Modeling: Is it easy?

craze3

Reaction score
I make maps and I was wondering if making models is similiar. Becuase you need to model stuff in a 3D environment for both and mapping is easy...so is modeling easy too? Im a total n00b and no nothing. If it is easy what is a free program I could use to make models?

Its as different as it is the same. XSI has a free Half-Life 2 version. 163mb, so if you don't have broadband, it could take a while. They have tutorals, which you'll need, because it is nothing like Worldcraft/Hammer. (I presume that's what you use for your maps.) Otherwise there's Milkshape which is free for 30-days and then its like only $30 to register (which is the cheapest you're going to find, outside of that XSI program). Milkshape is very very basic, but on the other hand- it's easy to use. Hope that helps.

I was also thinking of picking up modeling, I think it would really help out later on. I could always help out with a mod, or just simply make hacks or even new models for weapons/items/players... I dunno, seems cool :)

I would say modeling is definately alot more complicated and difficult than hammer. I was modeling before I ever used hammer though, so I guess it is kind of hard to compare.

there is also gmax from discreet, completely free, but softimage is probally the best.

Modeling is very easy, that is of course after you get used to it and become more experienced.

Sir Phoenixx said:
Modeling is very easy, that is of course after you get used to it and become more experienced.

same can be said abount anything

modeling is indeed more complex, and i suggest if u ever plan to be a successful mapper in teh future, you learn it. Same with texturing. Most ut2k3-2k4 mappers can create their own models for the game, since static meshes are a big part of mapping now, and it will only get more advance. Less bsp and more models = better

the process of modeling is much more comlex then mapping. You have a lot more things to worry about. first, every subobject (vert, edge, poly) can have a lot of modifiers applied to it, so u do that til uget a model. Then u have to worry about textures, which is nothing like in hammer, in fact, uv mapping is probably the hardest concept to master and use efficiently. Then you gotta paint your own texture for it too to conform to the uv maps. But yea, once u get all the theory and how things work together, modeling become pretty easy, then the whole talent things comes in. You may know how to model, but you wont necessarily produce good models.

You just need patiance, talent helps, but isnt as necesaary as for example drawing, just a lot of patience and insight, like beeing bale to predict things, so you don't focus on something different when modeling then u should and that you know where to start and where to end, for the rest if you got patience and are dilligent then it will be easy and quit fun to learn, best to start with maya and use maya mentor to learn( just go to "advice for me and my son" thread to see more about that), then the other programs will be easier to do.

craze3 please stop posting the same thing over and over again,

i have seen at least 3 threads started regarding the same issue.

i mean do you expect to get different answers each time???

Easy? depends on a person

Now grap a copy of XSi EXP or whatever else you can find lying around and start developing the grasp for 3D. Once you know the tool, imagination is your limit.

Later,
Rad

Think of the hardest form of art you have ever tried. Now multiply that by 5 and you have just gotten into the world of CG. It is one of the hardest forms of art, yes I just called computer animation an art, to master. It is completely untraditional in that you do things with a mouse and keyboard, not a painbtrush, a pencil, or even a welder. Modeling is one of the 'easier' aspects of CG, compared to animation, dynamics, and particles physics. I have been modeling for just over two years, and my work is no where near professional level.

If you really want to get into CG, I ask you this question. Why? Why do you feel that you want to become a 3d artist. You may already have answered that question, as you said you wanted to create models for your maps, but what do you really want to achieve? You have to be very passionate about your work, unless you want it to be bland, dull, lifeless, lacklaster, boring. I may be going a little overboard, but I just want you to get the sense that this is no overnight task. By the time your models are decent enough to put into your maps, will you even want to continue?

Maya is an excellent tool to learn 3d on.

3dsmax/gmax is also very friendly to newcomers and very powerful.

Softimage | XSI... learning softimage is like tryign to climb a cliff without a harness. Feel free to give it a go, but I recommend getting comfortable with the basics in Max/Gmax or Maya PLE.

Of course there are other programs like Lightwave, Modo, Zbrush... but I'm not sure if they have simplified versions like Maya, XSI and Max have... probably just trials.

We who have learned modeling all learned on different packages through different processes and all have different views on this. Personally I can do 3D work much more proficiently than standard drawing. It requires a certain turn of mind and a different skillset than other art forms. I'd say modeling is far far easier than working with Hammer, there are no silly rules, though lots more room to make mistakes. I like XSI, I learned on SI|3D, the important thing to do is to pick a package and learn it, then learning another package is like learning a new car, sure the lights and wipers might be somewhere else but it's all there (unless you are trying to use Maya without extras).

Scotchy said:
Softimage | XSI... learning softimage is like tryign to climb a cliff without a harness. Feel free to give it a go, but I recommend getting comfortable with the basics in Max/Gmax or Maya PLE.

Thats a pretty biased opinion, especially considering XSI is childsplay to learn ;)

To be fair I'd liken learning maya to trying to figure out how to drive using chopsticks, and max as trying to ride a bicycle while it's being built, or maybe it's the other way around. I could say learning XSI is like trying to divine the future using tea leaves, sure it's stupid but it's just as valid as any other method.

Back