My Mouse is Possessed!

Narcolepsy

Reaction score
My mouse has decided to usurp my leadership and execute its own agenda. When I hold down the left mouse button, say, to highlight or drag a window, it will work at first, but the button will then act as if it is unclicked, and then clicked again.

I realize that makes no sense, so here's an example:
Say I want to highlight a huge amount of text in MSWord. I hold down the button, and drag down. After about a page or two, everything that I have highlighted is unhighlighted, and I beging highlighting again from that spot. The same thing happens when I drag a window. I will click and hold to move it, but the window will then loose focus, and my mouse will click on something else by itself.

This is a very confusing thing to explain. If you have any advice, that would be supremely helpful. If you need more clarification, I'd be happy to give it.

It's an MS Intellimouse Optical 3.0 USB.

Thanks.

i have same problem,

but mine comes from banging on the mouse to much, i actualy broke 2 out of 5 buttons, my wheel mouse dont even workanymore, it only screolls down, i broke some clips or something inside,

if u press gently enough, the button is down but its not doing anything, dont wooryy get new mouse

But I love this mouse so very much. :D Is it really a hardware problem or could it be drivers or something? It worked fine before, and I haven't made any changes.

I never install mouse drivers (especially for logitech mice). I say mouse drivers only mess things up even more.

You could try pluggin the mouse into a different USB port or getting a USB to PS/2 converter.

But I like to program my buttons, so drivers are very good for me. I think I'll try different USB ports, like you said - I wasn't even thinking along hardware lines - I was thinking software problem.

I had the same mouse, it started working erractically - losing connection, buttons going wierd etc.

No amount of tinkering fixed it, so I bought an MX700.

my first intellimouse became posessed. I would sit there not touching my mouse and the arrow would scootch across the screen ever so slowly by itself. Caused me all kinds of havok trying to aim in CS, DoD! my second one after a while stopped responding to right-click. it would only work one of twenty clicks. At that point (a few months ago) i switched over to a Logitech MX510. I love it, and it's running smooth. To MS defense though, the other ones were used a lot and older, so I don't know if it is just wear or shoddy design.

I had the same problem with my old intellimouse. I bought a new mx 400 :p

So, I'm glad that this seems to be a common problem. I'm not crazy after all!

Thanks for all of your help, it looks like a new purchase is in order. Any recommendations?

i have the mx700 and it is wireless. some people dont like the idea of wireless for gaming and i didnt either at first til i tried it out at my friend's house. and i wont go back to those annoying wires. but if you want a wired mouse then id go for the logitech mx510(they have some cool colors now). i wont ever go back to MS for any kind of hardware now cuz of the consistent problems ive had with them. the name alone is buggy

Back