IceIYIaN

Reaction score
Download:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/elements-of-war/downloads/elements-of-war-v10
http://www.filefront.com/14476177/Elements-of-War-v10.zip/

Elements of War
EoW v10
By Curtis Turner <IceIYIaN>
Special Thanks: Valve Software, id Software, Microsoft.

Requires one of the following:
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: DeathMatch

*** Turn this into a SDK Base/SDK Base: Orange BoX/HL2/HL2mp/HL2ep1/HL2ep2/Portal/or DMMaM mod by changing GameInfo.txt

Features:
Read the Elements of War BooK
Learn to build your first map
Learn to build your first mod

All Elements of War map source files(Not UT2004)
Open source, do whatever you want with them! If you want to credit me, "Curtis Turner <IceIYIaN>"

Half-Life 2
New Save File.

Half-Life 2: DeathMatch
Melee combat only, Crowbar vs Stunstick

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
New Save File.

ALSO INCLUDES:
1337 Board v5(Upated + EoW Version)
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927560

Since this is version 10(Was 1.0), I thought I'd add some commentary.

What I'm trying to do is make it so you can copy/paste the mod into just bout any game/mod based on the engine/s. Some issues will arise, but so far so good.

Using these folders made sense and I'll continue to do so:
ElementsofWar/Sound/ElementsofWar/
ElementsofWar/Materials/ElementsofWar/
Etc

Before I was using xElementsofWar folder for the SDK/Developer. Causing confusion I changed that to xDeveloper.

This worked out really great cause I started to use xElementsofWar as a game/mod folder. I also got "SearchPaths" to work(In GameInfo.txt) So, ElementsofWar/xElementsofWar/CSS, anything in the CSS folder would only work in CSS, such as maps. I could then use this thing for switching between realistic and cartoon textures, models. Making a player male/female in single player. Whatever really.

As for the save files, that was a simple solution to the horribad devs/publishers of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Such an amazing single player game based on the Source engine and we cannot make maps for it? Blasphemy! At least with console commands and save files we can now create new single player missions. This is also interesting as we could simply not include enemies in maps and let the users do it.

What's funny is the mod started out as Revenge of the BunnieZ. I simply wanted a bunny model in Counter-Strike(They released 1.4 -_-). I've yet to create a model... I planned to have at least one model in the game by v1.0(I later dropped the dot cause it causes problems on the InterwebZ).

I had been making maps for the HL engine(CS) and started to make a mod. I heard UT2003 was gonna have movies showing you how to make games/mods(3D BuZZ). I quickly switched over to check it out. I was(still am) into E-Sports. RotB turned into Elements of War(NoX stood out, if you've ever played that). Making a good red vs blue themed game. However, my computer couldn't handle UT2003. E-Sports took a backseat and I deicided to go for a Zelda/NoX/Diablo 'ish camera view rather than first person.

The camera view would be easier on my system. While I've always enjoyed Zelda/Diablo, I wanted a different kind of control. Made possible with a 3D engine. The idea was for it to be more like a FPS/TPS, where when you turn the camera turns with you. Making the TooN at 3/4 of the way down rather than 1/2 also helped. The camera system turned out amazing and I was very excited for it.

Now, while making my UT2003 mod I was still making my HL mod. I wondered if I could get the same camera in HL. I was checking out the HL SDK and I had found an article, I believe the model making one. It gave a few console commands for changing your view. Sure enough the few simple commands could create a really dumbed down version of my UT2003 camera.

I decided I would come back to that later. What's funny is that tutorial has kept third person the same way until the Orange BoX came around. If you've ever typed ThirdPerson into your console, you'll notice it goes to the side to show you the player's weapon, LoL...

Years later I finally did come back to the console commands. While I always had powerful hotkeys(My World of WarCraft hotkey set is beyond powerful, legendary!), I didn't really know anything when it came to making configs. Believe it or not, I was making a config.cfg for -every- console command. LMAO. After a poopie load of work I realised that was complete crap. I did learn a bit while doing that, however.

Soon after 1337 Board had formed. I always enjoyed making hotkeys, when changable. My first PC game really put this into my head, Age of Empires II(Well, second, AoE:RoR :p, but I only had it for a month or two before Age II). It wasn't until NoX that ASDF, aka touch typing, was revealed to me. So powerful that every keyboard on the market looks the same.

Now Elements of War: 1337 Board is one of the most complete config and camera systems of today. Allowing players to play in more ways than they ever dreamed :)

Anyways, I'm glad how far Elements of War has come. Relase early and keep releasing, it works. Adding your source helps in case of a crash too ;)

I am so ****ing confused.

boggle.jpg

???:bounce::bounce:

IceIYIaN explain what the hell this is, im rather confused.....its mod that can be used with several game engines?

It starts out as a Half-Life 2 mod. Go to your SourceMods folder, then ElementsofWar and go to GameInfo. Just delete GameInfo and change the name of GameInfoHL2, GameInfoHL2mp, Base(SDK Base or Orange BoX), DMMaM, Portal, ep2, ep1... To GameInfo. Now Elements of War is no longer a HL2 mod, but whatever game you have or want.

Now, if you delete GameInfo, you can pretty much copy/paste this mod into any Source game or mod. This has some pretty good features. Explore the folder and check it out.

If you're a modder/mapper yourself, check it out. You'll enjoy the folder. Plus you get ever map source file, which is like 20+ So, you can edit the levels and even include them in your game/mod.

Back