Most favorite musical decade?

Reaction score
Since I just saw the thread on 90s rock, I was inspired to make this. I'm also mostly looking into a bunch of new bands from the 50s to now on satelite radio. Make a list from your most favorite decade to your least favorite decade.

1 90s
2 80s
3 50s
4 70s
5 60s
6 2000-now

Show your love!

1) 80's (a lot of great Metal bands)
2) 70's (a lot of great Hard Rock/Early Metal bands)
3) 60's (a lot of great blues rock/hard rock/early progressive metal bands)
4) 90's (a lot of great Neo-Progressive metal bands)
5) 00's (**** all)

couldn't possibly choose between 50's 60's 70's 80's and 90's, but i know i love alot of modern music so i'll go for 2000's.

90's- loved pretty much everything from those ten years.
60's- ska, reggae, the beatles, etc.
80's- ska revival, and some metal was pretty good.
70's- also had some good rock and roll left over from the sixties, and some of the good music from the eighties was starting up (what ltitle there was)
00's- utter, utter crap- have heard nothing good from anything popular nowadays. Makes me sad.

I do'nt know much about music from anytime before the sixties, really- swing music is ok though, but I don't remember when that was big. Contemporary and big-band suck, though :/

70's- Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Led Zep, The talking heads, Some elton jon etc
90's Radiohead, Weezer, Nirvana, My Bloody Valentine, The Flaming Lips, beck(mellow gold), neutral Milk hotel, REM etc
00's- Radiohead, Band of horses, Modest Mouse, Sufjan Stevens, The arcade fire, the shins, the faunts, Architecture in helsinki, sigur ros etc( i can't believe everyones so down on modern music, these bands+ more kick ass)
60's-the beatles, velvet underground, the doors the stones, pretty much the status quo
80's only albums i really listen to from this decade are Sister/Daydream Nation by the Sonic youth( both are amazing, especially DDNation) and On fire by galaxie 500

So much good music being made right now, so very much, exciting time to be around.

1. 2000 - Now
2. 60s - Hendrix et all
3. 50s Postwar and the beginnings of rock nroll
4. 70s - Rock & Roll
5. 80s THE SMITHS
6. 90s. GASH GASH GASH

Whenever At the Drive-In were born. 90's or something. Don't really take much notice of when the band were formed, don't really care either.

The thing about music is that there's always good stuff coming out if you know where to look, and if you have a varied taste, you can't always say one decade was better than the other. I mean, even though the 2000's have been shit overall so far, there's been some amazing stuff coming out outside of the mainstream... the same goes for the 90's, 80's, and just about every other decade.

That may be true but there aren't any defining artists these days, there are no groundbreaking movements or totally original bands for that matter. Most music these days is just a rehash of all the other previous generations - even remixes and covers of old songs seem to be everywhere.

RHCP's just released a weak, recycled album they showed nothing new - in the late 80's and early 90's they were a real innovative band. I don't have much time but there are plenty more examples like that.

Name at least a new movement or an album or band that has come out after in the last year or two that you could easily say..."man, they're going to be still playing this in 50 years time". Panic! At The Disco? Modest Mouse? Justin Timberlake? John Mayer? Evanescence? Fergie? :LOL:

I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

That may be true but there aren't any defining artists these days, there are no groundbreaking movements or totally original bands for that matter. Most music these days is just a rehash of all the other previous generations - even remixes and covers of old songs seem to be everywhere.

RHCP's just released a weak, recycled album they showed nothing new - in the late 80's and early 90's they were a real innovative band. I don't have much time but there are plenty more examples like that.

Name at least a new movement or an album or band that has come out after in the last year or two that you could easily say..."man, they're going to be still playing this in 50 years time". Panic! At The Disco? Modest Mouse? Justin Timberlake? John Mayer? Evanescence? Fergie? :LOL:

I think the UK gets the best mainstream music, instead of America...

90's- loved pretty much everything from those ten years.
60's- ska, reggae, the beatles, etc.
80's- ska revival, and some metal was pretty good.
70's- also had some good rock and roll left over from the sixties, and some of the good music from the eighties was starting up (what ltitle there was)
00's- utter, utter crap- have heard nothing good from anything popular nowadays. Makes me sad.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

Modest Mouse?:LOL:

I can't believe you just grouped Modest Mouse with the rest of that crap. Yes, their last album was fairly mediocore, but the rest of their discography is full of greats and classics. They were one of the defining bands of 90's indie rock.

80's - Metal, hard rock
90's - Nine Inch Nails, evolved rock, melodic death metal (In Flames, Opeth, etc)
2000-now - Great old bands releasing new albums
60's - Hendrix
70's - Pink Floyd, etc
50's - ?

What really scares me is the thought of chavs and the like in fifty years or so :O

I love now, 90s, and 80s equally. Such great music comes from all three eras.

I love my modern music, but I'm no chav
Then I wasn't talking about you. I was talking specifically about chavs, and "gangstas"... It'll be hilarious to see like, 80 year old men with thei boxers hanging out and their shirts like dresses... actually, maybe more disgusting, but w/e.

Don't care when the music's made, as long as it's good.

Guess you missed the Bloc Party then, huh? :E

Or you didn't notice what the guys from Municipal Waste have been doing lately?

And what about the beauty of the Mars Volta? Truly remarkable music in this day and age of such vapid garbage on the airwaves...

But don't forget Gogol Bordello either. Gypsy punks have a lot to say!

ACK! I forgot the Pseudo-Heroes! They're perhaps the best and most creative pounk band out there right now! Go listen to Prison of Small Perceptions and tell me that I'm wrong!

