Need FiOS information.

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
Alright, I know alot about fios, but I am lacking some of the most vital information.

It was finally allowed to be purchased in my neighborhood, and I need to know how it works once the fios is inside the house. It connects to the new FIOS modem... and is that able to communicate with current routers, or do I need any other special equipment?

I'm confused... cause it says this on the verizon website:

When you order Verizon FiOS, a Verizon professional will install your service. Installation is FREE for your primary computer if you sign up for a one year agreement, or the installation fee is $69.99 if you select a Month-to-Month or Bundle Discount plan. You will also be given the option of setting up additional computers during the initial installation for $75 each.

Which makes no sense. Why would I need the additional computers set up? In fact, why would I need even one computer set up? All they should have to do is set it up to my home, to the modem... and I should be able to run it through the router, then to my computers like normal... right?

EDIT2:

Hmm, got this info from the dslreports verizon fiber optics forum.

First, welcome to FiOS, it is great! But you do have some misunderstandings.

1) There is an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) that connects the fiber to your house. It gets its power from the Battery Backup Unit (BBU), so they are connected to each other. At my house the ONT is outside, the BBU is in the garage and connected to a non-GFCI outlet, and the connection between the BBU and the OLT is some cabling through the wall that Verizon installed. The BBU powers the ONT. But I understand that in some areas Verizon has started putting the ONT and BBU onto a board and are mounting both inside the house, in the basement perhaps (but we don't have many basements here, so I suspect you don't have one...), so your installation might be different.

2) There is no modem (the ONT kinda acts like a modem). From your question it appears that you are getting Internet access only, so you will have a CAT 5 cable from the ONT to the Verizon-supplied router, wherever you want that in your house. I recommend that you let the installers put in the new router and get stuff working, then if you want you can replace that router with your own if you really want. There would almost certainly be some configuration changes needed on your existing router to work with FiOS; when my FiOS was installed, I took the Verizon router, then hooked my wireless router to that and am still using that today, works just great, did not have to change one thing in my configuration.

Hope this helps, and have fun, I think you will like it.

<pulls out his hair>

I can't wait to have FiOS in my neighborhood, but I have no idea when Verizon is going to decide to expand up here. It took them 3-5 months just to get DSL on my side of the street.

Oh by the way, all I know is FiOS is lightning fast!

why do you need a router if you only have one computer? also one computer is needed to set up the router for it to work then once its set up then you can go back to the way you want it. also when you say 'Fios' do you mean fiber optic?

why do you need a router if you only have one computer? also one computer is needed to set up the router for it to work then once its set up then you can go back to the way you want it. also when you say 'Fios' do you mean fiber optic?

I have FOUR computers in this household... and two internet phones. I've become a master at working my router for this. I have two routers, one nested within the other, and the internet phones on another device.

As far as the wording "FiOS"... that's what it is called for verzion. Fiber Optic Service. And Fios is an irish word for knowledge apparently, according to wikipedia.

But I call fiber optic FIOS.

I guess it's like all fiber. It works just like a network so there nothing fancy about routers and stuff. Get a switch and it should be okay. Works for me and all my friends at least. But I'm not on FIOS but there shouldnt be anything special with it.

Back