Need help! URGENT!

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a new modem modem today. Got home, opened my computer took out the old one and put in the new. Now my computer won't start. I get this message.

Drive 4 not founds: Parallel ATA, PATA-0 (PRI IDE Master)
Drive 5 not founds: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE Slave)

When I go into a setup utility (which it prompts me to do) and look under 'System/Boot Sequence' I get this.

1. Onboard IDE Hard Drive (not present)
2. Onboard SATA Hard Drive (not present)
3. Onboard or USB Floppy Drive
4. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive (not present)
5. USB Device (not present)

Please help, I have to leave in half an hour and I don't want to have to do that without solving this.

Edit: I have discovered that Drive 4: PATA-0 and Drive 5: PATA-1 in 'Drives' are set to on while all the other are set to off. Should I turn them off?

Ok, chill. whats happening is the motherboard isn't seeing your hard drives, its not uncommon. Best first thing to do is reseat the IDE cable. Simply open the PC, unplug the IDE cable from the motherboard and plug it back in. Close the PC, start PC.

Er...I had a look at the IDE cables (I only knew which they were from GIS) and they seemed fairly well stuck in. I don't want to try and force them. My brother thinks it's something to do with static electricity. Also, I turned on all the drives and I get the same message from all of them when I did.

I didn't say force them in. I said take them out and then put them back in. Just my advise, take it or leave it.

I mean I'm nervous about pulling them out because they look stuck in and I'm afraid to break them by pulling them. And also why would taking them out and putting them back in do anything turning on and off the computer wouldn't?

Becuase if just one pin isn't making a proper connection, the motherboard won't see anything on the ribbon.

Don't worry about pulling the cable out, its designed to unplug. It takes a bit of pulling, but it won't damage anything.

OK thanks, I'll try that so.

Edit: Thanks Link, your a God.

Unplug your new modem and retry it. If it then works, you have a conflict somewhere (and a nasty one at that). I sometimes get these errors on IDE drives, just reconnecting can help, but not had the problem on SATA.

If the reseating didn't work go into BIOS and load failsafe defaults.

Back