net_graph explanation request

JBrown03

Reaction score
Could someone in the know, do the honors and explain to me what the different elements of the two attached net_graph screenshots.

I understand:
- fps
- ping
- in
- out

It's just the graph itself that I am not sure about. Specifically could someone explain the meaning of the colours and the values on the graph.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 304
FPS simply means Frames Per Second, is just that, how many frames per second you are getting in the game. Ping is simply how long it takes for you to send out a signal, and the server to resend that signal back to you. I, as you are, am still wondering what the in and out part means.

JBrown03 said:
I understand:
- fps
- ping
- in
- out

FPS simply means Frames Per Second, is just that, how many frames per second you are getting in the game. Ping is simply how long it takes for you to send out a signal, and the server to resend that signal back to you. I, as you are, am still wondering what the in and out part means.

Oxy: read his post :p

Oxygenetic said:

Thanks for that. That;s the bits I understand! :)

The little coloured graphs are just like a visual aid to the in/out statistics. So basically the graph isn't even worth putting on because you can just read off the in/out bit's.

Hope that helps a little.

Indeed, they are a history of the in and out data, but they include more than just that. Each bar on the graph is made up of different colours, each presumably showing where the total time is being made up. What I am really asking for is what the different colors relate to.

I disagree that the graph is not useful to show. I would in fact argue that it is all but useless without the graph. You will not be able to look at the in and out values while you are in the middle of a fire fight, and that is when the values are most useful. It is at these times that you need to see what the lag is doing, and where is it being made up.

Any further help would be appreciated.

all that matters is the FPS and the ping and maybe the choke, everything else is pretty worthless.

I just use cl_showfps in HL because net_grapg actually lowers your FPS cause your processor is taking time making graphs and stuff insntead of runnign the game.

Then run net_graph 3. It only shows in/out&ping/fps/connection speed. Also, I've heard it's the other way around. cl_showfps takes up more power for some reason. Strange.

im pretty sure net_graph takes up more power, but i dont tihnk niether one takes very much away. If you are having really crappy FPS though you should probably turn them both off, cause seeing your FPS going to 12 aint really worth much since you can tell that already as your game now looks like a slideshow

BrownTown said:
all that matters is the FPS and the ping and maybe the choke, everything else is pretty worthless.

I just use cl_showfps in HL because net_grapg actually lowers your FPS cause your processor is taking time making graphs and stuff insntead of runnign the game.

I'm not sure that anyone's understanding why I am asking this. The graph shows your ping over time, but it breaks down the ping into the parts that make it up.

If you look in the two graphs I have posted, you will see that there are peaks (around action). If you were to know what made up the lag, you might be able to change some client side settings to minimise it.

The in/out stats are used to monitor packet data being sent to and from the host computer. Your cl_rate, cl_cmdupdate, cl_updaterate, etc (Don't quote me on those commands, I don't remember them off the top of my head, but will look them up if someone needs them) have various effects on the numbers seen on the in/out statistics. Alot of the network settings depend on what you select as your net speed in the options, and which ones you can tweak to give you optimal performance. Whatever settings give you consistent zeros in Loss and Choke are the ones you want to keep.

I think what Mr. Brown is asking for is an explanation of the colors in the graph. I would think that they represent what a the engine considers as a "normal" response time is green, where there is a somewhat longer delay blue, and where the ping may seriously affect gameplay red. But then again, I am not able to post a picture of where I got that info from, this forum does not allow those types of pictures (and they shouldn't be in sprays either!)

i always though the graphs were like e_poly and w_poly and sprites and stuff like that since they move around wether or not you are connected to the internet.

Back