New Concept Art from Valve Artist, Andrea Wicklund

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
For an upcoming workshop by Massive Black, Valve concept artist Andrea Wicklund is featured as one of the artists appearing at the event. Her profile shows some familiar pieces of Chell and the Lab Ratt Portal comic but two novel pieces include variants of Rochelle from Left 4 Dead 2 and an Aperture test subject, a proposed model for the co-op part of Portal 2 before Atlas and P-Body.
wicklund-5.jpg
wicklund-4.jpg

Wait wait wait -

But her real claim to fame lies on the box art of the Left4Dead series — Andrea’s hand is “the hand,” which has surely scared many, many children.

I did not know this. That's pretty interesting.

oh, when they mentioned ''the hand'', i thought they were talking about zoey's weird hand on the cover of the no mercy poster.

thought they were acknowledging the mistake :(

Weren't those mistakes and character appearance inconsistencies included on purpose, in order to make them look like kitsch splatter film posters?

i did originally think that, but i can't think of any examples that might of been used as inspiration. the prints do a great job in recreating the atmosphere and cheesiness of a b-movie horror, but were illustration mistakes like that really all that evident in such? as far as i'm aware, the zoey's hand thing is the only technical mistake in the entire series across two games, which is a little jarring to me.

Yes, it does look bizarre. Perhaps they thought it was worth keeping just for that reason; perhaps many people in the community like it that way.

Back