New Combine Radio "chirp"

W

Willshire

I know this is specific and somewhat technical, but any input is appreciated.

I always like the radio chirp in HL2 and Episode 1, along with the combine radio chatter and overwatch speeches. The chirp reminds me of the motorola radio chirp, and even sounds like a modified one (http://files.filefront.com/off2+modwav/;9424128;/fileinfo.html) with the sound file's pitch increased 29 percent.

When episode 2 came along I remember seeing the bridge with all the combine heading to White Forest with the combine overwatch dispatcher voice modified, and the new radio chirp when I fought the combine. They all use the same sound files, they just convert them on the fly. So I tried looking for the sound files in the sourcesounds.gcf and looks like they may be using Sonic Batch Converter 5 scripts (with the suffix .bcs at root\hl2\sound\vo\batch converters)something I obviously don't have or can afford.

I'm not sure if that's even the right place I should be looking at, anyone have a clue to what they're doing with the old sound files? And what's a good program that I can use to look at the .bcs files?

Adobe Batch Converter 2.0 is what Valve used, but that's not too easy to get your hands on nowadays.

Back