New PC

riTuaL

Reaction score
I'm wondering if these specs are worth the price:

ATX MEDIUM TOWER CASE 350 WATT
Super Alien 500 Watt See Through Power Supply w/ Fan Speed Control
AMD ATHLON64 3400+ Processor
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe VIA K8T800 Chipset AGP8X w/LAN,USB2,IEEE,&Audio
1024 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY (Kingston)
estern Digital 80GB 7200RPM ATA 100 8MB Special Editon
ATI Radeon X800 PRO 256MB DDR3 8x AGP W/ TV-OUT & DVI
Sony 16X DVD ROM
ARTEC CD-RW 52X32X52
Creative Labs SB LIVE VALUE 5.1
Microsoft® Windows® XP PROFESSIONAL ****Not sure about this yet, I might keep my Windows XP Home****

..for $1797.00

I also get a 5% discount so it comes to about $1712, but with standard shipping it'll be about $1767. So, what do you guys think about the components and the price they are giving me? If you see any areas where I could save some money, let me know, I'd appreciate it ;D

350 Watt won't support that hardware. Get a better case; at least 500 Watt. Everything else is perfect, but I have an X800-XT and it's 10x better, IMO, as I have a X800 Pro on my other computer.

Predator said:
350 Watt won't support that hardware. Get a better case; at least 500 Watt. Everything else is perfect, but I have an X800-XT and it's 10x better, IMO, as I have a X800 Pro on my other computer.

You're 15 and you have all that expensive hardware? :| Only child? Drug smuggler? What!? ;)

Only child, mom is a lawer, dad is a pilot for American Airlines. I get good stuff, however I never get to see them. :(

More like you're a drug lord! ;) I kid, I kid.
Anyway, feel free to mail me one of those cards :)

They give you something to make up for something else? Seems like it, thats sad dude, I feel bad for you.

riTuaL said:
I'm wondering if these specs are worth the price:

ATX MEDIUM TOWER CASE 350 WATT
Super Alien 500 Watt See Through Power Supply w/ Fan Speed Control
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe VIA K8T800 Chipset AGP8X w/LAN,USB2,IEEE,&Audio
1024 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY (Kingston)
estern Digital 80GB 7200RPM ATA 100 8MB Special Editon
ATI Radeon X800 PRO 256MB DDR3 8x AGP W/ TV-OUT & DVI
Sony 16X DVD ROM
ARTEC CD-RW 52X32X52
Creative Labs SB LIVE VALUE 5.1
Microsoft® Windows® XP PROFESSIONAL ****Not sure about this yet, I might keep my Windows XP Home****

..for $1797.00

I also get a 5% discount so it comes to about $1712, but with standard shipping it'll be about $1767. So, what do you guys think about the components and the price they are giving me? If you see any areas where I could save some money, let me know, I'd appreciate it ;D

Don't buy XP Pro. Just use your XP Home and save your money for when the 64-bit XP comes out since your getting an AMD 64.

DiSTuRbEd said:
They give you something to make up for something else? Seems like it, thats sad dude, I feel bad for you.

Not really, I do see my mom at nights, dad is just about always gone. I wouldn't say 'to make up for it'. My parents aren't like that. :p

So, don't suppose that 9800XT would like to find a better home? ;)

As for the original topic at hand, that price sounds more than fair. As Predator said, you might want to get a stronger PSU.

ACLeroK212 said:
Don't buy XP Pro. Just use your XP Home and save your money for when the 64-bit XP comes out since your getting an AMD 64.

You only want to have the 64-bit Version of XP if you are on the leading edge of software and/or are stupid.

When WIndows XP 64 bit comes out, it will likely have plenty of software/performance problems to deal with. It would be easier to stick with Windows XP (preferable Profesional edition).

What is the difference between the case's wattage and the actual PSU's?

"Super Alien 500 Watt See Through Power Supply w/ Fan Speed Control" <---2nd on my list of hardware... I may be wrong because I do not know that much about hardware.. Will my case not be able to house this or something? Please help me out D;

Ah. I hadn't noticed that. Basically, the case you're buying includes a PSU. It would definitely be generic, and too underpowered for your system.

As you already plan on getting a 500watt PSU along with the case, you should be fine :thumbs:

Ok, thanks alot Shuzer :D I was getting a bit confused by some of this haha, but thanks for clearing it up.

By the way, get the X800 XT and you will see a huge difference in FPS.

Predator said:
By the way, get the X800 XT and you will see a huge difference in FPS.

If the cpu is bottlenecking he won't see much difference in fps.

Not likely to bottleneck it.. I could be wrong though :rolling:

Back