New Computer

DreamThrall

Reaction score
Okay, as I mentioned in some other threads, I'm designing a new computer. The idea for this is to be as kick-ass as possible and keep it at or under $5000. So here it goes:

Case: Lian-Li PC-65B
Power: Antec TRUEPOWERII 550W
Mobo: MSI K8N Diamond Plus (out of box OEM)
Proc: AMD FX-60
Cooling: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
RAM: CORSAIR XMS 2x 1GB PC 400 CAS 2.0
HDD: WD Caviar 320 GB SATA 3.0 x3
GPU: eVGA Geforce 7900GTX 512 MB x2
Monitors: Acer 24" LCD Widescreen x2 :)dork:)
Sound Card: SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum (from my existing system)
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500
WiFi: D-Link DWL-AG530
Keyboard: MS Natural 4000
Mouse: MS Trackball Explorer (from my existing system - I can't find these things anywhere, but I love it!!!)

Other cables and misc crap. NewEgg wishlist Link!

Total cost before shipping is $4,799.25.

I'll be using this computer for gaming and .NET development. Comments, please!

Don't you think you should take AM2 and with that DDR2 memory?

The Brick said:

Its 2x1GB and 2x512MB modules, so yes, I can.

NoNe said:
Don't you think you should take AM2 and with that DDR2 memory?

NewEgg doesn't even carry the FX62 yet, and its another $400 on tigerdirect. From what I've heard, its really not a whole lot faster than what I've got here. At least, not $400 faster. Plus, I'd rather have proven technology.

If you want to use all 4 sticks then just be careful that they are Single sided sticks and not Double sided. If you have 4 single sided sticks it will run at DDR400. If you have 4 double sided sticks then it will run at DDR333.

Asus said:
If you want to use all 4 sticks then just be careful that they are Single sided sticks and not Double sided. If you have 4 single sided sticks it will run at DDR400. If you have 4 double sided sticks then it will run at DDR333.

Also, XP 32-bit can't use 4gb of ram anyway.......

And why would you buy a socket 939 computer now.....got socket AM2 and get an FX-62 or something....

Asus has returned to his domain! Haven't seen you around this forum in awhile........

hungryduck said:
Also, XP 32-bit can't use 4gb of ram anyway.......

And why would you buy a socket 939 computer now.....got socket AM2 and get an FX-62 or something....

It can, and I've only specified 3 GB up there, but I keep reading about what a hassle it is to have more than 2GB and get it work right, not to mention how little a performance boost it is, so I might just stick with 2 GB.

I explained in my post before Asus's why I'm not bothering with AM2 for this.

EDIT: I've edited my OP to reflect 2 GB ram.

looks down at my computer. So...where again do you live and what time are you not home? 8D

Euch, those dual graphics cards are such a gimmick. I have my reservations about sli with 2 cards, let alone 4 !!!

All I have to say on this is that: Don't mess with open-Box items especially MBs, And better get Thermaltake Full cases, that case doesn't have enough fans and you will have hell of time installing $5000.00 worth of components in there. About the 3GB memory issue I agree with the guys XP supports 2GB Max, and most MB support 2GB ddr400 and 3GB ddr333 check and see MB specifications at MSI site just to be on the save side.

Good Luck.

Sanada said:
TBH, I don't really know. I'm not too knowledgeable on SLi. I have seen them on another site and it says they're SLi ready so I can only assume yes.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/7950_Series.html

They are a bit overkill, but it's your money. :)

overclockes.co.uk said:
Quad SLI support will be provided through a future NVIDIA ForceWare driver release.

Looks like it would cheaper to get one of these than 2 separate cards though

EDIT: The core clock on the 7950s are 150 mhz slower than the single cards... what's up with that?

I crap my pants, I really wish I were the one who started this thread :D
I have a few complaints about your setup though, choose the AMD 64 X2 4800+ instead of the overrated and expensive FX processor. Sell your current soundcard and buy yourself an X-Fi XtremeMusic, not only will your games look incredible but they must sound sick too. The X-Fi together with your Logitech Z-5500 will give you a whole new dimension in games.

Stupid question, why on earth do you use a trackball mouse?

Garfield_ said:
choose the AMD 64 X2 4800+ instead of the overrated and expensive FX processor.

I'll consider it. Any other thoughts on this?

Sell your current soundcard and buy yourself an X-Fi XtremeMusic
Well, I also like to do some amateur music recording, so I like having the interface with all the extra inputs/outputs. I really don't feel like shelling out $300 just for the fatal1ty or whatever its called now.

Stupid question, why on earth do you use a trackball mouse?
I love it. Well, this one in particular - the ball itself is huge, and its placed so that you use your middle and ring fingers to move the ball rather than your thumb. Its exponentially more comfortable and precise than any mouse I've used. Read some of the reviews on that amazon link I have in my OP.

I have 21.3" LCD and it ghosts a little. You must understand the larger the screen the more ghosting get 17-19 Inches.

Barney Fife said:
I have 21.3" LCD and it ghosts a little. You must understand the larger the screen the more ghosting get 17-19 Inches.

Dunno, there are at least a dozen reviews for that monitor on NewEgg that say no ghosting.

I'm telling you man, if you intent to use this monitor for gaming, especially FPS gaming, Especially FPS MP gaming, you better get smaller screen as this screen will, and it will give you freaking headache and poor frames with lots of mayhem and ghosting. Just read the 'Con' section of the reviews, you will see couple guys mentioning something similar about it.

Remember me when you buy this and play Counter Strike.

I don't really play FPSs much anymore. And with a screen that big, if your face is too close to it, yeah, it'll give you a headache. You aren't supposed to put it as close as a normal monitor.

I have a 20 inch viewsonic VP201s, and there is not a trace of ghosting. Perfect picture, pin sharp, no headaches whatsoever. There are plenty of tft's out there capable of delivering this kind of quality !!

3ssence said:
I have a 20 inch viewsonic VP201s, and there is not a trace of ghosting. Perfect picture, pin sharp, no headaches whatsoever. There are plenty of tft's out there capable of delivering this kind of quality !!

Mostly you won't notice much ghosting up to 21" but above that is where people start to cry out ghosts.

Hmm, maybe i should get myself a nice 24 inch widescreen, just to check you understand

:E

3ssence said:
Hmm, maybe i should get myself a nice 24 inch widescreen, just to check you understand

Well, I guess if you're only checking.... :thumbs:

3ssence said:

:E

Go check yourself you pervert. :smoking:

Back