ne1 else was not expecting the reviews to be this good?

Silent_night

Reaction score
i dont know about u , but i had a huge fealing that the reviews would be like mid to high 80s coz of all the delays an stuff .

The release date of the game, or the amount of delays it had should NOT IN ANY WAY affect the game's score.

It certainly doesn't change how much fun I have in a game...

I don't see what delays could to to "hurt" the game or it's score...

And like Shaith said, delays can only make the game better, not worse...

let's just say that they didn't sit on their duff during the delays, but were making the game kick ass

no

All Valve had to do was make the game as fun as the bink videos showed and my expectations would be met.

Please use real words.

Nobody wants to decipher your teeny-bopper abbreviations.

One of the advantages of the delays (and probably the cause of them) is that they have had time to perfect the game and make it what they planned out for it to be.
If it was reviewed a year ago I think it would have had lower scores in reviews.

If you look back at the design of HL1 there was so much progress and improvement from the year delay that it was totally worth it. And I am probably safe in saying the year delay in half life 2 has been worth it too, although I can only say that once I have played the game and read "the making of" book.

crazed said:
Please use real words.

Now now.. We don't want him to blow a fuse or something.

(fealing, lmao, doesn't school teach english anymore?)

I didn't expect the reviews to be this high at all, I expected them to be around 90%, I expected it to be good, but I haven't seen many sequals matching up to the originals.

From the reviews I have seen, they have gone above and beyond that of the original Half Life, which is high praise indeed.

I'll have to play it to believe it though, it's been a long time since I played a game that I felt was a true classic.

to be honest, i expected the reviews to be around 90 because from the screenshots i thought that the graphics were too dated and not very good in comparison to d3 and FC. but the new screenshots show that the graphics are in fact improved.

i'm expecting a 98 from pcgamer us.

i expected most of them to be 95% and above bt at times i did wonder how every1 would react if the game got like say....85%

I was expecting the game to earn reviews reasonably close to what it's getting now, especially seeing as how Doom III (Which was good, but only for a short while...) scored so well in months past.

As for the game being ranked lower because of "delays"...err...am I missing something here? The reason the game was delayed because it just wasn't finished yet, meaning that for a company like Valve to delay their masterpiece means the finished product will be that much better.

i nvr thawt thade b tis goo
i thwat teh gmae wold suck lol

*sigh*
Kids.
Anyway, I expected it to get at least low-mid 90's.

Always new they would be above 95%.

Wait a sec.....HL2 kicks ass?? WHOA!!! Who'da thunk it.

Ever since valve amazed me with HL2 in E3 2003, I had trust in them that they'd make a great game (even if it came out in 2006!) - regardless of the fact that their marketing sucks.

They may be a joke when it comes to marketing, but they are probably one of my favourite and best devs. (along with bioware). Very talented folks, them.

I expected a mid-90s score, but with multiplayer.

i expected a mid 80s because it delayed for a year now
i thought the game will be dated
but wohha VALVe did a great job as useull

crazed said:
Please use real words.

I laughed out loud, classic. Does it take THAT much longer to type 'you' than 'u'?

But that was off topic. On topic, I wasn't surprised that it scored so high, but I was mighty relieved. After seeing the Binks, I was a little concerned that actual gameplay wouldn't live up to the impressive movies. I'm glad most reviewers seemed to be able to resist docking HL2 for its "CS:S is the only multiplayer" surprise. The singleplayer experience is what they worked so hard on, and CS:S is really well done, so after playing the CS:S beta I was fully expecting reviews in the upper 90s, and it's great to see that all of Valve's back-breaking work paid off.

-UnmarkedOne

Well.

Ever since HL came out I knew we had a golden company on hand. Not just a one hit wonder group. I was lucky enough to be one of the first few to see HL2 premeried at E3 in 2003. After seeing that video, it was clear they had done it again.

And some thought it would be dated because of the delay HAH. Source is so ahead of 98% of the engines out there I knew it could be delayed for quite a while and still be huge. I knew even D3 would be hardly able to compete, I still think DOOM 3's grahpics are not super great, the raw power of it is amazing, but the models, and seeing the same crap again and again, and the minimal physics that were used for a little eye candy.

I knew the second I saw HL2 that it would be the next FPS to raise the bar, I have been saying on forums for a long time. From what I have seen this is what I will say:

"Halo 2...***n."

I am not surprised the reviews are this high.

I have always said this, but the thing that makes a game is gameplay.. and Valve had a good formula for providing a great gaming experience with Half Life that I was sure they could do it again with the sequal.

I have been reading posts here for 1 year with people saying they were worried because HL2's graphics looked dated or were getting "old"... well when you read the reviews for HL2 what are they commenting on? Gameplay and the game experience. Which underscores of what is really important in a game.

No, quiet frankly. I didn't expect them to be this good. In the past just about every game that I was really looking forward to never quiet reached my (and usually everyone else's) expectations. I hope HL2 is going to break this little occurrence of mine.

As for the guy's English, whats the deal? Does it bother you that much? I can certainly understand what he's typing and I think its fairly laughable to accuse someone of their "English" on a internet forum anyway, so long as what they are typing is legible.

dart321 said:
I think its fairly laughable to accuse someone of their "English" on a internet forum anyway, so long as what they are typing is legible.

I argee beacuse it has bene prvoen the brian can fgiure out waht wrods you are triyng to tpye as lnog as the fisrt and lsat letetr are in thier prpoer plcae!

alehm said:
I argee beacuse it has bene prvoen the brian can fgiure out waht wrods you are triyng to tpye as lnog as the fisrt and lsat letetr are in thier prpoer plcae!

Do you really agree with me are or you just showing off a neat fact you learned? :p

Back