Music in Episode 1

605Scorpion

Reaction score
I remember music was a big deal to a lot of people with Half Life 2 (me included), so here is the list for Episode 1, in order of appearance.

PS: If you're too lazy to make titles, I included mine.
PPS: Get and use GCFScape before anyone asks where to get these. :hmph: (Path for the music files is "episode 1 shared.gcf" - root - episodic - sound - music)

• VLVX_song1
    • Rollermine/stalker room
    • Forced Action
  • VLVX_song2
    • Combine advisor room (AKA the room with lots of red light in the Citadel)
    • Combine
  • VLVX_song19a
    • When you enter the core
    • The Core
  • VLVX_song8
    • First dark room/after empty turret tunnel/before completely black tunnel
    • Lowlife
  • VLVX_song11
    • Just after you see your first zombine
    • Zombine
  • VLVX_song19b
    • The elevator room
    • Quiet
  • VLVX_song12
    • The elavator room, after all hell breaks loose
    • Belated Salvation
  • VLVX_song4
    • After antlion guard arena/when Alyx mans the "machinegun"
    • Null Guard
  • VLVX_song18
    • The hospital
    • No Aid
  • VLVX_song21
    • Final battle (strider)
    • Exit 17

Nice. Didn't realise they added new songs. Musn't have been paying attention since its all background music to me. I think the only time in a game I've ever been snapped out of the game to listen to the music was in Minerva: Metastasis's second Chapter. Whoever composed it is really good. It has this really sad chilling part in the 3rd quarter of it that instantly made me really sad. Sorta reminds me of a song from Eve Online called "Merchants, Looters and Ghosts". As you can tell it was haunting too from the "ghosts" part.

I think thats what hl2 really lacks is haunting chilling moments like in minerva. It's funny it's only a mod but I prefer that one song to all of hl2's tense action packed electronica anyday. Although I have to listen through the songs again before I say hl2 doesnt have any haunting music. So I may be wrong and just not have noticed any chilling music.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107773

Lincoln said:
VLVX_song1 - Disrupted Original
VLVX_song2 - Combine Advisory
VLVX_song4 - Guard Down
VLVX_song8 - Darkness at Noon
VLVX_song11 - Self Destruction
VLVX_song12 - Eine Kleiner Elevatormuzik
VLVX_song18 - What Kind of Hospital Is This?
VLVX_song19a - Infraradiant
VLVX_song19b - Decay Mode
VLVX_song21 - Penultimatum

from the horse's mouth

I like FakeFactorys music better , HL2 music seems not appropriate with the Techno crap, I like FF's instrumental music, It gives a better feeling, Because When I kill some thing I dont want to dance I want to kill it.

You are silly and full of dumb.

But I haven't listened to FakeFactory's music replacements yet.

If you would be so kind as to link me, I might very well retract my harsh remarks in favor of gentler admonishments against your musical taste.

Regardless, Episode One's track Disrupted Original is pure awesome.

To me FF gives it a more HL feeling lets take an example of Black Mesa: source it uses instrumental music, This is not a club, this is a FPS!!!!!

BTW, Fake Factory uses music from Movie's like Batman Begins, Armegedon, Pearl Harbor, with the new music it gives Hl2 a more Cinematic feeling, SO don't talk about Fakefactory its one of the most Respected Mods by the Hl2 Community.

Here's a link so that you can Flame me, as you so say, this is for HL2----------> http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/FakeFactory_Oggs_Cinematic_Mod;58868

BTW I liked HL2: episode Two's trailer music it gave it a sad feeling that this is the end.

Crowbar-at-hand said:
BTW I liked HL2: episode Two's trailer music it gave it a sad feeling that this is the end.
Oddly enough, Ep 2's trailer music is nothing new, it's just a mix of four existing songs. The first tune is an Episode 1 piece (an ambient piece from "Lowlife"), the second is from when you kill the striders in the last City 17 map of HL2, the sad music is from the Church in Lost Coast and the final piece plays in the first Zombine encounter in Episode 1.

Oh my, thank you for the concern. I'm just fine though. That is a mighty impressive filesize though. I'll no doubt commend these fine chaps for their work on the world textures and a good portion of the character maps.

I don't beleive I'll use all of the mod though. I'll probably cull some of the character textures or try to rework them (like Alyx and Gman) so they aren't so far off from the originals. I wonder if anyone else has already doen that?

Honestly, where did Alyx manage to find both lip gloss and eyeshadow not only in a futuristic dystopian wasteland but in very eastern Europe? Did she make it? These are rugged, dirty people fighting for their lives every day; moving in shadow and living off the scraps of their opressors. They wouldn't bother with trivialities like how pretty they look. I'll not be a party to that kind of silliness.

I'll extract the audio (if it needs extracting) and give it a listen so see what they've mashed together. But I'm not terribly hot on the idea of mishmashed mixes from Hans Zimmer's work with the Jerry Bruckheimer Masturbatory Bullet-Ballet Symphony. If I hear one single track from "The Rock", I'll be deleting the whole thing.

