New Concept Art Piece??? or Source render, Touched up to look like it?

clarky003

Tank
Reaction score
I know this is probably sad, (but I didnt have much to do).. Put it as you desktop , Stretched.. . sit back... and look for a while

Pretty stuff,, yup. but concept art. ? looking closely it looks to have perfect geometry.. infact if you can imagine the image sharper . like the E3 vids or other pics.. then would you say thats concept art??? or are we made to belive that it is?? im sure its bordering.. but I belive its a render using Source, at a 3rd person view.. cud be wrong. ..:) :angel:

That was exactly what I thought. It appears to be a direct screen render from the engine, but nooooo... everyone shoots me down and says it's "concept art"... when I know that people don't render concept art... they draw it! So, either I don't know wtf I'm talking about, or they haven't a clue what the term "concept art" applies to.

Sandman said:
That was exactly what I thought. It appears to be a direct screen render from the engine, but nooooo... everyone shoots me down and says it's "concept art"... when I know that people don't render concept art... they draw it! So, either I don't know wtf I'm talking about, or they haven't a clue what the term "concept art" applies to.

well I do 3d renders of buildings as a job, using light tracers (trying to say my eye is sort of trained) , and that image comparing it to the source images a video looks mightly similar in style, very accurate too...

but i think people are just going by the fact,, that it says concept art.. confuses the hell outta me. i gotta belive its one or other.. (if its not concept art.. woo! go valve for causing contreversey in the community... again :p)

(sorry if i spelt contreversey wrong) lol, sleepy :dozey:

Whether it's a concept or not, it's a 3D model if you ask me.

Maybe it's both? An environment in the game that they created in source but was left unused for the finalized version. Left on the cutting-room floor, as it were.

I don't care what category it was found under... that thing has screen render written all over it. I just haven't been arguing because no one was really supporting me...

i support you sandman, I agree even though its tagged with 'concept art' its a render of some sort, (not scrapped work, but perhaps a teaser taster of story locations.. makes you wonder how many set pieces valve have actually constructed like this, with all the time they have had I guess there will be ridiculous amounts.. cant wait to see it all :)

It's indeed a render, but it's a concept render. Renders are 3-D art, hence, concept art :p I'm pretty sure that's not an ingame shot.

still looks v much like somthing the source engine produced comparing it. besides we all know being in spectator mode in a game, allows you to move to a distance away from the set.. and from a distance the detail looks neater and more realistic.for some reason (you might know what im yapping on about :angel: ).(Im not convinced its just a rendered concept. it looks like you can go for walkies around it, E3 style. :naughty: .). might be a set piece rendered and enhanced. or rendered and edited..? :)

Yanno what that pic reminds me of? It gives me the same impression that Myst and Riven and Myst III: Exile did. Anyone else have the same feeling?

Come to think of it, that does look Exile-esque. Kind of like a combination between that powerhouse age and the giant marble track age, with some Riven-looking terrain off in the distance.

Gabe did say that they would be adding motion blur into the Source, but that's beside the point. I still think it looks like concept art.

Anthraxxx said:
Yanno what that pic reminds me of? It gives me the same impression that Myst and Riven and Myst III: Exile did. Anyone else have the same feeling?

Atmosphere. Yes. Look / feel? Nah, not really. I know what you're sayin', though dude.

Anthraxxx said:
Indeed, it looks like a digital painting rather then a render.

ElFuhrer said:
Gabe did say that they would be adding motion blur into the Source, but that's beside the point. I still think it looks like concept art.

He did?! SWEET! Lol, I never remember him sayin' that. :D :D w00t4g3!

it gives me the impression of Half Life. with the rock formation, like the one area in Hl1 where your on the cliff edge fighting the Army.. yes I think it has the Half life Atmosphere surrounding it. with the slightly unrealistic backgrounding too. (Black Mesa)

Check out a lot of the concept art. It all has "perfect" geometry. My guess is that their "concept art" is rough geometry with art, rendering, blurs, etc. added over to it. If anyone remembers the 16 page PC Gamer insert about HL2 in their May 2003 issue, there's a lot of art that looks like this piece.

(The shaft with men rappelling down, the white ship's cargo hold, the machinery, the "gulag")

Does everybody remember this??
Concept art... even though some (including me) thought it was in game. Never got an answer as to what kind of concept art though....

Styloid said:
Does everybody remember this??
Concept art... even though some (including me) thought it was in game. Never got an answer as to what kind of concept art though....
What sort of answer did you want?

Looks to me like simplified geometry to get the form and shadows correct, and then painted over to get the details then a few filters and bobs yer uncle concept art done. I know quite a few artists, concept and fine art who use 3D like that. It can really help with the old lighting and shadows.

Someone mentioned motion blur in one of those screenshots, Source might be getting motion blur but it wont look like that, thats a post filter if ever I saw one, new layer, create your image, apply photoshop motion blur, done. Thats not an in game blur effect.

It can be 3D, 2D, whatever, and still be a concept piece. Probably an artist and one of the designers working together, one comes up with the sketches and the simplified geometry the other guy turns them into proper concept work. A productive way of doing the job, be easy to manage small two man teams like that and their both working all the time. So probably something like that, or a couple of guys doing them on their own.

Edit: forgot to say damn thats a cool bit of concept art! :)

The first image in question is definitely possible with the source & shi**y after filter effects.

The second image in question is the same thing.

If I am wrong about them using 3D to create those images, then they sure wasted a lot of time on those pictures, and made them a little too well.

Anyway, I'm guilty of shitting up a complete project and calling it concept work. A horrible habit learned from English classes where I can write a paper correctly the first time, but am expected to have a rough draft.

I would have said it was concept art at first, but after seeing that pic in high quality, (I saw the scan first) I think there is a chance it might be in-game. Either way, who cares? it looks cool. :p

Btw, I figured this could be possible, total speculation I know, but still interesting:

The Depot, outside view.
Inside the Depot.

The 2nd screen does look like it has some type of alien "landing pads" they actualy seem very Matrix-like (the enterance way into Zion...) Anyone else agree?

That picture is not from the inside of the Depot. Its the combine citedel thing. Atleast I'm 98% sure it is. Considering the fact that the combine fortress constantly expands sections of its walls seperatly which engulfs City 17 a little at a time, looking at that screen shot seems to show sections of walls with the ability to expand just the same. Also the Depot is not round, and the walls around the Citedel is.

I think it's Source rendered concept art. One thing is for sure, it's 3D geometry and all real concept art of HL2 we've seen was 2D hand drawn.
Source can do this, no reason why not, it's mostly just really nice high res textures (I think the rocks are 1024x1024)
If it were huge amounts of polygons, I'd say it has to be concept art, but it's not really that high poly here.
Another possibility is a XSI render with HL2 game material, so with a better renderer.

That image is definately not ingame, there are way too many polys in it, the textures are way too sharp especialy at that distance and you can see the bumpmapping on the cliffs which is on completely the wrong scale for it to be ingame.

hmm...its really nice concept art thou.. really nice
that would be neat if that was hl2 graphics....maybe its a surprise :naughty:

If that is rendered with the Source engine...../me craps pants.

Makes no difference to me if its concept art or not. When the game is done it will look a lot like that if not better :) That picture should be made into a painting so i can hang it on my wall , its that good.

Ive played the level with the begining of that bridge, it doesnt look that good. I also know what the depot is about :( I hate the leak it ruined hl2 for meeeeeeee

You guys are probably right...
I don't see why HL2 can't look like that in game. We've already seen the HDR demo that looks as good. Don't forget one of the reasons (beside efficiency) that Valve uses static lighting- it looks more realistic.

Back