new computer questions

Hapless

Reaction score
I'm considering getting an eMachines T6520, which has an Athlon 64 3400 in it as well as a gig of RAM and 200 gig HD, on an ATI RS480 chipset with integrated graphics. It also has Windows Media Center Edition 2005 installed. I would drop a PCI-e vid card in it as well as an Audigy 2 ZS sound card. The system sells for $599 after mail-in rebate (of course). I have some computer knowledge, but not much when it comes to differences in CPU's and whatnot.

Questions I have are:

1. What advantages does the Athlon 64 have over Pentium 4 and Athlon XP?

2. Does the fact that the clock speed of the CPU is around 2.0 ghz mean anything?

3. Are Athlon 64's good for gaming?

4. Is Windows MCE good for gaming?

5. How much of a performance leap will I see compared with my current system? My current system is an eMachines with an Athlon XP 2200 (1.8 ghz), 640 MB of RAM, a Radeon 9800 Pro and an Audigy 2 ZS, running on Win XP Home Edition.

Yes, I am cheap.

1. The athlon 64 features an on die memory controller that reduces latency and provides much mone bandwidth then a P4,XP, it also supports 64 bit, runs cooler just to name a few.

2. Yes that is the clockspeed of the processor :). It really doesnt mean much though as the A64 has a shorter pipeline then the P4 so it takes less time to refill its pipeline in case of a wrong branch prediction. An A64 at 2Ghz will be like a P4 at 3.4 Ghz!

3. Yes because of its on die memory controller the A64 is the fastest type of processor for gaming.

4. WMC is slower for gaming then windows XP/XP:p but you probably wont notice the difference.

5. Lots! As long as you get a decent GFX card (hopefully a 6800gt or X800XL).

1. Faster for gaming.
2. Yea, it means it goes at 2Ghz. Ok I guess you meant why is it only going at 2Ghz while P4 can go up to something like 3.2, Athlons do more calculations per clock cycle so no it's not "slower".
3. Yes
4. It's not meant for gaming, I tried it and I didn't like it. Not a big difference between XP Home but I obviously prefer XP Pro.
5. If you're talking about gaming performance, what has the most impact is the vid card. So as long as you don't tell us what gfx card you want to put in the system we can't tell you the diference.

Id personnaly build a system myself and buy the stuff I really want instead of that kind of "kit".

Actually I'm looking into the 6600 GT. Like I said, I'm cheap. As I understand it, the Radeon X--- series aren't capable of certain Directx 9.0c functionality, correct? Or at least don't do it as well?

Another question I have is will a system like this last for awhile? I'm looking toward Unreal Engine 3.0 and other game tech like that coming out and thinking to myself that my current system is going to be obsolete REAL quick.

I've looked into building a system, but it would cost me more to do that. My eMachines I have now has been mongrelized to death and hasn't let me down yet.

No the Radeon X series don't have Pixel Shader 3. This is used for things like HDR(High Dynamic Range). Very few games even use HDR right now so....it dosn't entirley matter.
The only game that uses HDR nicely off hand I believe is Splinter Cell 3. Farcry used it crap... and those are the only 2 games I know off hand that are using it.

The lost coast levels will use HDR BUT, there is a "low and high". High is for PS3 and low is for cards that use something less than PS3.

If you get a decent gfx card, then that system will be good. A 6600gt will be good for gaming and because the pc is coming prebuilt, I would look into what effect putting a new gfx card in would have on the warrenty, if you are purchasing a warrenty with it or if one comes with it as part of the package.

Back