Movies that affected or changed your life?

Garfield_

Reaction score
Are there any movies or tv-shows that has affected your life or even changed parts of it, your way to live, see things or feel?
Have they made you a better or worse person?

Amelie gave me a kind of general happy feel after seeing it, dunno really what else tbh :|

Oh yeah. Amelie makes me content whenever I watch it.

Requiem for a Dream ruins my day, I get all depressed.

Punch Drunk Love makes is a wonderful movie, which fills me with a bunch of different emotions after watching. Oh Adam Sandler, you could've been somebody...

nothings 'changed my life' but certain films affect me after watching

for example i watched crash the other day and appreciated cultural difference a little more ...then i ..god no i can't make jokes like what i'm thinking on this forum

I'LL HAVE MYSELF BANNED! banned i tell you. i sometimes think that when i write things online, i'm talking to my equally non-pc friends. turns out i'm not

I have sneaky feeling that watching Alien 3 when I was young helped develop my unexplained tendancy to avoid rooms with a big-ass'd hole in the ceiling.

I remember my old high school bathroom had one. Oooh, I used to shudder when I looked at it. Things always went really silent when I was in there alone. :x

Requeim for a Dream kind of made me sad, but not really changed my life.

I could list a bunch but the most of you have never heard of them ..and wouldnt watch them either cuz they're mostly art films

mainstream film I'd have to go with the classics like

casablanca, Maltese falcon, on the road movies (bing crosby, bob hope) ...maybe some spaghetti westerns ..a few dramas here and there but mostly classics and art films

oh and Bladerunner

CptStern said:
I could list a bunch but the most of you have never heard of them ..and wouldnt watch them either cuz they're mostly art films

Try me. 8 1/2 must be in there.

CptStern said:
oh and Bladerunner
Wonderful flick.

I don't know. Movies don't really change my life, just let me think about new things.

CptStern said:

Please do say, I'm looking to watch more arty films.

I can't think of any films that changed my life. I liked the film Strange Days because part of it captured how I felt about a certain girl.

The lion king man. I never felt about lions like that after watching the flick.

Total Recall.

I was like seven at the time and it was on the tv, you know the scene where he's trying to get onto mars dressed up as that chick? I just started watching a few seconds after he took of the robotic head and it started talking... then proceed to blow up. I had nightmares about that untill I was like 11.

Feath said:
Please do say, I'm looking to watch more arty films.

I can't think of any films that changed my life. I liked the film Strange Days because part of it captured how I felt about a certain girl.

just pick any of the great directors like Ingmar bergman, federico fellini, pier paulo passolini, Jean-Luc Goddard, Michelangelo Antonioni etc

it all depends on what you like personally as some art films can be dreadfully boring unless you have an interest in the particular movement or era in film making

Ladri di biciclette (the bicycle thief) is often credited as one of the best films of all time yet seen outside of it's context it's kinda boring :)

some art films of interest.

La chinoise, Breathless, Les Carabiniers: Jean-Luc Goddard
the passenger: Michelangelo Antonioni
La Dolce Vita, 8 1/2, : Fellini
Bob le Flambeur: Jean-Pierre Melville
Grand Illusion, Rules of the Game: Jean Renoir
Jules et Jim: Francois Truffaut
Il Conformista, Last Tango in Paris: Bernardo Bertolucci
Belle de Jour: Luis Bunuel

mind you most are more than 40 years old ..and it helps if you know the specific history around the movie and what art movement it belongs to ..oh and all of them are subtitled

most of those films are enjoyable to watch as well as being an art film

here's a good list of good movies (not all are great) but they represent (for the most part) the best of the best ..ironically it's from a film studies course list

http://www.essex.ac.uk/filmstudies/current_students/Video_Collections.htm

watch the classics ..they're classic for a reason :)

edit: DeusExMachina :thumbs:

they made every movie after that and before that a bad movie :p

Bladerunner for me too. The scene where Decker meets Dr. Tyrell - the perfect metaphor at the right time in my life with the best quote ever: "I want more life, fu*ker." That was so well done, I think I'll watch it again!

Karate kid trilogy and Back to the future trilogy. Also the goonies and Stand by me. My four alltime fav classic movies

Alien made me fear sleeping on my back for a good few years. I felt my chest was too exposed to having something burst out of it.

Lemonking said:
they made every movie after that and before that a bad movie :p
LOL yes i think the TLOTR movies are very good but don't match the book to well.

Neon Genesis Evangelion #1

Thats the big one the insane one the great one. Best thing EVER MADE!

ya it's right up there with citizen kane

some of you have horrible tastes in movies :E

the lion king? come on ..that story is as old as civilization itself ..sentimental pap

Fightclub affected me, showed me alternative views.
Falling Down affected me.
American Psycho.
Trainspotting, again showed me alternative views
Jesus Christ Superstar, showed me that musicals need not be superficial expression of a lack of imagination.

CptStern said:

the lion king? come on ..that story is as old as civilization itself ..sentimental pap

Your talking to me i hope! :)

Javert said:
Speilberg's A.I.
Damn good movie.

Can't say I feel deeply about any I've seen though.

But for some reason... now I want to watch Robot Carnival. :S

CptStern said:

You should turn on your sarcastic detector on.

Back