My HL2 problem and how I fixed it. But Why did I have to?

M

mshack

I have a year old Dell XPS600 which I've been pretty happy with....HL2 and Steam being the only exception. About 2 months ago my system starting crashing/locking up every time I tried to load HL2 from the Steam application. After about 2 weeks of wasting my time with drivers and resets and reloads etc....I finally found the simple solution (posted clearly on this forum but rather buried in the Steam support site). I added the -dxlevel 70 command to the launch application and now everything works fine.

I guess I'm just happy the game works again....but I don't understand why I had to do this. Are there any techno experts on this forum that can explain why this happened? My system isn't THAT out of date (Pentium D 2.8 GHZ dual processors with two nVidia GeForce 6800 cards running in SLI mode). When the computer was right out of the box the game worked fine. But as the updates rolled in....the problems began. My cards have no problem handling directX9 with any other applications or games.

What is it about the combination of the DX9 version & HL2 & my system that doesn't get along? I hope this problem doesn't resurface or prevent me from enjoying the full features of future HL2 episodes as they are released.

Strange... I'm lucky, my computer is of very poor quality and spec but HL2 runs fine, and so does everything else. Yay!

Back