Need advices for new comp

Ti133700N

Tank
Reaction score
This is the "I'm gonna buy a new computer and I need help" thread. I will build it myself. This is what I think I'm gonna buy.

Code:
Connect 3D Radeon X850 XT Platinum 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express Dual DVI VIVO		$562.70 (with taxes)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor S939 Manchester 2Ghz 512KBX2 90NM Retail	$478.37
--THERMALTAKE XASER 3 V2000A 21IN ALUMINUM CASE 12BAYS NO P/S W/ WINDOW			--$206.67
THERMALTAKE TSUNAMI VA3000 ALUMINUM CASE NO PS BLACK W/ WINDOW				$143.75
I-ROCKS X-SLIM KR-6110 104 KEYS LOW PROFILE USB KEYBOARD W/ HOT KEYS			$32.25
DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 ULTRA-D MOTHERBOARD ATX S939 NFORCE4 ULTRA DDR			$180.88
CORSAIR TWINX1024-3200XLPT PC3200 2X512MB 2-2-2-5 W/ SILVER HEAT SPREADER		$272.46
--CORSAIR XMS TWINX PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-3-6 DIMM DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY KIT	--$416.97
--ULTRA X-CONNECT 500W ATX POWER SUPPLY W/ UV CABLE KIT HIGH-GLOSS BLUE			--$96.39
FORTRON FSP/SPI AX500-A 500W 24PIN BLUE STORM POWER SUPPLY W/ 120MM FAN RETAIL		$104.96
WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 74GB SATA 10000RPM 8MB 4.5MS HARD DRIVE 5YEARS MFR WARRANTY	$250.23
CREATIVE LABS SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 PCI 24-BIT OEM					$58.86
1.44MB BLACK 3.5IN FLOPPY DRIVE							 	$10.13

The items with the -- are alternatives.

Do you think I should buy 1GB of very good low latency RAM or 2GB at 2-3-3-6? Hum I think 2GB would be better since I do alot of modeling (renders etc.).

Oh and the most important thing, what I do with my comp is modeling, programming, photoshop, web design/coding, video editing, music, games... and often some of em at the same time (that's mainly why I want dual core).

Good stuff in the list. I wouldn't really change anything unless you wanted to go with the 2GB of memory. If you can afford it then why not.

Ok then if you say so I guess I'm gonna go with that. I haven't seen anybody around me who has Fortrons PSU but you mentioned that they are pretty good (in other threads) so I'll give it a try. I also think that I'm gonna buy 2GB of RAM since I heard many people find 1GB isn't enough for BF2 (well, that it would be alot better with 2GB), I hope it's true. But damn, all that stuff is expensive, I hope I can sell my old compu for at least 400$ (Athlon 2000+ and Volcano 7, KT3 Ultra, GF4Ti4200, 512MB, 40GB Maxtor).

Last edited:
i saw save up like 40 more bucks and get a 7800gtx or ati's new line

I actually have that Fortron. They are very stable and have good efficency. Review

im not quite sure on the price defference between a 3800 dual core and a 4200 dual core, but u might consider the 4200 if you have the funds, granted tho the 3800 is a pretty impressive processor.

jellydoughnut217 said:
im not quite sure on the price defference between a 3800 dual core and a 4200 dual core, but u might consider the 4200 if you have the funds, granted tho the 3800 is a pretty impressive processor.

There's a BIG price difference between them.

Big as in HUNDREDS.

bryanf445 said:
i saw save up like 40 more bucks and get a 7800gtx or ati's new line

The thing is that card is a super deal on tigerdirect. The normal price is $851.99, so it's a save of $379.00. The cheapest 7800GTX is the Leadtek at $688.99... Too much for me.

Ti133700N said:
The thing is that card is a super deal on tigerdirect. The normal price is $851.99, so it's a save of $379.00. The cheapest 7800GTX is the Leadtek at $688.99... Too much for me.

wtf were did u get that 688.99 is the cheapest u can get there is a msi for 475 on newegg o and Ti133700N shouldnt u go for more hardrive space?

Yep and I can't buy from newegg.
And no I don't need more disk space. But thanks for the comments. Actually the HD is the thing I'm 100% sure to buy, I've seen the raptor in action and I was really impressed.

Last edited:
idk how valid this information is but i read somewhere that the reason amd dual core processors are priced so high is because amd isnt producing many of them. Supply and demand i guess. But the article did say that soon they will start pushing dual core along with intel, and prices on both will drop. Anywho i have no idea how long that will be, so just stick with the 3800

Well, the only reason Intel's Dual Core CPUs are reaching that lower price range is because they are slower clocked models. AMD just doesn't have a 'slow' Dual Core model out.

AMD prices are actually really good. Getting 2 for more than double the price of one is expected. Look how much it would cost you to get into Dual CPUs? Registered memory, special board to fit that socket and the CPUs themselves are priced high. AMD's Dual Core is a bargin for getting 2 CPUs into a PC.

I just got done with our monthly Compusa meeting and they said will be selling AMD X2's from $250-400 price ranges. $250? AMD is probably coming out with a lower X2 model this month. ;)

I did some researches on the DFI board and alot of people are saying there are compatibility issues with corsair RAM. So I want to know if this is true or not. They suggested to use OCZ (wich I also like).

If I choose OCZ instead of Corsair, I'd have 2 choices:
OCZ EL PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 184PIN PIN DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY KIT /W RAMSINK : $355.27
and
OCZ PERFORMANCE PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL3-3-3-8 184PIN DIMM DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY KIT W/ RAMSINK : $447.25

What I don't understand is how the 2-3-2-5 can be cheaper than the 3-3-3-8? They are both the same except one is "PERFORMANCE". What does it mean? What's the difference between them? I will try to overclock a little but since 2GB might already be a little tough to overclock I don't expect tremendous results. What would you suggest to do?

I don't like to bump threads but I want to buy my comp this week so Id like to have some opinions about the RAM please. Thanks.

Ti133700N said:
I did some researches on the DFI board and alot of people are saying there are compatibility issues with corsair RAM. So I want to know if this is true or not. They suggested to use OCZ (wich I also like).

There are compatability issues when using Corsair ram, but only on the stock bios. Flashing it to the latest bios rev. will resolve the incompatability issues.

ok but to flash the bios i'll need a working computer... with working RAM? Or do I have to download the bios from another comp and then boot with the floppy to flash the bios? I personnaly have no preference between Corsair and OCZ. Wich one would you choose between those I mentioned?

Ti133700N said:
ok but to flash the bios i'll need a working computer... with working RAM? Or do I have to download the bios from another comp and then boot with the floppy to flash the bios? I personnaly have no preference between Corsair and OCZ. Wich one would you choose between those I mentioned?

Well, what I would do, is get the new bios ready on a floppy with the PC you're using now, so when you get the DFI board you can just flash it and get on with your life :p

Between Corsair and OCZ, i'd pick OCZ if you can and are willing to supply it the volts. Corsair is supposed to be some good and fast ram default, but OCZ is overclockers stuff.

Dunno, I really don't have any experience with Corsair. But i'm loving my OCZ sticks.

Back