New Nvidia drivers enabling DirectX 9.0c

MysticalMrBob

Reaction score
The new Nvidia drivers are out. Finally. When was the last time they released drivers? ATI is pwning them in customer service.

Besides that, these new drivers not only improve overall graphics, but enable DX 9.0c on most GeForces. Thing is, while my CS:S will/is now running in 9.0c, my HL2 is still stuck in 8.1 and I can't change it. WTF?

Anyone else have this?

What drivers? All I see are the 66.93's which have been out for quite a while.

Ahh, no fecking wonder why it seemed like it's been so long. It really hasn't. I only thought these were new as I had read it in the Steam Forums and it was the first I'd heard of it, and they were new to me.

But my question remains. Why does CSS run in DX9 but not HL2?

MysticalMrBob said:
ATI is pwning them in customer service.
Ha! The only reason ATI releases so many drivers is because they're broken and have to be customized for every newly released game.

Mountain Man said:
Ha! The only reason ATI releases so many drivers is because they're broken and have to be customized for every newly released game.

yeah, but everyone said the same thing about nvidia when they were the only game in town for a while

I do know that the Catalyst Control Center is a preverbial pain in the backside. It's really slow, and wouldn't work at first (then I remembered I needed the .net framework to even get it running).

I wonder if I can remove the Catalyst Control Center without affecting my drivers.

Because you shouldn't have got an FX card in the first place. nVidia's computer engineers REALLY screwed up the pixel shading pipeline, and pixel shader performance in general is really, REALLY low. Here's a benchmark that shows the % in performance drop (more than HALF?! Screw THAT!) http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2281&p=3

Nvidia was dumb when I had my last card. It was DX8 on the hardware side, but DX9 on the software side....which means it would try really hard to do the DX9 stuff, but never could because it was a freakn' DX8 card. Now I've got an ATI and I'm damn happy with it.

NVIDIA has a pros and cons. But I still haven't encountered any problem with my NVIDIA card.

This is a controversial topic, as there is some evidence that Valve deliberately avoided using the Nvidia feature of Partial Precision shaders when compiling the games, thus unfairly handicapping GeforceFX cards. FX owners can get significantly better performance and better visuals by following the directions in this thread (there are similar threads at nvnews.net and steampowered):

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115614

rms

NO ONE really answered my question. My question was why is DX9 enabled in CS:S and not HL:2?

czrsink said:
I do know that the Catalyst Control Center is a preverbial pain in the backside. It's really slow, and wouldn't work at first (then I remembered I needed the .net framework to even get it running).

I wonder if I can remove the Catalyst Control Center without affecting my drivers.
You can uninstall the Catalyst Control center without affecting your drivers.
Even better, download the newest Omega drivers from www.omegadrivers.net ; they're modified Catalysts, are completely safe and have a custom control panel that has all the features the Catalyst Control Center has. Image quality and performance is also improved by them. Plus, they don't need the .net framework, which takes up a lot of ram when .NET based applications are running.

u type -dxlevel 90 in launch options but i turned it on i dont notice a difference accept lag. but dx9 in css is because hl2 has alot more activity going on in than game then in cs im just guessing though

Back