New ATI x800 Pro 256 MB

T

tobbyluki

Ok....today I put in the new vid card with the drivers that came in the package...fps seem low (dipping into 40's more than with my old Ti 4200 128 MB)

Any ideas?
Better driver package somewhere?

Hum... I would go to ATI's website and download the new drivers along with thier new console thing (if you had the 20 tabs in your advanced display settings). I have the same thing so I'm not sure if its definately the video card, could be too many backgroud programs running or not enough ram, etc.

Well, Im kind of wondering if there's a better package, like the "detonators" for NVidia....I am checking their website now, looking for gaming specific drivers.....:S

Btw, atomicspark.....whats ur typical FPS???

~~~> | P4 3.2 | Sapphire x800 Pro | 1 x 1024MB Corsair |

was it installed on a fresh format? or was it just replaced? reason i'm askin is there could still be remnants of your old vid card drivers. Do a search for driver cleaner...

I know a guy who gets roughly 70fps avg with his x800....check drivers and backround software. Clean up that hard drive, defrag. Or go all the way and reformat.....makes new hardware run like butter.

well one thing you do wanna make sure of is that if you have an on-board video card, you want to disable that. if your not sure how just:

right click My Computer
click the Hardware tab at the top
then look for Device Manager and click it
then once your in there, check to see if your on-board video cards name is in there. if it is just right click and disable it

if you dont have an on-board card then nm but i guess it could work even if you dont have one so just make sure you have no drivers from any previous video card (using the above method)

I have found that ATI catalyst 5.1 drivers run better on hl2 an css then the newest 5.2. check out hardocp they did a review on it

You should format whenever you install a new card. Sometimes even cleaning all the old drivers out doesnt fix it.

yea right now im using the 5.1 cats.

1280x960 4xaa 16xaf

72-184fps.

tobbyluki said:
Ok....today I put in the new vid card with the drivers that came in the package...fps seem low (dipping into 40's more than with my old Ti 4200 128 MB)

Any ideas?

yeh I'm getting the same thing I got a new XT800XT PE and I dip below 40 aswel.

did u guys have nvidia cards before? if ya did, you should use driver cleaner or reformat. tahts what i usually do.

before my 6800gt@ ULTRA speeds got 109fps in teh stress test.

6800gt@ULTRA 1280x960 2xaa 8xaf =109 fps

x800xt@STOCK 1280x960 4xaa 16xaf -137fps

If you got a old or intergrated sound card that may lower fps and not let it go to the maximum fps rate. I got a bad soundcard and i got radeon 9600 xt 128 mb 768 mb ram and i get like 20-40 fps most likely because of my soundcard.

tobbyluki said:

Any ideas?

Since your old gfx card was a nvidia, make sure you clean out the old drivers, restart, install new ATi driveres, restart.

This is so that you clean out the old nvidia driver. Then after the restart, it uses windows "generic" video driver. Then you would install the ATi drivers for a clean install.

Homie said:
If you got a old or intergrated sound card that may lower fps and not let it go to the maximum fps rate. I got a bad soundcard and i got radeon 9600 xt 128 mb 768 mb ram and i get like 20-40 fps most likely because of my soundcard.

any integrated parts will use the CPU to proccess the info which causes lower fps. Unless your mobo as an "extra" chip to prccoess that info (eg. on-borad gfx chip.)

also when u boot, push the button that takes u to the special screen and somewhere it will say gfx card mb or something like that and your computer could be thinking u have a 128 mb card instead of 256. So just change it. I know that was very unspecific but I did that with my 9800XT and got a 40 fps boost plus i can max out every setting

For Reference I have 1600X1200 2XAA and TripleB AF at >100fps... My sound is whatevers on board an A8V MB.

AA is the key... Recommneded comes up at 4X... Horrible FPS even with my setup. Dropping to 2X boosts FPS big time. I don't know why but that's what I got.

MilkMan12 said:
also when u boot, push the button that takes u to the special screen and somewhere it will say gfx card mb or something like that and your computer could be thinking u have a 128 mb card instead of 256. So just change it. I know that was very unspecific but I did that with my 9800XT and got a 40 fps boost plus i can max out every setting

You mean the BIOS. That is actually not to tell the system how much memory the gfx card has, but how much memory you want to use from your system after the on-board memory gets too low.

here is a link to more technical info: http://www.ocfaq.com/article.php/overclocking/vidcard/43

now AGP aperture size is not the same technology ATi and nVidia are releasing to use your system memory for part of the cards memory.

*edit*
whoops...it doesnt allocate it up front, but in 4k internvals, my mistake.

WOW i have that same card and i have everything up on max and i get 140 fps (and remember its not just the graphics card that gives you good frames, its the entire computer) :D

JeanPaul said:
WOW i have that same card and i have everything up on max and i get 140 fps (and remember its not just the graphics card that gives you good frames, its the entire computer) :D

Yes, and to be more in depth, since HL2 uses lots of physics in the game, it needs lots of CPU power. gfx cards today cannot compute these kinds of equations. seeing that you have a top of the line gfx card, your CPU is most likely your bottle neck.

Back