My theory on Race-X, and the BM incident.

V-Man339

Space Core
Reaction score
Okay, I know this will open alot of debate and probably a flame war or two, but here goes.

G-Man is apparently working for or acting like on of the administator's men, the administrator being Dr. Breen who will be the ruler of Earth for the Combine in the near future.
All the scientists are saying that the administrator wants the anti-mass-spectromoter to be pushed to 105% in the experiment that causes the entire Black Mesa incident.

Before any of this happened however the G-Man pulled some strings in the military so that A. Shepard would be in the HECU- the military unit sent to Black Mesa to clean up the entire mess-, so that he could do his biding. Oddly enough Gordon ends up doing most of the work such as sending the sattelite into space and cutting off the portals.
We all know that the Xenians weren't originally from Xen, and Race-X doesn't even live there as we have been throughout Xen multiple times, and we only saw the main Xenian race.

My theory as to why they are there is that they too are on the run from the Combine and are hiding in another dimension similar to Xen.
Nihilanth contacted Race-X somehow and alerted them of the presence of Earth, telling them that it would be a good way to get even farther away from the Combine, and helped them teleport their soldiers to the Black Mesa incident.
Midway through the entire incident we see that Barney Calhoun escapes from Black Mesa, and the G-Man's report says "Out of range" or something like that. He is considered to be out of range not because of G-Man's limitations, but because he honestley hasn't seen too much of the incident such as Gordon and Shepard have.

Race-X in my opinion is similar to us humans compared to Xenians.
What I mean by this is that the different species of both Race-X and Xenians are each comparable to us in that the different creatures are different ranks of beings, such as the Alien Grunt and the Shock Trooper being the soldiers, and the gargantua and the voltigore being the "tanks".
However, the Race-X and the Xenians differ in the way that they are seemingley from the same place, however they are races of the species that comes from the place. It would be the same as the united states being the Xenians, while Japan would be Race-X.

We are all aware of that insanely hard boss at the end of Shepard's journey, the Gene Worm. My theory for the Gene Worm goes with the fact that the strategy guide for the game suggests that it is an industrial creature that changes the landscape suitable for Race-X.
It didn't get there until that late in the incident due to the fact that Nihilanth wouldn't teleport it through because Race-X could change the entire world into it's idea without having to deal with the Nihilanth.
In order to teleport the Gene Worm to the Black Mesa Facility they used the sprites (the little lights that Shepard sees throughout his journey that end up flying into that portal that the Gene Worm comes out of).

Now your probably saying at this point "I thought the Nihilanth was dead by the end of Opposing Force so how could Race-X teleport to Black Mesa?".
Well let's remember Gordon's journey in Xen to get to Nihilanth to kill him. He goes through multiple teleports that eventually lead to Nihilanth.
Now if you remember Half Life 2 you'll recall that when Alyx and Gordon teleported to Kleiner's lab from Nova Prospekt they took a week to arrive after teleporting, which Kleiner calls a "slow teleport". After Grodon having gone through all those teleports in Xen to kill Nihilanth you'd think he went through at least one "slow teleport", and they probably didn't take a week, but they at least took a few hours when concerning the time-line of Opposing Force to Half Life in gameplay hours.

Near the very end after the Gene Worm was killed Shepard is detained by the G-Man, where he is placed in the G-Man's pocket dimension or wherever the hell that place is, due to the fact that he has seen too much of the Black Mesa incident. Now before you say that everybody knows Black mesa happened, I point out that the reason that everybody knows is because of the portal storms that Nihilanth's death caused.
G-Man didn't expect the portal storms to happen because he honestley didn't beleive Gordon could kill him or even make it out of Xen alive. You'll notice that after you get to Xen you never spot G-Man until you kill the Nihilanth. He went to Xen hoping to see the Nihilanth or something, I'm not sure why but somehow both the Nihilanth and the Vortigaunts know him (we'll be reffering to this soon). When he gets there he discovers that you have killed the Nihilanth which only adds to the amount of how much he's been amazed after watching you throughout the incident. He at that point decides to "hire" Gordon and basically turning you into a rent-a-hero for the highest bidder. Note that Opposing Force at this point ends just before Half Life 1 does, which explains alot (such as why the Xenians still had collers throughout the incident), and to back it up while detaining Shepard G-Man has to pass through Xen and then into his pocket dimension, whereas right after that he goes back into Xen, finds out Nihilanth has been killed by Gordon, and hires you.