There's a lot to be said for this decade of music so far and this is just some of the best from recent memory. I have no doubt greater things will come in the next 3.5 years. :thumbs:

80's - the greatest decade of them all had the greatest music. Rawk, ahh!
50's - the beginning of rock and roll.
60's - groovy.
70's - funky.
00's - Not last only because I can't remember the 90's music scene clearly.
90's - what even happened in this era?

Also, I know we were starting with the 50's and up, but I have to make a mention for the 20's. It's the jazz age, and should never be forgotten. Great musical period, the 20's-30's.

90's - what even happened in this era?
Im suprised you don't remember, it was only 6 years ago.

Well, Radiohead released two classic albums( the Bends,OK Computer). Ok computer is a strong candidate for the best album ever made.

Weezer had two classics as well( pinkerton/blue album)

Flaming lips came into their own with titles like The Soft Bulletin, clouds taste metallic and the groundbreaking Zaireeka.

Nirvana released two great studio Albums( nevermind, in utero) and a great live album( their best imo) MTV unplugged in newyork.

Neutral Milk Hotel released the Folk Masterpiece Aeroplane over the sea

But there are so many more, anyone of these albums would be a good starting point though.

check this list, its filled with some top notch 90's material
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/36737/Staff_List_Top_100_Albums_of_the_1990s

You people do realize everyone in 30 years will be like "omg, no good music is being made in 2036, I wish they'd make music like in 2006 again!"?

They 70's look good because we've forgotten long since all the shit that came out back then. Some of you say the 90's were pretty good, but there was some AWFUL music being made then (boy bands, anyone?), but we've luckily forgotten those. The shit of the 00's is still fresh in our memory and we're reminded of it every day.

Worst list ever. Pearl Jam - Ten isn't even on there.

For good reason, it's an average album at best.

You people do realize everyone in 30 years will be like "omg, no good music is being made in 2036, I wish they'd make music like in 2006 again!"?

They 70's look good because we've forgotten long since all the shit that came out back then. Some of you say the 90's were pretty good, but there was some AWFUL music being made then (boy bands, anyone?), but we've luckily forgotten those. The shit of the 00's is still fresh in our memory and we're reminded of it every day.
Agreed, like ive said many times, the next great album isn't going to sell 10 million copies. Mainstream music may be at an all time low, but that hardly detracts from the indie seen. Bands like Modest Mouse, Radiohead, the Arcade fire, the faunts, Sufjan Stevens( i could go on) are making timeless music as we speak. There is and will continue to be a wealth of great music for this decade, it's just under the surface.

....Most favorite?

Anyway, I'd say probably the 70s, only because of the post-punk era with Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, etc. I'd say 90s is a very close second however.

Time does tend to filter out the shit, though I'm wondering how much we'll be left with after it's filtered out this decade.

Guess you missed the Bloc Party then, huh? :E

Or you didn't notice what the guys from Municipal Waste have been doing lately?

And what about the beauty of the Mars Volta? Truly remarkable music in this day and age of such vapid garbage on the airwaves...

But don't forget Gogol Bordello either. Gypsy punks have a lot to say!

There's a lot to be said for this decade of music so far and this is just some of the best from recent memory. I have no doubt greater things will come in the next 3.5 years. :thumbs:

Erm... nope, I still think I'm right. Would help if they had free MP3s on more than just that second site... the last two actually looked interesting.

But, I also mentioned specifcally popular music, by which I meant like, MTV and radio. All my favorite albums are from the last five years or so, but not by any bands everybody knows.

good point... I had completely forgotten about boy bands :x

But, I also mentioned specifcally popular music, by which I meant like, MTV and radio. All my favorite albums are from the last five years or so, but not by any bands everybody knows.
Well, in that case, popular music has always pretty much sucked. The only exception is in the 80s when some new-wave bands got some good airplay. What a scene!!

Yeah, Bloc Party is the only recent band that I've been listening to lately.
I hear you. I actually like some of Keane's stuff too, but I can only take it in relatively small doses. Bloc Party I could listen to all day however.

I'm equally happy with each decade really, it's just the really dire stuff from this decade is always on telly :<

I love the 70's and 80's. My dad would argue that 80's was the, "Barren wasteland for music." *sigh*

But 70's is just the best decade. All the greatests artists came out then *Besides The Temptations :D*

They're just ripping off Gang Of Four :p
Maybe their sound from the re-records on Return the Gift, but it sounds pretty different from their early stuff. BP just doesn't have the same funk sound to their material.

Oh, and the Kaiser Chiefs and Dogs Die In Hot Cars are quite good right now too.

top:
1)90's. Grunge, Post-Grunge and alternative.
2)70's. Very good stuff, pink floyd...
3)60's. Hendrix, Beatles and other rock that was starting to break away from the blues roots of rock.

bottom
1)80's. Music died in the 80's for a brief period of time. very very very awful hard rock and very very very even more awful pop-synth rock. utter shit. This was a time when everyone was excited about the new electronic instruments coming out, yet all of the electronic instruments pretty much sucked during this time.
2)00's Music today is turning into some weird emo/hardcore stuff with screaming, rap influences and very cheezy and stupid sound.

good point... I had completely forgotten about boy bands :x

Boy bands evolved into the likes of 50 cent, Chamillionare (sp), Timberlake, Chris Brown, Chingy and all the other famous rappers/hip hop lamers.

Maybe their sound from the re-records on Return the Gift, but it sounds pretty different from their early stuff. BP just doesn't have the same funk sound to their material.

Oh, and the Kaiser Chiefs and Dogs Die In Hot Cars are quite good right now too.
It was partly a joke.. everyone is borrowing heavily from Gang Of Four at the moment.. :E

Oh and Kaiser Chiefs are a band for girls to listen to and say they like indie. Boring pop drivel, an album characterised by strong singles and LOADS of filler.

Back