Missing Channels with 5.1 Surround

H

HostileTarget

After reading several reviews which gave Kudo's to the amazing sound quality, I decided to take up their recommendations to try the game in 5.1 surround sound.

After moving my 5.1 system over to my gaming machine (don't ask why I didn't do it before) I found that I wasn't able to pickup sounds from the rear channel. All the sounds from the rear channels are direct clones of the sounds from the front left/right speakers.

Here's my system setup

A7N8X-Deluxe
Athlon XP 2600+ ~2.1 GHz
1024 MB DDR
Direct X 9.0c (4.090000.0904)
NVidia NForce Audio (6.14.0442.0030)
GeForce 6800 GT 256MB

I've tried a couple nForce drivers (5.10, 4.27) as well as the chipset driver for the Realtek ALC650. For both, I can get the default bundled test applications for the drivers to seperate all channels, but when I get into HL2 (or CS Source with the Audio test map) I get cloned rear channels or in the case of the Realtek, only Center and Sub?!

I've of course tried tweaking various configs in the control panels and in game.

Finally, I installed 3DMark03 and ran the sound test (running the nForce 5.10 unified drivers) and found that the rear channel works fine, just not under source.

Is anyone else having similar issues? Note, this is not the stutter glitch everyone's talking about, I have that too but much less severe.

I've already stolen my wife's speaker, I guess my next step is to steal her Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card too.. Until then, it's 3.1 for me..

y we all are, buggy, works occasionally, then channels swtich over. Needs a patch soon.

OMG, I'd never thought I'd say this but the urinal cake made my day.

Unfortunately, the control panel for the 3.63 isn't as nice as the nForce one, but hopefully, an HL2 patch will straighten out the rear channel support.

Back