New Health Packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reginald

Reaction score
A recent mini article in PC Gamer UK told about the Red Cross asking games companies to stop using the international Red Cross symbol when indicating health was available. The article then used Half Life 2 as a prime example of a violent game involving a charity symbol.

I was just wondering whether Valve will be changing the Health Packs for Aftermath to co-ordinate with this new request. And if they are changing them, I hope they release a patch to change the logo throughout the entire game.

I also wonder what could be used, seeing as the red cross is such a recognised symbol.

Hahahahhahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhhahahahaha
That is all.

Edit: The med-kits have the initals MSF on them, anyone know what that stands for.

ríomhaire said:
Medicine without limits?

*shrug* I assume so.

Do HL2 packs have Red Crosses on? Because I remember the PCG article targeting HL2 in particular.

Yes, infact they have 2 as well has that wierd symbol with the 2 snakes and wings.

This is stupid in my opinion. I'll bet they are gonna replace the red cross with a blue cross:p .

ríomhaire said:
Yes, infact they have 2 as well has that wierd symbol with the 2 snakes and wings.
Why did you laugh at me then? :sleep:

Unless you were laughing at the stupidness of the red cross. In which case...:cheese:

Of course I was laughing at red cross :cheese:

I don't see what problem the Red Cross have with this... if anything, Games are giving them Advertisements :D

Sufferin-rebel said:
I don't see what problem the Red Cross have with this... if anything, Games are giving them Advertisements :D
It's because they'd rather not be associated with violence.

Also: HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH that is mad.

I never noticed the Red Cross symbol, I only noticed that weird intertwining snake thing.
If Valve wants to change the Red Cross Symbol I dont really care.

Yeh, having the red cross symbol on Medpacks is something we're used to, but it doesn't make any sense. A white cross on a green background would be more appropriate as it's the first aid symbol.

Add this to the never-ending ridiculous string of someone having a problem with violent videogames. Sufferin's right, it's free advertisement. You get hurt, who do you go to? Red Cross!

This is very old news :/

I think the PC GAMER podcast made a good point about this. Forgot what ep it was tho.

Darkside55 said:
Add this to the never-ending ridiculous string of someone having a problem with violent videogames. Sufferin's right, it's free advertisement. You get hurt, who do you go to? Red Cross!

The reason they did it wasnt because of violent video games. ugh i cant explain it just try and find the podcast ep.

Yes. It is quite legally their copyrighted symbol. Just, no-one cares about it. And I mean NO-ONE.

The symbol was NOT invented by Red Cross and has been with us since ages.
The red cross first showed up (with its current meaning) in medeival ages (or maybe a bit earlier), while the symbol with the snake is known since Sumer (pre-Babylon) and has always been associated with medicine.

The Red Cross' objection to the use of the symbol is that it can dilute the meaning of the symbol, that is protecting a medic who is treating battlefield wounded. It's not just a "violent games are bad" thing.

Well, I'm not sure about their concerns to be honest- it does sound exceedingly petty. I'm still yet to see an item marked with the red cross that can be used for offensive or inappropriate means.

For goodness sake, it lets the protagonist/good guys heal themselves/their allies! It's never a damn weapon!

Just like the damn Nazi's claiming the swastika as their own and stopping anyone else from legitimately using it, even though it's actually an ancient symbol. But this is increasingly bizzare, because I would've taken it as a compliment that even in a game universe full of violence and terror the red cross emblem appears on objects designed solely to alleviate those troubles :|

Twerps.

MSF does stand for Medicins Sans Frontieres, who are basically a group of roving doctors who do charity work in third-world countries...using money that YOU donate.

RainMan said:
MSF does stand for Medicins Sans Frontieres, who are basically a group of roving doctors who do charity work in third-world countries...using money that YOU donate.
Doctors without borders?

RainMan said:
So...the Combine hired them:rolling:

Oh noes, it is teh conspiracy!! Green Peace together with Red Cross is working with the Combine so they can steal our health packs:eek:

Redneck said:
Oh noes, it is teh conspiracy!! Green Peace together with Red Cross is working with the Combine so they can steal our health packs:eek:

i wouldn't put it past Green Peace to do that.

I must be the only one who agrees with The Red Cross then, I don't condone violence or war either - unless it is necessary. I mean, video games designers could put anything on the health packs - gamers won't care.

On the other hand, the symbol has been used in violent video games for years, so why are they acting now?

AfternoonLemon said:
I must be the only one who agrees with The Red Cross then, I don't condone violence or war either - unless it is necessary. I mean, video games designers could put anything on the health packs - gamers won't care.

On the other hand, the symbol has been used in violent video games for years, so why are they acting now?

The Red Cross is not the keeper of all that is holy in the world. They didn't invent the red plus, and the Geneva convention states that the medical corps of any military force can use it. So it is not their trademark.

Gamemakers could shift to another sign, but they are not obliged to do this. I cannot imagine why the Red Cross doesn't have anything better to worry about.

This is stupid! You can't OWN a symbol, espcially 2 red sticks crossing eachother! STUPID RED CROSS HEALTH PEOPLE!!!

Just reverse the colors and tell everyone it's the Swiss flag. It'd even fit the 'euro-quagmire' that City-17 is.

Adabiviak said:
Just reverse the colors and tell everyone it's the Swiss flag. It'd even fit the 'euro-quagmire' that City-17 is.

Now THERE's an idea ;)

No, I don't think the Red Cross are claiming to 'own' the symbol, it's just when you see a red cross that's who you think of. It's fair enough that they do not want 'violence for fun', so to speak, associated with them. You have to see both sides of an argument!

AfternoonLemon said:
No, I don't think the Red Cross are claiming to 'own' the symbol, it's just when you see a red cross that's who you think of. It's fair enough that they do not want 'violence for fun', so to speak, associated with them. You have to see both sides of an argument!

The Canadian Red Cross has explicitly said that it wants to 'protect the trademark'. Yes, gamemakers could switch to another symbol, but they are not obliged to do this.

I think they should rotate it 45 degrees. The red 'x' isn't trademarked.

Yar. I notice something box-like on the ground, I run to it. Come to thing of it, that might make a good surprise enemy. Like a headcrab hiding under a health kit. 'Ooh, some health! I surely need it after that last batt- AAAGGHHH IT'S EATING MY EYES!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back