New Arrival

NYTWP

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I've been lurking here for some time, but have only been a member since yesterday. My art skills aren't anything to brag about, and I'm almost sure that I'll be laughed out of here but here's a picture of myself as Gordon, as well as a crowbar prop that I just painted. I need to go outside and throw it around to give it some chips. Some other props that I'll be working on include a protective (albeit low-tech) H.E.V. suit, and portal gun prop.

(..yes, those are my real glasses and goatee.)
TheRealFreeman.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

Pretty nice 'shop though I don't really care for that filter.

And why oh why do you have a gauge in your ear.

Pretty nice 'shop though I don't really care for that filter.

And why oh why do you have a gauge in your ear.

Thanks, man.

The gauges are mine; 1/2" in each. I could have chopped them out, but I figured they would add to the 'real world' Gordon. In the time that I spent working at Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, I saw many scientists with all sorts of piercings and tattoos.

I know that, and I'm saying, why oh why do you have gauges!?

I know that, and I'm saying, why oh why do you have gauges!?

I was born with uneven, asymmetrical ears. The gauges help with the symmetry until I can afford an otoplasty procedure.

Why oh why do you care about the symmetricalness of your ears so much?

Yeah, just kill a few random Headcrabs which are lying around. Should make it look somewhat more real :p

Got to make it indestructible so if you hit a Hunter Chopper with it, it won't dent at all.

The gauges aren't 'Gordon' but I like them at least :p Good work. Now go scratch up and blooden that crowbar :D

Thanks, man. I'm in process of sanding the black paint off of the ends, so once I get that chore done, I'll have to spatter some blood on there.

Yeah, just kill a few random Headcrabs which are lying around. Should make it look somewhat more real :p

Got to make it indestructible so if you hit a Hunter Chopper with it, it won't dent at all.

No kidding! I'd love to make my own headcrab hats but I don't think bludgeoning them to death will help keep the shape. :cheese:

This is more like it.. two hours of rotary sanding.

IMG_0621.jpg

Umm... was there an image there because I just don't see it...

Unless he meant the slash to represent the crowbar... in which case, it looks really good :D

Nice. I want one myself but i'm sure i wouldn't look at it after a while. I already have too much random (non-artistic) junk.

^ it's even easier than what you think...

*goes into statis*

oh and why is there a black mesa logo on the HEV suit?

^ it's even easier than what you think...

*goes into statis*

oh and why is there a black mesa logo on the HEV suit?

I think the Black Mesa would be a bit more appropriate. Lambda Core was only a small section of BMRF, why stick it on all of their H.E.V. suits?

because their scientists invented the suit?
not sure about that though, I'm just saying that 'cause all the HEV suits have a lambda logo sticked to them.

Still, the pic looks awesome. :thumbs:
any chance you could put a picture without filters?

because their scientists invented the suit?
not sure about that though, I'm just saying that 'cause all the HEV suits have a lambda logo sticked to them.

Could be, I figured it was just an oversight on Valve's end.

Still, the pic looks awesome. :thumbs:
any chance you could put a picture without filters?

No problem, I'm working on a new one in color, so that will be up shortly.

how do you intend to make the hev suit and portal device.

I ve been thinking about making the portal device prop. Might use vacuforming to make it.

how do you intend to make the hev suit and portal device.

I ve been thinking about making the portal device prop. Might use vacuforming to make it.

Well, from what I've drafted so thus far, the undersuit will be your standard neoprene wetsuit. Provides insulation, buoyancy, protection against exposure, oil and chemicals, resistance to heat and abrasions. I have to weld the mantle together but I reckon I'll be using 2mm steel or aluminum and will then mold either fiberglass or carbon fiber to either side to deter warping. The arm and leg fittings will be molded from high-impact ABS. Within the chest piece I'm going to add a flashlight and possibly a chemical cooling system, possibly a CamelBak hydration unit. From under the mantle down to the crotch area will be a layer of duPont Kevlar.

..as for the portal gun, vacuforming would definitely work, however, I've got a vacuum cleaner here that looks like I may be able to cannibalize the parts with a little work.

Well, from what I've drafted so thus far, the undersuit will be your standard neoprene wetsuit. Provides insulation, buoyancy, protection against exposure, oil and chemicals, resistance to heat and abrasions. I have to weld the mantle together but I reckon I'll be using 2mm steel or aluminum and will then mold either fiberglass or carbon fiber to either side to deter warping. The arm and leg fittings will be molded from high-impact ABS. Within the chest piece I'm going to add a flashlight and possibly a chemical cooling system, possibly a CamelBak hydration unit. From under the mantle down to the crotch area will be a layer of duPont Kevlar.

..as for the portal gun, vacuforming would definitely work, however, I've got a vacuum cleaner here that looks like I may be able to cannibalize the parts with a little work.

I'm actually planning to do something similar - an HEV suit with actual defense/protection capabilities. I recently acquired a Safariland level IIIA Kevlar vest on Ebay; I'm going to remove the kevlar fabric from the carrier and incorporate it into the suit. Doing some preliminary research into radiation resistance as well. I don't think morphine-injection systems are in the cards, however. :)

I, too, was going to begin with a wetsuit as the 'base'.

Wow, hey man. Thanks for those links! Those will definitely help. It's good to hear that you're working on it too. Makes me feel a little less stupid. :E

Back