Mod idea - HALF-LIFE 2 with HALF-LIFE 1 graphics

Reaction score
I honestly don't have the skills but I want to put my idea out there for what I consider would me a heaps good mod for Half-Life 2.

I heard about the recent free mod that was being made where what they're doing is they're taking HALF-LIFE 1 and upgrading it with HALF-LIFE 2 graphics. Not just the simple conversion valve did of Half-life 1 with the same graphics into the source engine.

My idea is the opposite of that. Why not convert HALF-LIFE 2 into having HALF-LIFE 1 kind of graphics. Where you would have literally the Half-life 1 models, of the scientist and other characters in Half-life 2. Of course what you would then have to do for the new characters is you would have the make models simmilar to the style in Half-life 1.

Considering this, it couldn't be as difficult as making HALF-LIFE 1 into have HALF-LIFE 2 graphics. Anyway I thought I should put that idea out there so there's both converstions.

Of course all the guns that could be considered Half-life 1 guns would be directly replaced with the HALF-LIFE 1 models and sounds.

And other sounds where they can be replaced with HALF-LIFE 1 sounds should be done too.

It's just I need that classic dose again. I don't want us to forget those kinds of graphics.

Black Mesa: Source?

Yeah it's never going to happen.

Although, this is an interesting idea, but some of the older stuff wouldn't really be suited to HL2. Combine would just look boring being all blocky.

I don't see the point really, but if you got spare time and you don't know what else to do, go for it.

This is one of those ideas where what's meant to happen is you think it's a kinda interesting idea inside your head but then realise it's too pointless to actually go as far as sharing with other people.

Sounds very interesting, however with b mesa source coming out I don't think anyone would put forth the effort and it would more than likely be half-assed

Your idea while sounds fun. The team would need to be in it for the long haul and if it was a solid team like say from the guildhall they would be able to do this in 6 to 8 months. Any other mod team that is scattered all over the world with real life issues this would take to long to make.

It would be weird Seeing Half Life 2 with Half Life 1 Graphics

it was done before

How would you make a HL2 clone without a decent physics engine? Write one yourself?

How would you make a HL2 clone without a decent physics engine? Write one yourself?

I think he means downgrading the graphics. So it's a HL2 mod still using Source but looking like Half-Life, so Source will continue doing physics and AI.etc

I know every time I play battlefield 2 I think to myself, "Wow... if only they could revert back to battlefield 1942 graphics! This game would be perfect then!"

Jesus christ how did everyone not read the thread title correctly. BM:S is hl1 with hl2 graphics. He's saying hl2 with hl1 graphics. In other words, if hl2 were made in 1998.

I for one love well pulled off low poly shit, I think this would be quite neat to play through at least a few times if it was well made. However, it's quite a lot of work just for an experience. Not much replay value.

Actually, there was a mod with this idea, partly.

It was one of those mods, for Half-Life 1, where you have multiple different mappers doing different "rooms" different maps and they are then glued together. One of the "rooms" was map or maps where you went to the Combine -era. You could see the citadel on the background and you had grunts with GoldSrc versions of the combine soldier models on them. It was pretty cool.

that was reissue - it was one of the levels i didn't like in mod

I like this idea very much, I've had it myself sometimes, but I dont know shit about game making.

the mod you mentioned is black mesa source, I have an account on the their forums, and am very exited about this one.

Did you even read his post?

I see how this could be very interesting and fun to play. I know I'd play it. It would certainly be strange to see it with such old graphics. It would be cool to see all your favorite environments in a different graphical style.

I personally, like the idea.

Actually, there was a mod with this idea, partly.

It was one of those mods, for Half-Life 1, where you have multiple different mappers doing different "rooms" different maps and they are then glued together. One of the "rooms" was map or maps where you went to the Combine -era. You could see the citadel on the background and you had grunts with GoldSrc versions of the combine soldier models on them. It was pretty cool.

Can we get a name or link?

Why would anyone want to see this again?

half-life-2-the-orange-box-53990.449434.jpg

I dont get people sometimes.

I know I'd play it once.

If you're serious about it, I'd suggest converting a small part of the game -- a 10-30 minute section perhaps, releasing it, and seeing if the interest is there for more. If you're lucky, it may even find its way into the hands of talented folks wanting to help demake the whole game.

I don't think it would get lots of downloads since the new black mesa mod just came out.

I don't think it would get lots of downloads since the new black mesa mod just came out.

I don't think you can read very well because Black Mesa Source is the complete opposite of the idea in this thread. And also it did not come out. Like BlueWolf so expertly informed you.

No.I mean that if you made it and put it on a download site,it would'nt get that much downloads because that the Black Mesa MOD Has just came out.

Get it?

Back