My first HL2 machinima

T

Timo

It's called Picking Up Girls and it's my first attempt at a proper machinima. It's not very good and you can see that the editing gets much better towards the end because at first I did all the angle changes in-game and only later realised that it's much better to record the whole thing and edit it afterwards. I promise my next machinima will be much better.

http://files.filefront.com/picking_up_girlsavi/;4581451;;/fileinfo.html

Awesome job, but I ****ing hate Filefront, such a pain in the knicks.

How the #$%#$ did you make that? Can you send me a tutorial?

Wow, thanks for the great response. I guess I was a bit too critical of my own work. I spent so many days making this, so I guess I kind of lost perspective and I honestly didn't think it was very good. losermeetsworld, I don't think I have the time to write a tutorial for making machinimas.

losermeetsworld said:
Awesome job, but I ****ing hate Filefront, such a pain in the knicks.

How the #$%#$ did you make that? Can you send me a tutorial?
filefront used to be awesome :(
i miss the days where you could download entire mods in under a minute ;(

Ok, good stuff.

I think, for your first machinima, it was nice work. The only things I would suggest would be to try some closer angles, especially on Kleiner. The little fireplace behind him was nice, but even with the paintings on the wall, it seemed like dead space in the frame. Remember that camera depth (the distance from the viewer to the subject in a shot) is equal to emotional depth. The farther away from a character we are visually, the more distance we have emotionally. Take a look at some shows on tv for examples of good framing.

The only other thing is to try to come into your scenes a little later. I've noticed a lot of machinima films that open on an empty scene and have the people walk into it. It might be a necessity at times on stage, but you have the ability to start your scene with the camera on one of the characters.

Other than that, pretty damn funny, and I look forward to seeing more.

Pretty damn excellent work there, man. Particularly well written. Your shots could use some work, though.

Back