My finger is so tired...

What do you think?

• MORE FORUMS! RESIST AND MULTIPLY!

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • It's fine like it is.

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • We're getting too cluttered, so let's scale it back.

Votes: 29 51.8%

• Total voters

Narcolepsy

Reaction score
... and my scroll wheel is crying out for mercy.

I was thinking that maybe we could have an exotic cheese forum, so we could discuss everyone's favorite aged cow by-product. We could have a forum about literature, a forum about politics, or even a forum about sporks! For that matter, why not split the other games forum up into every single game in existance? That would make everything nice and organized.

We have too many forums since this revamp! The music forum was, by some stretch of the imagination necessary, but the movies/dvd one is just crazy. This is a Half-Life 2 forum; it made sense before, when there was one about games and one about everything else. Now we're turning it into an everything forum, with a slight emphasis on Half-Life 2.

The entire thing is just getting a bit to expansive for my tastes. I think some consolidation is in order.

I guess we could combine the music and TV/Movie/DVD forums into a general Entertainment forum or something. Or make them sub-forums in Off-topic chat.

It's not too bad at the moment, but we shouldn't add anymore.

I don't really like the idea of having to much forums, after all, it's all about hl2 and moding.

and my scroll wheel is crying out for mercy.

i dont have a scrollingwheel... :|
yepp.. i think there are to many of them..

We'll sort it out, don't worry!

How bout a 'burnzie appreciation' forum.

I need it to boost my already large, attractive, well groomed ego :D

We are the forum sections, surrender your scrollweels and prepare to be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

yes it's an HL2 forum but where exactly does that stop we as a community discussing other things ?

I've always felt the range you are bemoaning one of the missing things about this community. I mean let's face it , You could cut the hl2 threads down by about 80% if we got rid fo the tat , repeats , spam , pointless musings and meanderings of addled minds and the other worthless threads. Leaving us with some steam chat , a few bits on source games and an OT forum that swallows threads by my count every few days if not quicker depending on how busy it is.

Could the forum look tidier ? Sure , I guess so , the other forums could be under OT like D3 is with general gaming ... but for me it's six and half a dozen.

If it turns out the new layout doesnt get used a whole lot , fine , we'll change I'm sure. But you could at least give it some time :)

I vote for "too cluttered" but I don't mind either way :)

Yeah...

yeah, get rid of a lot of the crap that does nothing to support HL2. i see some of the stuff having some sense to them, but the rest, i mean, cmon, it's pointless enough wanting to read about HL2 when Doom3 threads start appearing out of nowhere

What about having a main link for the main topics we have now but have all the specific links within that.
One more click to get where you want but a whole lot less scrolling for some. Here is sort of an example.

I was thinking that maybe we could have an exotic cheese forum, so we could discuss everyone's favorite aged cow by-product.

mmmm cheese

add HL2 speculation and make both Music and Films forum sub-forums.

my 0.02€

make use of the subforum vbulletin so nicely provides.

Just use the "new posts" button to see what new threads are being made. I use that for browsing on here 80% of the time now. That way it doesn't matter what forum it was posted in because you get to see it anyway.

Erm, so what we're going to do, because we're having to move our fingers to much (god forbid), is just take the music forum and movie/film/TV forum and just stick them as subforums for off-topic? How does that make you click things/browse things less? How does by doing away with two of the forums on the main forum page make the site more uncluttered? Are the two/three forums throwing you off? Really? Or are you just complaining because it interferes with your already rigorous exercise plan? :p

For those who want to just delete the things, while we're at it we should just take the Half-Life: Source, DOD: Source, Twilight War, and Vampire Bloodlines forum and make them a subtopic of general gaming or just delete them and let people post about them in general gaming. I mean they really aren't about Half-Life 2. Maybe we should just split the forums up into two sections: Half-Life 2 and non Half-Life 2. Anyone getting the point I'm trying to make? Categorization = Good. Too much categorization = bad I know, but honestly. Your complaining because you have to press the back button and then click on a text link?

I realize I seem to be fighting a loosing battle here and, in the end, what the majority of people want should be the thing added/taken away. Maybe thought, if you would give it a little time, I seriously think you might grow accustomed to it or even like it.

For those who want to just delete the things, while we're at it we should just take the Half-Life: Source, DOD: Source, Twilight War, and Vampire Bloodlines forum and make them a subtopic of general gaming or just delete them and let people post about them in general gaming. I mean they really aren't about Half-Life 2. Maybe we should just split the forums up into two sections: Half-Life 2 and non Half-Life 2. Anyone getting the point I'm trying to make?
Actually I'm not getting your point. In fact, I think the plan you outlined here is excellent. :)

As mentioned in another topic, there weren't really a ton of movie and TV or music topics as it is. A political forum is more needed since topics of the political nature are half of what is posted in the OT forum.

