Music you will listen to.

Reaction score
I started this thread some time back on the official Half-Life 2 forums and it was pretty popular. So, what music, (If not the official music) will you listen to during Half-Life 2?

Personally, I'll have Mushroomhead's new CD XIII and their older XX playing softly in the background. Maybe the first time through, I'll listen to the music that is Half-Life, but after a while, I'll play my own as I immerse myself in the world.

The provided in-game music for me, all the way through, each and every time :)

I can't get into a game without the music that was made for it.. it helps me get inside the game so much more than anything else

Originally posted by Top Secret
I started this thread some time back on the official Half-Life 2 forums and it was pretty popular. So, what music, (If not the official music) will you listen to during Half-Life 2?

Personally, I'll have Mushroomhead's new CD XIII and their older XX playing softly in the background. Maybe the first time through, I'll listen to the music that is Half-Life, but after a while, I'll play my own as I immerse myself in the world.

what a coincidence, im listening to mushroomhead XIII right now "almost gone".

but i'll be listening to the hl2 music when i play, i cant stand having music taking my attention off audio details in the game world.

Music in a game is designed to fill up the silence in the background, only takes the stage when something exciting is going to/ is already happenning then it hides in the background again.

Listening to your fave music while playing a game these days may ruin any atmosphereric influence the music was suppose to have.

Saying all that I suppose if you want to listen to your own music, thats your choice. I personally never listen to proper music in instead of game music, ruins my immersion into the game world methinks :p

I'm listening to Rob D's music from The Matrix Reloaded. Awesome stuff. :)

First time... in game music of course

2nd time.... MetallicA... oh yeah

As important as music is, anyone who has seen the first alien knows how important silence is too.

Wouldn't it make sense for somebody to code a dynamic music thing? All it would need to do really is tell it when to turn down the volume on the cd drive....so you could play a cd of your favourite music, but, say it was a tense, suspenseful moment in the game, it could turn down the music so it was more in the background. Thereby not interfering and/or overpowering subtle sound effects that would add to the atmosphere of the game. Even movies do that....there'll be a heavy song playing, and then it'll fade way down low and they'll overlay it with ominous strings, and the clashing of the two sounds adds dischord, which in turn adds tension. It could also turn the music right down all the way if it needed to, or in turn, it could turn it up louder if there was a frantic action sequence going on. Anyway, just an idea....i don't code, or i would try it myself. But back to the topic at hand, i would probably listen to a cd by Download....prolly "The Eyes of Stanley Pain."

In single player, I'll listen to nothing. In multi player, it'll mostly be 311, mixed with some of everything else.

Chemical Brothers-the Singles....and the new album due early next year

By the looks of it i might be listening to the new Beatles album or the new Doors single.

Originally posted by Sn7
I'm listening to Rob D's music from The Matrix Reloaded. Awesome stuff. :)

Yea "Furious angel" is awesome fightin music! :cool:

well i will be listening to 'the music', yes thats a band.

im sure a few people have heard of them, and i just got the album today, so its on right now

:)

haha

Have you guys heard the ambient music from hl2_tunnels? That's enough for me. Multiplayer is a different story though, I'll take some Aphex Twin or RJD2 with that.

Probably some Apcoalyptica, and some Pantera (****ing hostile is good kill stuff music )

would you guys prefer a game that had plenty of ambient noise and interesting effects in the background, or a game that had a musical score to hum along to? personally, i prefer lots of ambient noise that creates a world and completely immerses you.

for multiplayer i'd probably go for some rage against the machine and maybe a few crusty old tracks. and yes Chris, The Music are a pretty good band, went to see them in london a while back, not bad at all.

Originally posted by poseyjmac
ill be blasting hilary duff music. oh yeah!

oh yeah! lol, I ended up getting her Christmas CD as a gag gift at Christmas, pretty odd

Originally posted by Dedalus
would you guys prefer a game that had plenty of ambient noise and interesting effects in the background, or a game that had a musical score to hum along to? personally, i prefer lots of ambient noise that creates a world and completely immerses you.

for multiplayer i'd probably go for some rage against the machine and maybe a few crusty old tracks. and yes Chris, The Music are a pretty good band, went to see them in london a while back, not bad at all.

From the bink videos it seems like it's sort of an ambient beat in the backround that dynamically changes with the amount of onscreen action. hl2_barricade and hl2_tunnels are the two best examples. That's my favorite type of SP ingame music.

I wish the RZA had done the beats for the game. Has anyone seen Kill Bill or Ghostdog? The beats are incredible.

I'll be listening to RAMMSTEIN while i play HL2.

ps: Damn what a good music they have.
ps2: hehe i have all the albuns.

Originally posted by Top Secret

I'll play Lab-4 and their album Virus, and also Warp Brothers' new album Warp Factor. But personally I prefer a more natural Silent Hill 2 esq kind of soundtrack/ambient sounds to playing my own music, because normally in games the music dynamically changes to suit the situation.

Originally posted by iamironsam
Have you guys heard the ambient music from hl2_tunnels? That's enough for me. Multiplayer is a different story though, I'll take some Aphex Twin or RJD2 with that.

Pantera was funny but Rammestein
yuck.gif
SUX!!!!!!!

I will be listening to the ingame music.

Hey Top Secret what happened to the official HL2 forums? I have searched everywhere and it's not on the Vivendi/Sierra website.

I think I'll play metallicas "the call of ktulu". that is all.

single player...

the ingame music, sounds pretty cool from the movies I have seen.

Multi Player

Matrix Soundtrack and Matrix Reloaded Soundtrack

probably the revolutions soundtrack by then as well

When I played HL1 I had a weird problem with my soundcard and music didn't play at all. It was actually pretty good.

I guess Ill be listening to ingame music in HL2.

Originally posted by Milo
THRICE

hell f***ing yea! i listened to the first album all the time to the multiplayer when Thrice had just released it, and its still the funnest music to play multiplayer to.

as for Singleplayer... the game music. until ive beaten it a bunch of times, then ill probably play thrice to it as well:)

Definetly metal. im listening to cowboys from hell right now (Pantera 4 those who dont have taste). and definitly NOT punk music, that stuff is like acid 4 ur ears! horrible stuff.

Definetly metal. im listening to cowboys from hell right now (Pantera 4 those who dont have taste). and definitly NOT punk music, that stuff is like acid 4 ur ears! horrible stuff.

ill niño and dismember alle teh way.

:cheese: Don't forget Motograter.

first i'll start it off with richard strauss - introduction, then move onto wagner - ride of the valkyries.

when i get a good game, i need those proper classical tunes to get me pumping, i doubt it'd listen to any music ingame, because it would spoil the hl2 music and the theme. but perhaps during a break or after the game, chuck some metallica on, to get me pumped again, while i suck on a powerade and munch on an energy bar

:)

Whenever I'm on the computer I put on the local Classic Rock station and listen to bands such as AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, and pretty much any other good band that started at least 15 years before I was born :D

I'm at Uni now, and am now listening to the Chili Peppers (Californication atm).

Well...

Sonic Youth
Union Youth (my favorite right now)
Fantomas
Tomahawk
Smashing Pumpkins
Tocotronic (german indierock and indiepop band...)
and...

CAKE!!! (<-- that band is so freaky funny it's the best happy happy music I ever heard!)

Back