Need help with Thermal Glue

ktimekiller

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Im in need of new thermal glue, my pc is about 5-6 years old, and my guess is all my thermal glue burnt off, because each day does by, the heat gets higher, and this has been happening for a couple years. Slowly my pc is starting to get unusable due to its running temp or 80+ degrees, and its resting temp of 60+ when the pc is on.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6321946&st=thermal+glue&type=product&id=1075583463530

Is this the kind of thermal glue im searching for? the kind that goes directly to the cpu or processor. Any precautions? any tips? and $10 good price for it?

$10 is a pretty standard price.

Also, it's not glue, it's compound :p [edit] Basically, it's a paste compound designed to move heat energy from the CPU to the heatsink. It transfers heat much, much quicker than air. While the heatsink and the CPU do physically touch without the compound present, neither surface is perfectly smooth, so there are hundreds, if not thousands, of small air pockets between the two. The compound fills these spaces, helping to transfer heat away from the CPU many times faster.

ALSO also, when you're replacing thermal compound, do this:

- Remove the heatsink from the CPU.
- Use a plastic card to remove the thermal compound from the CPU and the heatsink. Do NOT use a dry cloth (unless it's a lint-free cloth, like the kind you use to clean glasses), as the fibers can scratch the CPU or the heatsink, reducing the heat transfer and thereby making your CPU run hotter.
- Put a small amount of rubbing alcohol on both surfaces, let sit for a minute, then remove with said card/lint-free cloth. This helps clean the old compound out of the tiny crevices in each surface.
- Apply a small amount of new compound to the CPU die. An amount about the size of a grain of dry rice should suffice. Place it in the center, but DO NOT SPREAD IT YET.
- Put the CPU back in the motherboard.
- Install the heatsink. Make sure not to move the heatsink across the CPU surface, or the new compound will smear and possibly create small air bubbles, vastly reducing the cooling ability and possibly causing a small area of your CPU to melt, ruining everything.

I think that should be right. Make sure someone corrects me before doing the above :p

Well, before I do anything, im definately going to read a guide or something with pictures.

umm its best to remove the paste if there is any with a swab and alcohol. i would go by arctic silvers instructions like asus said just to be safe.

So you put a really tiny amount on? Why doesn't it follow the 'more the merrier' rule?

The metal touching metal transfers heat faster than the grease which you use to fill in the air pockets. If you put too much thermal compound than intead of just filling air pockets you are making the metal surfaces farther apart. Which means your CPU over heats.

Haha, when I read the thread title I imagined you having to type it out with your nose / toes.

arctic silver 5 compound is the best thermal compound that most overclockers use on their cpus....and its only like 7 bucks on newegg, id go for that.

Back