More Mac Gaming Prophesised, Linux Too.

Dekstar

Companion Cube
Reaction score
1281008506_TF2Mac.png
[br]​
In a recent Gamesindustry.biz interview with Valve (registration only, unfortunately,?quotes via RPS), there was much talk of a lot of developers looking to spread their market-share to the Mac in the next couple of years.[br]Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development/Legal Affairs, says "Nobody?s fighting it, but everybody?s wondering what they do over the next year or two with their titles." The reasons for the seemingly long amount of time we'll see more games coming out with cross-OS versions seems fair, given how long it takes "to play a title and to fund a title, so they?re thinking about it and they?re incorporating this new data and this new way of thinking into these plans they?re making for a year or two."[br]Doug Lombardi also talks about the process for developers, saying, "People are looking at their titles for this holiday and saying ?a Mac version would screw with my schedule, or I?d have to ship it late. Neither of those is super-desirable. But the titles that I have in Spring of 2011 or in Holiday of 2011, let?s have a discussion and let?s see those numbers and start to figure it out."[br]So the future looks bright, but it's still a while off before Mac users will be treated on an equal-basis to Windows users.[br]In addition, Doug made some comments to our very own Chris 'Evo' Evans on The Reticule on the subject of Mac gaming. He said that:[br]"Steam for the Mac is the biggest news for Steam since the platform was launched in March 2004.? and that "?As an industry we are going through a transition of entertainment as a product to entertainment as a service. This places a bunch of requirements on the platforms ? specifically being an open, high-quality Internet client. The Mac is a very attractive platform for entertainment as a service.?[br]Look out for more when the second part of the GI.biz interview goes live.

GIMME EPISODE 3 GODDAMMNITT!! **** ALL THIS SHIT ABOUT MAC GAMING!!! WE WANT EP3!!!

someone please sedate me :(

GIMME EPISODE 3 GODDAMMNITT!! **** ALL THIS SHIT ABOUT MAC GAMING!!! WE WANT EP3!!!

someone please sedate me :(
I think Ep3(or next HL game) will be a realy surprise(Like pearl harbor :bounce:)
I can wait, just do a good game ;)

Reading that article (gamesindustry) it seems that Valve shares all of the data gathered from Steam to other publishers and modifies their sale platforms to aid in the gathering of different types of information.

Reading that article (gamesindustry) it seems that Valve shares all of the data gathered from Steam to other publishers and modifies their sale platforms to aid in the gathering of different types of information.
You can see the sort of graphs they give to publishers here
http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/publishingservices.php
It's under "Real-time sales data"

It's strange reading that page because the uses of Steam they advertise seem so un-Valve like.

Edit: Something else of interest from Valve's website:
http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/SenProgrammer.html
"Must have two years experience with the responsibilities of the position with C++, Windows and Linux platforms, using networking technologies in large scale systems or gaming platforms, including experience taking a computer software product or a video game from conception and development through publication and product shipment."

Reading that, it really is remarkable how many problems Steam has solved for the games market.

Edit: Something else of interest from Valve's website:
http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/SenProgrammer.html
"Must have two years experience with the responsibilities of the position with C++, Windows and Linux platforms, using networking technologies in large scale systems or gaming platforms, including experience taking a computer software product or a video game from conception and development through publication and product shipment."
Well, they've done linux server releases for ever, though I believe only one guy at Valve does the linux porting.

Well, they've done linux server releases for ever, though I believe only one guy at Valve does the linux porting.
Oh yes. I hadn't thought of linux servers. Probably just to do with that then.

Back