Need a new RTS game

elrasho

Reaction score
Im thinking of getting AOE 3 or Earth 2160. I played the demo of AOE3 and was impressed,

any other suggestion?

Not that type of RTS, I want to be able to control the battles like in AOE3 and Stronghold. Civ 4 seems more like a simulator to me

PS. 100th POST! :bounce:

Im thinking of getting AOE 3 or Earth 2160. I played the demo of AOE3 and was impressed. Any other suggestions?

Have you played Rome Total War yet? Best RTS ever. And there's this great combo package with Rome + the expansions, Medieval + Expansions and Shogun + expansions. Well worth the money for 50 dollar / euro.

Yeah Rome Total War was brill, Im lokoing for something like Starcraft, that was the game that got me into RTS games :)

I think AOE3 is the best bet, havent plyed any of the other ones. BUT in the demo I cant rotate the camera!! :O

STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!STARCRAFT!

Brood War.

You should try Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends.

You should try Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends.

Ive played both of them. I guess the RTS market is a dry now. Ill have to wait a couple of months, anything to look forward to?

Dawn of War: Winter Assault is great (and out!).

I have high hopes for Dark Crusade.

Dawn of War: Winter Assault is great (and out!).

I have high hopes for Dark Crusade.

That looks really good! Il play the demo 2nite. Has it got all the resourceing, researching and things liek that??

DoW is good, If (like me) you care about gameplay and not fancy graphics might I reccomend Red Alert 1 (the best C&C game to date) or Ground Control?

That looks really good! Il play the demo 2nite. Has it got all the resourceing, researching and things liek that??

Yes although it is not a Starcraft clone. The resource system is rather different (more fun Id say, it places the focus on expansion and encourages conflicts early). The squad system is something I enjoyed a lot and its nice to be able to individualy upgrade squads to tailor them to a specific role.

AoE 3 is rather fun. Interesting multiplayer, if you can stop throwing up over hte design they used...makes Battle.Net look heavenly.

makes Battle.Net look heavenly.
Battle.net is heavenly minus Diablo 2 cuz then it is lagggggyyyyy.

Anyway I'd actually suggest replaying Starcraft and Brood Wars Campaign. That and DoW. I've only played the demo of DoW but it seemed pretty good.

Else go on Starcraft, go on Battle.net, then play some UMS games like Diplomacy, Civilization, Golems, Evolves, Zone Control, Dodge the Rapists, MTG Enigma\Magus, any one of the insane amount of RPG's, Quests Open RPG, any of the 100 RP maps, and any of the thousands of other types of maps I've failed to mention.

When Melee\TvB gets boring... UMS takes over.

Galactic Civilizations 2 / Civ IV / Rise of Nations / Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends / AoE 3

In that order, too.

.. or StarCraft, as some others have said, the UMS maps are incredibly fun.

Ill have to wait a couple of months, anything to look forward to?

Supreme commander. although it might not be coming out for a while now. but it sure is something to look forward to. I'm not even that big into RTS's but this game really turns my head.

video.google.com put in supreme commander.

I know you don't want this type of RTS, but it'll be extremely cheap now:

Comandos II

I just re-installed it recently and it's still a great game. Tough, but still great. The levels are some of the best looking renders I've seen in games, and the 3D indoor environments still look good.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/commandos2menofcourage/index.html

I can't get the videos or screenshots to work in Firefox for me, but they work in IE.

Comandos II

I just re-installed it recently and it's still a great game. Tough, but still great. The levels are some of the best looking renders I've seen in games, and the 3D indoor environments still look good.

I can't get the videos or screenshots to work in Firefox for me, but they work in IE.

Aye, I second the reccomedation of this game

Comandos II

qft, commandos 2 is awesome.

get starcraft instead! best rts ever made!

I have got Starcraft and yes its brilliant. IVe played it through and through and now Im lookin for summat different. DoW Winter Assualt is really good, but will I need the original game to play this?

Starcraft and Warcraft III

Even after you get past the regular RTS game there's TONS of custom maps out there to play. I even play the customs more than the regular game.

C&C Generals Zero Hour
7 Kingdoms
Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne........ WIT DA DOTA MOD :D :D :D :D

I got my mind set on DaW, could someone pleae tell me if I need to get DoW in order to play DoW: Winter Assault?? PLEASE

Also whats the maximum number of units u can have at anyone time? In the demo I could only have 20 after all the research Id done

I got my mind set on DaW, could someone please tell me if I need to get DoW in order to play DoW: Winter Assault?? PLEASE

As WA is only an expension you will need both. They should be relativly cheap to buy together now though. Of cource you can buy just the orignal and not the expension. Its just that the imperial guard is my favorite side of the five sides avalible :p

WarCraft 3 : Frozen Throne

The amount of UMS there are absolute insane, enough to keep you busy for a very long time. DoTA is the really big one, it's like a mini-CS for War3, and if I'm not mistaken there are a lot of competitive leagues adopting it with $$ prizes and whatnot. There's a bajillion Tower-Defense maps, a few oRPG (think a much smaller scale Diable 2 where you load your chars with specific codes tied to your username), and tons of other maps I couldn't be arsed to name . There's of course the normal game itself which is pretty fun, but I enjoy the UMS the most (mainly cause I'm not that good and multiplayer can get very cutthroat / competitive).

I'd recommend Battle For Middle Earth II. Download the demo and see if you like.

I have to say Galactic Civilizations 2.

dow is bloody fun.

they are also coming out with another exp that adds 2 more races to play. tau and necrons

I thought DoTA was Cut throat/competitive

Not in my experience. Generally on puplic games people tend to be fairly relaxed, but most cant stand leavers, laggers, n00bs (and i mean total n00bs, most people can get away with it) and people who lame excessivly.

The bet way to do it is to get a load of mates together to play, its great fun when you can.

Back