demo version didn't promise enough to convert me into a customer. I might give it another try when it's getting closer to a final release, at which point there's hopefully a demo that's representative of the full version with gameplay that sustains my interest for longer than a couple of days.

Unless Notch gets assimilated by the Borg and ends up in the credits of Portal 3.

The free to play version is miles behind the real thing. I played infdev for 15 minutes and wanted to die. It's boring. I bought the alpha and played for 7 hours straight. It's ****ing amazing.

You can't even compare the two.

Becanfield is right about this. I've never gone back to play the free version. Its a poor representation of what people love about the game. Look some videos up on Youtube called "Lets Play Minecraft" to get a taste of what its like.

Just bought minecraft after reading all of this and watching a cool youtube video of it... looks like fun! :bounce:

The free to play version is miles behind the real thing. I played infdev for 15 minutes and wanted to die. It's boring. I bought the alpha and played for 7 hours straight. It's ****ing amazing.

You can't even compare the two.

infdev is alpha

'creative' or 'demo survival' is the free-to-play version

I bet Notch is feeling pretty good right about now. Good for him, I'm glad he followed his passion and good things came of it.

I know this has been said several times in the Minecraft thread, but I feel there are a few more users passing by in this one... we need an HL2.net server.

I know this has been said several times in the Minecraft thread, but I feel there are a few more users passing by in this one... we need an HL2.net server.

Well, Hokey's offered to make one, and his computer is hella fast, but we'll just have to ask him.

Plus guys, there's a minecraft thread for discussion on the game.

jfaryxjpg.png

Got it last night like I said, played it for like 5 hours straight lol. Amazing game!

It looks like a pixelated mess to me.

back to MW2 with you.

This game isn't about graphics, its about innovation and gameplay. Can't stand people that just look at a (independent mind you) game and judge it by the graphics right off.

back to MW2 with you.

This game isn't about graphics, its about innovation and gameplay. Can't stand people that just look at a (independent mind you) game and judge it by the graphics right off.

OMG I CAN PUSH A CART DOWN A RAIL, WOOOOOOO!

The naïve idea of retaining the independence of one's company while accepting venture capital made me snort into my cup of coffee.

Same. Well, I wasn't drinking coffee. I just snorted. There's a rising movement of startups that won't accept VC for exactly this reason, if you accept a penny from someone else than you lose control.

if you accept a penny from someone else than you lose control.

It would have been funny seeing the faces at Remedy when Microsoft told them something like: "Alan Wake will be a Xbox exclusive. Drop the PC version and don't worry: we will come up with some kind of lame excuse."

OMG I CAN PUSH A CART DOWN A RAIL, WOOOOOOO!

Can you make that on your own? Didn't think so. This guy is doing the same sort of independent work that people like John Carmack or Cliffy B were doing before they hit it big. Can't you look at a project like this and see the potential behind the creator or the idea? Portal, one of the most innovative and amazing games of the 2000's started off as Narbacular Drop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narbacular_Drop) and some of the new game changing innovations that will be in Portal 2 come from Tag: the power of paint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag:_The_Power_of_Paint).

Back