MINERVA: Metastasis 2 released

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
The second episode of the brilliant, staggering, all-belief-beggaring, intelligent, non linear, none any shinier Half-Life 2 mod MINERVA is now available for download. [br]This installment drops the player right where the last left off, having just infiltrated a Combine bunker deep under a mysterious island. With only a cryptic, taunting voice in your head and a large bag full of munitions, it's your job to penetrate deep into the island to uncover the reason for the Combine's presence and the secrets they are hiding there. One of the most well-crafted and renowned single-player mods out there, MINERVA combines mind-bending science with heart-rending violence and this episode will provoke more speculation over its mysterious plotline than a Lost/Half-Life 2 crossover in Yugoslavian, with no subtitles. [br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
http://www.halflife2.net/news//tn_1141418042_filegoatmatic.php.jpeg >[/url][/center][br]
Visit the site and read some confusing/illuminating exposition: [url=http://www.hylobatidae.org/minerva/phosphenes.shtml]here.[/url]
Download directly [url=http://www.hylobatidae.org/minerva/filegoatmatic.php?filename=metastasis-2.exe]here.[/url]
Download the torrent file [url=http://www.parm.net/torrents/metastasis-2.exe.torrent]here.[/url]
And yes, the installer comes with both parts One and Two.

Bah either I'm blind, or that is one fast news-post-edit.

.bog.

[edit]
I'm not blind.
[/edit]

Whatever do you mean? :>

ALL READERS PLEASE NOTE NEWS POST CONTAINS NO HYPE ONLY COLD HARD FACTS
IT REALLY IS THAT GOOD IF THE LAST EPISODE WAS ANYTHING TO GO BY

Already completed it *cries*

It's twice as good as episode one. Three times as good. I played through both in a row and I can't believe there is over an hour of gameplay on only two such amazingly designed maps. (Just to clear that up: There are two loading screens! 1 for the opening, and one at the transition between the two. :cheese: )

*whispers* This game has better level design than HL2. *whispers*

This episode reveals far much more than the previous one and the plot is thickening ever more. It also reveals a potentially terrifying plot twist which I shan't endeavour to discuss until more people have played it. But hurry up, I can't hold it in much longer.

Reginald said:
Already completed it *cries*

It's twice as good as episode one. Three times as good. I played through both in a row and I can't believe there is over an hour of gameplay on only two such amazingly designed maps. (Just to clear that up: There are two loading screens! 1 for the opening, and one at the transition between the two. :cheese: )

*whispers* This game has better level design than HL2. *whispers*

This episode reveals far much more than the previous one and the plot is thickening ever more. It also reveals a potentially terrifying plot twist which I shan't endeavour to discuss until more people have played it. But hurry up, I can't hold it in much longer.

I agree that it is pretty impressive how so much action fits on just 2 load screens.

.bog.

Adam/Cargo Cult you are a god
The gameplay was spot on - the intensity of it was just awesome, running around with 10 health begging for a health pack, a respite, safety was just such an immersive experience
The combat was brilliant with the combine brutally punishing and so smart
The level design was as Reg pointed out better than Halflife 2 - it was so damn pretty I just wanted to walk around for an hour
And to have one and a half hours of satisfying gameplay on just 2 maps with just one load point between them is just mind boggling

The biggest compliment I can pay Adam is nearly 10 minutes after finishing bothe maps i am still shaking from the intensity, fear and adrenaline rush - I can count the number of games that have done that to me on one maimed bear claw. Truly awesome
qnwsac.jpg

qnws9z.jpg

Spoiler********************************

Do we get to fight the headcrab stalkers?

Looks Awesome!

:cheers: I loved the first episode - the level design is SO good! I am really looking forward to playing the next installment - should be wicked fun - w00t!

john3571000 said:
Spoiler:

Do we get to fight the headcrab stalkers?

Spoiler:

I am of split minds about this.

From a personal point of view, I am absolutely terrified of Stalkers as it is. How's it going to be fighting them in zombie form? *shivers*

Also, unless he gets them exactly right, the enemies are either going to be overpowered or silly looking.

But still, it would be fantastic. It would certainly make the game more interesting and appealing to doubters.

Spoiler END.

Hurry up more people and play it so that we don't need these silly spoiler gaps.

Woot! More Minerva!
Downloading now. From the looks of the screenies this is going to be great.

I'm off to go replay the first one and then this one. I'll report back once completed.

*end transmission*

Download the new installer first, it's got an updated version of Metastasis 1.

I'm probably too late though...

ugh... generic combine structures and hallways.
man, what a waste of time this was.

