My headset mic is getting feedback?

Reaction score
so just yesterday, for whatever reason, my logitech headset is not working in steam. When I tried a voice chat, the very first noise that went into the mic just kept looping and getting louder and louder until it was just really weird static. But when I use something like windows sound recorder, my mic works just fine. So I tried the "test hardware" option under the "voice" tab in "sounds and audio devices". Same thing happened. When it gets to the second part of the configuration, where you can hear yourself, it just goes ballistic. I thought it was the headphones, so I got new ones... still the same thing. I installed newer audio devices... still the same thing (its one of those Realtek integrated audio cards). So... any thoughts?

this is the headset Im currently using:

logitech20premium20ster.jpg

My first thought is that there's another mic built into some other device connected to your computer and it's using that instead.

Thanks for the tip, but its not needed. I figured it out. I had installed this software that "records" streaming video and converts it to mpeg (Replay Video Capture). It kinda works like FRAPS, and, in retrospect, I should have just used that. Anyway, in order to record the audio from the stream, it "connected" my audio outline with my mic line, so that any sound being played would go out, then back in through the mic to to the recording software. I was able to change the settings in the program to undo what had been done.

tl;dr

Some wonkus software done broke my audio. But I fixed it.

Back