But to wrap this up, my thoughts on the Pit Worm in Oppossing Force using its eyeball laser beam: how it does this exactley I do not know, but if you pay attention you will notice that it likes dirty water to stay in, possibley with certain chemicles. I think it converts these chemicals into an weapon-like beam that it uses against its prey.
I'll be writing a memo such as this on Half Life 2 which will tie up a few of the loose knots that are left here. Feel free to leave feedback.

P.S. Alot of this may already have been shown somewhere else, but this is sort of just putting it all into one area.

*edit*
How does the genome (gonome?) fit in with this? Well let's look at the fact that there were no genomes in Ravenholm or any other Half Life 2 area, even though they had plenty to eat and chemicals were all around.
This is because of the way that I think the zombie becomes a genome. I think a zombie only becomes a genome if it has become a zombie, however to become a genome it could be any number of possibilites: one could be the human has too much will to live for the headcrab to gain control, another could be just the right amount of chemicals and toxins in the genome's host's body. There could be the possibility that it would need enough food. At this point there's no way to be sure, and all we can do is speculate.

I haven't read it yet, because I'm tired, but I will say Race-X aren't really canon, so I'm not sure how much they figure...

I'm about to read this but could you please leave a space between paragraphs. It would be much appreciated.

At the moment it is a tad displeasing to the eyes.

Edit: After reading: I'd say that Race-X probably were from Xen, we just didn't see them on any of our visits there. We've only seen a tiny fraction of Xen and evidence does seem to suggest that they were from Xen. Eg, the science team had baby shock troopers on study, and Xen is the only universe they were known to be collecting samples from.

That's quite a decent theory, V-Man. Welcome to the inner-sanctum of Half-Life super-nerds.

It's cool that you've put effort into straightening out crimps in the story, but I find it a bit depressing that you've probably put more thought into how Race X fit into things than Gearbox ever did.

I feel that Race-X hasn't been explained enough by anyone so I did this.

I like to think of Race X as Combine Junior. They try to take over, but since they (unwisely) only arrived in a small area, a single nuke was enough to...discourage any serious invasion.

On your gonome edit: I think that a gonome only occurs when zombies are sufficiently fed. In Ravenholm and every other area you find them in HL2/EP1 there are too many zombies and too little food for them to transmogrify into the next stage. That or the ever-popular, Gearbox did it so it never happened.

Would the fast zombies and poison zombies have a second form?

And going even unneccesarily further would there be fast Gonarchs, and Poison Gonarchs?

Speaking of Gonarchs, it's disturbing to think, that those things were once humans...

I just assumed Race X was another race that happened to notice the dimensional tear that the humans opened...

The Race-X is a "Production plant" to make the planet simular to the homewold that they live at now

Excellent.

Did'nt expect Samon to behave that way. woah.

Anyway, the whole thing makes sense, few pointers to add in.

~Race-X and Vorts+A-Grunt+Alien controller(Main Xen Forces), never seen fighting amongst themselves.

~Race-X and xens main forces never seen together. Seems that nihilly put them in different areas, Race-X to suppress the outer perimeter and large spaces, such as ware houses, and vorts to suppress the inner facilities.

But how/why did the voltigore get in the sewers to reproduce?(Besides space wise, could have done it anywayere else bigger, not asking about environment, nor privacy :O)

Race X fought a garg, which were allied to Nihilanth (There is one Interloper map where a garg and agrunts and vorts can be all brought together, and they don't attack. Nihily also teleports you to a chamber with a garg during the final fight).

Back