New build not running nearly how it should.

Vigilante

Reaction score
Hi all. I just assembled my new computer today consisting of:

E6750 C2D
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Motherboard
4 gigs XMS2 ram
eVGA Geforce 8800GTS G92 core
250gig SATA hard drive
550 watt Antec PSU wit 30A on the +12v rail
Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Long story short, it's not doing nearly what it should. The system is running stably, but like crap. Regular desktop browsing is fine, but in games it sucks. Crysis is a complete slideshow at 1024x768 on high detail, and this thing should run it like butter on those settings. What could be possibly culprits? Vista? Should I maybe downgrade to XP pro for a while (even though I'll loose a gig of ram to that)?

My OS is completely updated, I installed the latest nvidia drivers, all of the motherboard drivers are installed and fine. I'm currently downloading 3dmark06 to see what I get, which will be crappy. Thanks for help...I need to know where to begin looking.

Check in your BIOS to see whether or not your PCI-E slot is running at 16x.

Would you mind attaching your DX diag so I can take a look at it?

Check in your BIOS to see whether or not your PCI-E slot is running at 16x.

I remembered this being mentioned and looked in my bios, but the only option for adjusting the PCI express slots is a "PCI Express Frequency" option and I have it set to auto, which is 100MHz.

I attached the dxdiag file. I'm updating directX and then I'll recheck my bios. Thanks for the responses. I'm tempted to go back to XP Pro...but I'm gonna head to bed soon. QQ

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    22.4 KB · Views: 284
Make sure the 3D settings in your Nvidia control panel are set to "Application Controlled" for the global settings and the the rest of the settings are correct based on your setup.

Make sure the 3D settings in your Nvidia control panel are set to "Application Controlled" for the global settings and the the rest of the settings are correct based on your setup.

Already got that set =/. Thanks though. What's the speed on a pci express x16 slot? I have it set to auto which defaults to 100mhz but I can go up to 150.

EDIT: WOOT! Got it figured out. Turns out I had "HPET" set to 32 bit in my bios instead of 64. Dunno what it does but it fixed my problem. /glee

So the 6pin power is plugged into the GPU?

Try a different game too...something you know should run well. Like something using Source. :)

Yeah, I can't really think of much at the moment outside of rechecking your hardware connections. Perhaps you could try the 169.25 drivers instead of the 169.28 Betas.

EDIT: Ah, HPET. It's quite easy to get lost in BIOS settings these days. Glad you figured it out.

Just scored a 12,000 in 3dmark06. Time for some overclocking. What is HPET, anyway?

Anybody here have any experience with rivatuner? Right now I'm getting about 12,000 in 3dmark 06 with my CPU at 2.8 GHz and the GPU stock. I want to get up to 14,000. For some reason, Rivatuner doesn't give me the option to overclock. Could it be that I'm running Vista Ultimate X64 on the newester drivers? My only options under customize are low level refresh rate settings, low level desktop color schemes, and graphics subsystem diagnostic report.

Okay this damn computer has me baffled again. I got it running great, so I started playing around with CPU overclocking, scored an 11,900..bump my CPU to 2.85 from 2.8GHz to see if that'll break 12k...and it starts performing choppy like it did last night. I reset everything in the bios, HPET is good...wtf? I'm so confused.

So XP is telling me this

lol-1.jpg

Which Vista never told me. I guess overclocking my CPU that last bit sent it over the edge. *Goes to bestbuy to buy a new PSU*

I have similiar specs and run all Crysis settings on very high but shaders. So if you get everything working it should work really well on high.

When OCing, did you not lock the PCI-Express bus to 100MHz? Otherwise it just keeps going up as you increase the FSB. Same with the PCI bus (yay for corrupt hard drive data).

Make sure you didn't accidentally ram your penis into the floppy drive.

Make sure you didn't accidentally ram your penis into the floppy drive.

Yeah, that was the problem. Ur so gud...u be mah fren k?

Actually, a I got a shiny new (and ****ing expensive) 800W BFG PSU at bestbuy and it solved my problem.

I'm not sure why you would need an 800W PSU for a single card. Even overclocked, my 8800GT does just fine along with my Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and two hard drives, and my PSU is only at 600W.

I didn't...I went overkill. I was using an Antec True Power 550W w/ 30A on the +12v but it wasn't enough I guess. It was two years old and didn't have any PCI express adapters so I had to use the adapter which turns two molex into a pci express jack.

You make me want to cry now. Antec are bad just as bad as thermalcrap.

I have a 500 w Antec . It was either that or Big Dog brand, or whatever. I was shopping locally, and I wanted something immediately so I got the antec.

Could I have a similar problem to Vigilante I wonder?

I have an ATI card, and I'm assuming ATI doesn't have the warning, but it might have the same feature of reducing performance.

see I have 4 hard drives, 2 DVD drives, like 12 case fans, a lighted keyboard, a mouse, and a gamepad (with lights) pluged into mine. Maybe it is too much draw for this Powersupply.

What brand of powersupply is the best value for the performance?

also, if uve been isntalling drivers and uninstalling, Clear out ur drivers properly with drivercleaner.

uhmmm. ur score went down cos ur CPU wasnt Stable. Run prime95, if it goes for 6 hours with no faults on torture test, your good to go.

Tho u mgiht want to monitor temps :p as torture test will rape ur cpu :p

Back