On calling Kelly Bailey's music for HL2 and subsequent titles 'dance' music: that is plainly incorrect. The timing, the use of extensive breakbeats, the total lack of traditional cadence and rythim, and often having no beat at all means that those tracks are entirely unfit for dancing. You speak of the music of the rave scene; what the media likes to call 'electronica'. Kelly Bailey is of a more self indulgent set in the vein of Richard D. James or Squarepusher. I assure you that these tracks wouldn't survive a night in the dance scene.

Scotchy said:
On calling Kelly Bailey's music for HL2 and subsequent titles 'dance' music: that is plainly incorrect. The timing, the use of extensive breakbeats, the total lack of traditional cadence and rythim, and often having no beat at all means that those tracks are entirely unfit for dancing. You speak of the music of the rave scene; what the media likes to call 'electronica'. Kelly Bailey is of a more self indulgent set in the vein of Richard D. James or Squarepusher. I assure you that these tracks wouldn't survive a night in the dance scene.
Spot on, my man.

Kelly Bailey's music is either for atmosphere, or action. Episode 1 surprised me in that the bulk is action. Both Half Life and Half Life 2 had much more ambient mood sort of music. The music whilst you navigate under the train bridge on Highway 17, for example. It really drives home the precariousness of the whole scene.

kupoartist said:
My apologies. I was not aware.

Anybody who thinks this is dance music needs to have a screwdriver rammed through their eardrums since they were obviously ****ed to begin with. There might be a few tracks remotely danceable in terms of their rhythm, but the very atmosphere of most of the tracks is entirely unsuited for it. While I wouldn't go as far as comparing it to the likes of Aphex or Squarepusher, he is far closer to that than any house, rave, or whatever the hell you're associating it with.

HL and HL2's music is fine. It fits in with the odd, sci-fi theme of things. Instrumentals should be slightly complementary at best, or not at all.

FakeFactory & Ogg's Cinematic mod I use most of the textures except on Alyx because her lips look tooo big imo, it gets rid of the "asain look" which I want to keep the asain look so.

The music from Fakefactory is from movie's Like Batman begins, and pearl Harbor those movies, its Mostly Batman begins though, they're very good.

I recommend the track's:

1) canals_09_helibombing

2) canals_11_airboat_gun

3) d1_RooftopMusic

4)HL2_dino6

5)HL2_song6

6)HL2_song15

7) HL2_song27_trainstation2

8) HL2_song30

9) novaprospekt_entrance1

10) song_Heli_Drop

Here's are only just some of the good songs in Fakefactory.

Yeah I If You dont like What I think of HL and Hl2 originals music, Then why does Black Mesa: Source use instrumental music, For there song, infact it was awarded for best audio, sry to burst your bubble, But The mod thats remaking HL1 under the Source engine replaced Hl1's music with more appropriate music.

But I must say there only a few that I like From original Hl2, such as HL2_song23_SuitSong3, HL2_song16.

Now don't misunderstand me, sonny. I'm not pissing on BM:S's music at all. What I've heard of it, I like. I've made no bubble to burst. BM:S wasn't even a part of what I was saying.

What I am pissing on is Jerry Bruckheimer movie soundtracks scored by Hans Zimmer (movies like Pearl Harbor, Batman Begins, Armageddon, The Rock, National Treasure, Crimson Tide, etcetera) in that oh so droll nuclear explosion symphony style. It's the same cacophonous racket over and over again; music that takes itself far too seriously given it's stylistic and creative shortcomings.

I'm opposed to attaching that level of waste to Half-Life; to drag this wonderful thing into the muck with Michael Bay.

After listening to prettymuch all of the music in the mod, It becomes blatanly obvious that these guys are huge fans of Batman Begins and Black Hawk Down. I'm going to resist my better judgement and give this mod a spin (the music part I mean) and see how it plays within the game. I'm willing to bet that the Batman theme gets pretty old pretty quick.

If they had ripped from someone who does more than one soundtrack over and over again for a decade plus, I wouldn't have muc ha problem with it. John Powell's (Bourne Identity/Supremacy) stuff would have worked well here I think. He has a very european sound about his work anyway.

Funny Most people I know seem to like Fakefactory's Music, infact never A complaint, I guess you're the first dude, Oh well.

And Oh yeah don't call me "Sonny", even though I have blonde hair, but I don't appreciate it, mind you, I aint young, Wish I was a little.

Cheers:smoking:

Not likely about me being the first. People have been complaining about zimmer's derivitive work for many years now. But he's scored most of the huge action popcorn flicks in the last decade, so I imagine joe-bloe moviegoer will hear that music and go "Oh hell yeah... super action asskick to the MAXX... EXTREEEEEME!!!!!1111" or similar.

And you're only as young as you wish to be ;)

EDIT: You know what? Forget it. We have a difference of opinion about what constitues good music and how that music should apply to the HL gaming experience. Let's just agree to disagree.

Escept about the lipglossy supermodel Alyx skin... that's unforgivable.

Back