model maps in 3d studio max

H

HL2-M34

Hello All,

Today i got the urge to create some content for Half Life 2 and was wondering if i could use 3D Studio Max 7-8 to create maps (or objects to be used as such) to be exported as a brush and imported into Hammer. Or create maps fully textured (with the use of VTF plugin) and import them into Hammer. So far i have only come across how to create custom brushes with XSI but i have seen some post that seam like ppl are hinting at doing the same type of actions that i'm looking at doing, a direct MAX ---> Hammer import and leave XSI out of the picture. While i have XSI installed i would really rather use 3D Studio Max.

As for 3DSMAX i have only seen plugins that allow the import/export of SMD files.

You may ask "Why don’t you just use the Hammer editor?" Well the answer is; I find the Hammer editor clumsy and i have no idea how to create complex objects in side it. I am attempting to learn it. I'm really good at creating boxes that connect to each other, but i don’t really know how to create anything that has more than 4 sides. To me 3DSMAX is much easier to work in.

If this tipic has been discussed before i am sorry my search didn’t come up with any thing directly related to this subject. If there is one please post a link.

Thanks

as for making vis blocking bsp major geometry (say a skyscraper/building/cliff/etc... I'd say go with hammer... but if you want to make complex props, then go ahead and model them in max... that's what the prop entities are there for

why not use hammer in the first place. anyway hammer imports a certain type of file i forget what its called so all u need to do is convert your model to that format. youll also need a hench collision model.

Back