TwwIX said:

*shoots*

*ENDS TRANSMISSION*

Cargo Cult, do you think in the next release you could have it.. not delete my old saves and just transfer them over? Other then that OMG IT PWNS!!!!!!

Does this come with the first Minverva episode? And if not, can someone tell me where to download the first one? There isn't a download anywhere on the site.

diluted said:
Does this come with the first Minverva episode? And if not, can someone tell me where to download the first one? There isn't a download anywhere on the site.

It's titled First Transmission on the website.

EDIT: No it's not... :S Not sure, sorry.

just finished playing it through once...

BRAVO!

top quality stuff, much better than the first.

diluted said:
Yes, it does contain the first episode. (Could someone add this to the news item, please? It's a rather common question already...)

You can play right the way through, in a completely seamless manner. Or just start at the second - it's done with HL2's chapters system, with both unlocked from the beginning.

Oh, and thanks once again for the response - it's a bit overwhelming!

As for the secrets, time to get speculating. Why would the Combine need that level of power storage in an underground base riddled with railway lines, and why so far from the mainland? Why do the lights keep dimming? And why is Minerva so intensely curious about this island?

Brainstorm away!

Ok, I just played the first one and I started the second but I think I have a bit of a problem. Im hearing the incoming transmission sound but not getting any of the cool text. It was working fine for part one but now it seems like something is wrong. Anyone else getting this?

I have just played through it, and I must say it was the best singleplayer mod I've ever seen. Better than Half Life 2? Well, the level designs were MUCH better. I nearly cried when it was over :(.

End Transmission.

Cargo Cult said:
Oh, and thanks once again for the response - it's a bit overwhelming!

As for the secrets, time to get speculating. Why would the Combine need that level of power storage in an underground base riddled with railway lines, and why so far from the mainland? Why do the lights keep dimming? And why is Minerva so intensely curious about this island?

Brainstorm away!

maybe this gets to the whole reason why the combine invaded earth in the first place; they are tunneling down to cultivate the very power of the earth as an energy resource.

Pretty good map, seemed to have a bit better level design and flow than the previous (in the combine bits anyway) although at times I missed the text because I was doing something. Anyway the combine still seem to run towards a point and shoot at you while running, looks quite weird. Can you get them to stop when they see you or something? One of the guys kept running and I had to chase him down :p

Anyway good job.

TwwIX said:

By definition, combine structures aren't generic.

IMO, this map sets the bar for all maps now. I simply loved every minute of it.

Awesome game. I personally like the Combine levels in Half-Life 2. This was just fantastic!

I hope all that energy the combine are collecting isn't being used for cooking a microwavable burrito.

Nice! I can't tell which is better the first or second. But Valve should hire you for the expansion packs lol! **SPOILER**

The way you try to shut down the stalker headcrab zombie factory but you find its a small section. And I love how the new zombies look! And I like how you put a body and headcrab at the end to foreshadow part 3.

**END SPOILER**
Btw here are some pics I took with max settings:
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9677/metastasis200004zg.jpg

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4417/metastasis200016ju.jpg
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8814/metastasis200029pt.jpg

The level design is so perfect in that you balanced out the action and puzzles. I really like how you can use that beam to smash the door in. With the quality of this content you could could be charging people for each level lol! VERY GOOD! :thumbs: *Oh and I loved how you put in the great HL2 soundtrack at the right moment when your going into battle!

Memorable gaming experience with the Episode 2. It has gotten me surprised, I didn't expect a mod would be better than a game, it is just astonishing. Very fun and suspensefull action. Congratz to teh creatorz.

Very, very nice. Seriously flawless level design on par, or even better, with Valve’s maps.

I liked the part near the end where you hear this loud bang sound and the lights start to fade out a second or two. Great work.

Oh, and the Combine soldiers really gives you a tough time now compared to Half-Life 2. I played through on Normal difficulty level and got pinned down a few times.

And YES, I would like to know what's behind that door! ;)

metastasis2.jpg

BOO!

Going to show this to my bro tomorrow, he’ll probably like this as much as I did.

Just... uhh... amazing. The level design rocks; this is the best map I have ever seen. Eye candy, storyline and adrenaline all in place, and it fits very nicely. Good job on the best SP mod on Half-Life 2.

However, I found the difficulty jump from the first chapter to the next was rather large, and I'm playing on Hard. Also rather confusing; I died a couple of times.

But aww, man... Manhacks... ;( I sure hate em.

EDIT: I can't complete it on hard. ;( I need a walkthrough.

The stalker model and headcrab model looks funny together, but I suppose it works for the story. Excellent level design, I really like how the whole level is contained in one load.

Pretty as well.

These maps are so damn good.

Valve should just get it over with and hire this guy.

Back