ShadowFox said:
Actually I'm not getting your point. In fact, I think the plan you outlined here is excellent. :)

As mentioned in another topic, there weren't really a ton of movie and TV or music topics as it is. A political forum is more needed since topics of the political nature are half of what is posted in the OT forum.

exactly.
still don't understand how the staff got talked into a "Films, TV & DVD" section or even the music section.

dart321 said:
Erm, so what we're going to do, because we're having to move our fingers to much (god forbid), is just take the music forum and movie/film/TV forum and just stick them as subforums for off-topic? How does that make you click things/browse things less? How does by doing away with two of the forums on the main forum page make the site more uncluttered? Are the two/three forums throwing you off? Really? Or are you just complaining because it interferes with your already rigorous exercise plan? :p

For those who want to just delete the things, while we're at it we should just take the Half-Life: Source, DOD: Source, Twilight War, and Vampire Bloodlines forum and make them a subtopic of general gaming or just delete them and let people post about them in general gaming. I mean they really aren't about Half-Life 2. Maybe we should just split the forums up into two sections: Half-Life 2 and non Half-Life 2. Anyone getting the point I'm trying to make? Categorization = Good. Too much categorization = bad I know, but honestly. Your complaining because you have to press the back button and then click on a text link?

I realize I seem to be fighting a loosing battle here and, in the end, what the majority of people want should be the thing added/taken away. Maybe thought, if you would give it a little time, I seriously think you might grow accustomed to it or even like it.
I admire your ironic take on my originally satirical post, because, as we all know, imitation is the highest form of flattery.

But really, I just think that if things are too categorized, each of the forums becomes too sparsely populated. It's not a matter of my finger falling off (that was a joke :LOL: ), but it getts annoying if you have to click through too many boards. Before, off topic was a bustling board full of activity and variety, but if we categorize it too much, it loses that quality. Am I making sense now?

ShadowFox said:

A political forum? Do you have any idea how many resources humanity would have to call upon from keeping the forum from becoming one big flame?

Anyway, from a public relations standpoint, widening the appeal of the forums (not a lot, just a little. We're still on media here, not cheese or furniture) will attract more people to HL2.net and thus get more people posting. You cant come to Half-Life 2 .net without ever posting about Half-Life 2. Unless you don't want people to join our elite little group.

Other than I want the rumors and speculation back, it's fine.

Narcolepsy said:
I admire your ironic take on my originally satirical post, because, as we all know, imitation is the highest form of flattery.

To be honest, I'm being funny as to not invoke anger from a lot of people. You win a lot more people over to your argument if your nice to them than if you flame them. I see you have discovered this invaluable piece of information as well... so did the first caveman. Only it was about witch way to place the rocks. I personally still think it was diagonally but annyywway:

Narcolepsy said:
But really, I just think that if things are too categorized, each of the forums becomes too sparsely populated. It's not a matter of my finger falling off (that was a joke :LOL: ), but it getts annoying if you have to click through too many boards. Before, off topic was a bustling board full of activity and variety, but if we categorize it too much, it loses that quality. Am I making sense now?

First off, off-topic was never a "bustling board full of activity and variety". The average number of people on OT was 30ish, now its 25ish. Secondly, just because that theres not a large concentration of people at a particular forum, does not mean your posts are not getting read. A reason to have such forums is to insure people interested in your topics are in the right place.

The forums seem too wide for me. It makes the place seem like a ghost town. :|

dart321 said:
A political forum? Do you have any idea how many resources humanity would have to call upon from keeping the forum from becoming one big flame?
I don't see any reason it would be any worse than the flames that occur in political topics in the OT forum. That is a poor argument on your part.

ShadowFox said:
I don't see any reason it would be any worse than the flames that occur in political topics in the OT forum. That is a poor argument on your part.

When they're in the political forums, everything is about politics. Political discussion can get heated under any circumstance and just about anyone will get mad, much less the rebellious teenagers that often visit these forums. When there is a flame in a political thread in OT, its self contained. After all, how can you take a debate about Kerry's Vietnam record seriously when you have a post about bear crap two below it? It lightens the mood, IMO. Seriously, I'm not making this up. It's already getting heated just by talking about it! Your serve.

dart321 said:
I see you have discovered this invaluable piece of information as well... so did the first caveman. Only it was about witch way to place the rocks. I personally still think it was diagonally but annyywway:
Touché - there's that humor concealing a flame again!

But really, dart, you make a compelling argument. Neither of us are ever going to convince the other - we just have different opinions. And that's okay.

It increases my faith in humanity when threads like this can be intelligent debates rather than idiotic flame wars.

:cheers:

I like having some more sections, actually... I'll be more inclined to actually create threads... a thing I rarely do... :O

Letters said:
I like having some more sections, actually... I'll be more inclined to actually create threads... a thing I rarely do... :O
That's not always a good thing. When I saw the new boards, I had this overwhelming urge to make a rant thread about how great all of my favorite bands are (a thread for each), and for all of my favorite movies, and a Family Guy worshipping thread.

Be very glad I have self-control.

1. I like a good Parmesan (Reggiano of course), but Camambert tastes like feet.

2. The "Postmodern" in our current literature is really not a singular, new, or even 'modern' phenomenon at all; it is only the latest phase of Romanticism, which itself began as a reaction against the Enlightenment.

3. According to cultural materialists, Capitalism is in its late phase, and will soon collapse under its own weight, making way for the glorious Utopia Marx prophesied.

4. The white plastic ones are good, especially for eating chunky soups.

:afro:

Back